Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Router Says 79999kb/s Speed test 40mb/s help

This is a discussion on Router Says 79999kb/s Speed test 40mb/s help within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, Im on fibre pro and router states its on 79meg estimates speed was 74 meg however im only getting ...

Knightlore is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Router Says 79999kb/s Speed test 40mb/s help

Hi,

Im on fibre pro and router states its on 79meg estimates speed was 74 meg however im only getting speeds of around 40 meg

any ideas whats going on??

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      EternalDeath is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01283
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Router Says 79999kb/s Speed test 40mb/s help

Hi

I'm on SKY fibre and get 40mbps at the router but around half that to my wireless devices.

When I spoke to SKY technical, they advised that part of the loss is caused by wireless loss, ie wireless connections always lose bandwidth. The rest apparently is caused by the fact that the router broadcasts using the newer 'n' type protocol, but older devices receive in a 'g' format....and that apparently causes a significant loss of speed.

I can kind of substantiate that as my new mobile phone is getting 28mbps, which is 10 more than my laptop.

Something else I discovered with SKY fibre is that the original 'factory settings' for the router, including encryption, seem to give the best speed. I changed ny encryption to WEP to allow an older device to connect and it slowed the internet speed down quite a bit. When I did a factory reset it speeded up again....reading other posts it appears that factory settings are optimised for speed....obvious really I guess.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Johnelf is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ewell
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: BT Home Hub 4
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EternalDeath View Post
      Hi

I'm on SKY fibre and get 40mbps at the router but around half that to my wireless devices.

When I spoke to SKY technical, they advised that part of the loss is caused by wireless loss, ie wireless connections always lose bandwidth. The rest apparently is caused by the fact that the router broadcasts using the newer 'n' type protocol, but older devices receive in a 'g' format....and that apparently causes a significant loss of speed.

I can kind of substantiate that as my new mobile phone is getting 28mbps, which is 10 more than my laptop.

Something else I discovered with SKY fibre is that the original 'factory settings' for the router, including encryption, seem to give the best speed. I changed ny encryption to WEP to allow an older device to connect and it slowed the internet speed down quite a bit. When I did a factory reset it speeded up again....reading other posts it appears that factory settings are optimised for speed....obvious really I guess.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
      Hi

Best if you plug a pc in wired and run a speed test there.
      that will show a more accurate result, to get around 40 using wireless is damn good. I use a new iPad and iPhone 4s and they both get around 25 down due to wireless restrictions. I personally older if it worth having pro version if using only via wireless and the restrictions on the Sagem router.

John

Knightlore is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Thanks for the replies. Its a new laptop which is a wireless n adaptor and shows the connection to the router is 144mb ive run a speed test on wired as well and this show a speed around 59 which is still nowhere near the 74mb estimate.

Latest test wired.

I would have thought there would be little through put loss on an ethernet connection, i also can understand if the connection between adaptor and router is 144mb why the drop in speed.

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Super Fibre
      Router: Ubiquiti Unifi
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

speedtest.net is not that accurate for speed tests. try using a different server i.e london and try downloading a large file. you could also try JD's auto speed tester. link is in my sig

make sure that you are using a wired connection for these tests.
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > RT-86U Merlin | 58301/12298

rederick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EternalDeath View Post
      N wireless needs WPA2 - any other security setting and it will be slower.

Ethernet has virtually no overheads which is why with a cheap cable and a cheap card (10 in PCworld) you can get 1000 megabit speeds easily.

Wireless is a lot trickier and there are lots of things that interfere. Even in a no interference place wireless G (sold as 54 megabit) gets a maximum of 22 megabit throughput in real world tests. Wireless N can run at various speeds depending on how many "streams" are in the transmitter and the receiver. Phones tend to only have 1 but most home routers have 2 and some have 3. Many laptops have 2 or 3. You will see this as 72 mbps, 144 mbps, or 300 mbps type speeds.

You can still get less than a real world 100mbps throughput on a wireless link that says 145mbps sadly - this is just how wireless works.
      BT Infinity 2 FTTC (19/09/2012) - Sync: 52 Mbps / 9 Mbps - (Would consider Sky if static IP available).

Shonk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Asus RT-AC88U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

speedtest.net is very accurate if you arnt running through a cache server
      *.sky.com ip's all run through a cache server hence why some users on say 16meg get a 40meg benchmark once in a while
      due to the cache server being benchmarked

*.easynet.net ip's dont run through a cache server my speedtest's are bang on

so i presume it will be the same with vdsl everyone will be running through a cache server for http

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

so i presume it will be the same with vdsl everyone will be running through a cache server for http
      That is possibly why the Official BT server nearly always gives the full speed. Try doing a speed test with ethernet there and see what it returns. You need Java installed. Test Result

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

rederick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shonk View Post
      speedtest.net is very accurate if you arnt running through a cache server
      *.sky.com ip's all run through a cache server hence why some users on say 16meg get a 40meg benchmark once in a while
      due to the cache server being benchmarked

*.easynet.net ip's dont run through a cache server my speedtest's are bang on

Any evidence for Sky passing everyone's HTTP traffic through a proxy cache?
      That sort of nonsense was tried on NTL cable in the 512kbps days (1999 to 2001) and they quickly found the users usage broke the cache software. It didn't scale.

Lagado's proxy test is quite useful to see if you are being proxied:
      Proxy Test

I've got friends on SVBN and on former Easynet network kit, and neither are being cached.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      That is possibly why the Official BT server nearly always gives the full speed. Try doing a speed test with ethernet there and see what it returns. You need Java installed. Test Result
      I believe BT's tester and the thinkbroadband tester both don't use HTTP. The flash tester on thinkbroadband might. Speedtest.net and sites such as bbmax all use flash and they probably use HTTP - but MIGHT use HTTPS which would bypass any proxy cache.
      BT Infinity 2 FTTC (19/09/2012) - Sync: 52 Mbps / 9 Mbps - (Would consider Sky if static IP available).

Shonk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Asus RT-AC88U
      Thanks

I have 3 family members on the same exchange as me

all are on the sky gear im on easynet

easynet tend to do it via dns
      sky do it another way

speed tests can sometimes give huge benchmarks on the sky gear
      but never do it on easynet

I was with virgin from 1999 with broadband and know all about the inktomi cache servers
      they where junk and overloaded they still do it now but with different cache servers

How ever sky do it
      it runs well and runs just as well as my connection which isnt cached

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast