Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Fibre Woes :( Master Socket ETC

This is a discussion on Fibre Woes :( Master Socket ETC within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; So i can get fibre!!! YAY!!! however i have a bit of a problem in the fact that my master ...

jamsterdm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01362
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Fibre Woes :( Master Socket ETC

So i can get fibre!!! YAY!!! however i have a bit of a problem in the fact that my master socket where the Router has to apparently be plugged in is downstairs.

My current sky router is upstairs working fine plugged into the extension socket and im getting approx 7mbs which sky said initially i would get about that.

The problem is that upstairs in my room where the current router is i have a Blu ray smart player, a vodafone sure signal, the 1tb sky box, a PS3 and my laptop.
      3 of these items NEED a ethernet cable and 2 i would prefferably have in just for better speed.

When and if i decide to order fibre (which i want to do right now) is there anyway i can get the openreach man to switch the home socket with the extension socket upstairs as the router would be best suited up there?

any advice please as i dont want to have to fork out loads of money on powerlinks etc when i already have two but apparently they dont support wireless N

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Fibre Woes :( Master Socket ETC

I think it depends on the individual engineer you get. Some go out of their way to help in cases like yours, others will do the job as quickly as they can and get out. Just keep your finders crossed you get a good one and keep the kettle on.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

God no doubt knowing my luck ill have an evil one, when i order fibre should i state to sky that i will need the master socket moving upstairs or do i tell them to tell open reach to make sure they have lots of ethernet or what?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I don't think it will matter what you tell Sky to be honest, the order is made on a standard form and I doubt if it has space for special requests. No harm in trying though.

I think they will all carry sufficient cable to connect up the router. I believe 30m is the maximum they will install.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

so having the router upstairs should be no problem then i guess seeings as the extension socket is virtually under the master socket

Paul2003 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leamington Spa
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      My master socket is right over other side of my room, engineer asked where I wanted router (by my TV & 360)he then ran a thin cable from master socket around skirting board to modem that's by TV then from that I plugged my router in. Engineer was great

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2003 View Post
      My master socket is right over other side of my room, engineer asked where I wanted router (by my TV & 360)he then ran a thin cable from master socket around skirting board to modem that's by TV then from that I plugged my router in. Engineer was great
      Sweet, Hopefully ill have a nice one. will order later, cheers for your responses and anyone else reading please do feel free to add your experiences of Fibre Installs

Thanks

Just ordered they offered me 112 off my phone bill over 12 months