Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Like Tree10Likes

Just ordered Sky Fibre, well, I tried!

This is a discussion on Just ordered Sky Fibre, well, I tried! within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; and offers far higher speeds ("up to" 76mb/19mb download/upload). Sky Fibre Pro also offers this, quite a few of our ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Just ordered Sky Fibre, well, I tried!

and offers far higher speeds ("up to" 76mb/19mb download/upload).
      Sky Fibre Pro also offers this, quite a few of our members already have it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      grotius is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: D-Link Dir615, DD-WRT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

That's good to know! Although Sky's test only show my line able to go to 40mb (BT tests say I can get 56.1mb/18.0mb download/upload). Sky's test doesn't show me any upload speeds, so I am not really sure what to think!
      Grotius the Great - alias Fearless Fang.

iZucchini is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Finchley
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Fibre Pro I believe is an over the phone upgrade only. BT say I'm able to get 66.9/20 but I can't justify having that kind of speed. 40/10 is good enough for me!

Thanks

Call 08442 410 602 for information on Sky Fibre Pro.

See here- Sky Fibre Unlimited - Unlimited fibre optic broadband from Sky

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Snak3zZ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDCAS
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grotius View Post
      Ok, thx. It was news to me. In a way, it's a blessing in disguise, as it is making me evaluate how much I am paying to Sky and to investigate whether I can get a better deal elsewhere. BT Infinity + BT line rental is not much higher (max 3.10pm extra) and offers far higher speeds ("up to" 76mb/19mb download/upload). However, at the moment, Sky Talk Anytime seems unbeatable, and it may be what eventually makes me swallow the line rental pill with Sky Fibre ...
      I would say Sky are still a better deal, I managed to get them to waver the 50.00 setup fee and the BT line rental is actually more expensive unless you pay 12 months worth. Also the BT contract is 18 months and not 12 like Sky. Sky have the Unlimited Pro, which is up to 80MB/20MB. Worth noting these things. Oh and I personally think Sky support is much better than BT previously when I have spoken to both.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snak3zZ View Post
      I would say Sky are still a better deal, I managed to get them to waver the 50.00 setup fee and the BT line rental is actually more expensive unless you pay 12 months worth. Also the BT contract is 18 months and not 12 like Sky. Sky have the Unlimited Pro, which is up to 80MB/20MB. Worth noting these things. Oh and I personally think Sky support is much better than BT previously when I have spoken to both.
      If not for the compulsory line rental debacle, I would sign up for Sky Fibre without hesitation. But I don't want their line rental, and I don't like being railroaded into getting something that I don't want. And I don't see the need for insisting on it either. There is no technical requirement for it. I guess they have so many new customers that they don't mind to risk alienating existing customers. Sky may have better support, but this sucks. So the jury is still out on this one ...

rederick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

If not for the compulsory line rental debacle, I would sign up for Sky Fibre without hesitation. But I don't want their line rental, and I don't like being railroaded into getting something that I don't want. And I don't see the need for insisting on it either. There is no technical requirement for it. I guess they have so many new customers that they don't mind to risk alienating existing customers. Sky may have better support, but this sucks. So the jury is still out on this one ...
      Well you have to have BT's line rental to have BT's fibre product (Infinity) and you have to have TalkTalk line rental to have their Fibre Boost. Virgin charge you more for cable broadband if you don't take the phone line as well.
      BT Infinity 2 FTTC (19/09/2012) - Sync: 52 Mbps / 9 Mbps - (Would consider Sky if static IP available).

Thanks

If not for the compulsory line rental debacle
      Its compulsory with BT too, they will not give you Infinity with Sky rental.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Its compulsory with BT too, they will not give you Infinity with Sky rental.
      Fair point - but, at present, they are not making me change my line rental. And if I had Sky line rental and BT tries to make me change in order to get Infinity, then I would be just as peeved. Futile, I know - after all, what power does the consumer have?

Snak3zZ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDCAS
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks

Fair point - but, at present, they are not making me change my line rental. And if I had Sky line rental and BT tries to make me change in order to get Infinity, then I would be just as peeved. Futile, I know - after all, what power does the consumer have?
      Unfortunately not much unless you have too much time on your hands. Fair point though, if you are certain that BT will not charge you more for your line rental then it doesn't seem a bad deal and overall the faster speed package is cheaper on BT. However I do think that you should double check on it as you will be stuck for 18 months otherwise. Also BTs line rental is going up next year (thinkbroadband :: BT line rental to rise above 15 from January 2013).

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast