Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Router recomendation needed

This is a discussion on Router recomendation needed within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there. I just got my Fibre Unlimited installed, and i think its time to get rid off my Sky ...

Ballantin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bradwell Abbey
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Router recomendation needed

Hi there.

I just got my Fibre Unlimited installed, and i think its time to get rid off my Sky router.

The main reason is that before i was limited by my ADSL speeds (only 12Mb down /1Mb up, about 60 ping). But now that i have a noticeable increased speed, i found that the Sagem router is not as good as to fullfit my needs.

I got 3 computers, iPhone, iPad, PS3, the TV and the Sky HD box on the net, plus ocasionally another 2-3 more mobile devices. This means that i need a router that supports a big amount of connections (for example for torrents), a good WiFi, and enought processing power. I really dont care so much if i need to install a linux based custom firmware, but preffer to no, so i dont need to mess so much to get the additional features working. Guest net will be awesome too.

Any advice on specific models? My budget is up to 150.

Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

Re: Router recomendation needed

The Billion 7800N is currently the only router (with a beta firmware) which will use the manufacturer's firmware.

Most other Cable routers will work with DD-WRT's firmware and will support Sky's connection.

These are the two options that you can choose from without using the Sky router between the BTO Modem and your modem.

The alternative would then be to follow the instructions in Tom's post here: http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...nk-dir613.html

Personally, with what you have listed, a router that supports both 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels would be suitable. The Billion 7800N only supports 2.4GHz channels. There are quite a few that will support both sets of channels with the DD-WRT firmware from other companies.

The next issues to influence you will be WiFi speed (300mb, 450mb, 750mb or 1.3gb) and LAN speed (100mb or 1Gbit).

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

Thanks Scubbie

There is any (or some) routers that are more interesting options, in terms of processing power, connections supported and routing tables? I mean, i will not do an intensive use of the network all the time, but at times maybe i will be doing it, and i know its easier than someone can think to get the router working and 100% of its capacity (and then getting capped by it!!!).

I know, its not a big issue, but i love to keep things running smooth.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

I was using the Netgear WNDR3800 before something else turned up (more about this elsewhere on the forum ) and found it to be a very nice router. I was using Netgear's firmware, not the DD-WRT firmware, with either the Sagem 2304n, Netgear DGN2000 or Netgear DM111P being used to dial my connection to Sky. These options are essentially based on Tom's document.

I love the Netgear Genie app (various platforms). One of the nice tools it has is the ability to view, in a graphical form, the connected devices on your LAN. It also has a piece to fix things when your connection goes down. This only works with Netgear's Genie firmware though.

In your case you could use the manufacturer's firmware with the Sagem 2504N between the BTO Modem and your own Cable router if you don't want to use DD-WRT's firmware.

I would suggest that you avoid the Netgear R6300 (the 1.3Gb WiFi) router at present. There are a few too many issues to be ironed out on the firmware.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Ballantin (27-07-12)

Thanks

Well really i dont have any problem with DD-WRT, but last time i installed it (a while ago) i found it getting my poor Asus router getting slower than before. But this was like 2 years ago or so, with an asus ADSL2 router, in Spain.

I think i will need to look for some reviews and to check the manufacturers websites to find the specs i need to look for.

Many thanks Scubbie

Damo82 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: HD+ Litmited Ed
      Thanks

I am going to be swapping my buffalo for a TP Link TL-WR2543ND as soon as it gets DD WRT.

Check out DD WRT it is super powerfull, it does everything but make my coffee