Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Speed synch keeps dropping

This is a discussion on Speed synch keeps dropping within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; When I got Sky Fibre I was told I would get a speed of 26.4 mb/s down. When it was ...

tomthered is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irlam
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Actual speed keeps dropping

When I got Sky Fibre I was told I would get a speed of 26.4 mb/s down. When it was installed the engineer said my line would take 33 mb/s and showed me his speed meter. I bought a Huawei HG612 modem and unlocked it to get my stats and attainable rate which is 36 mb/s. My down speed has been dropping over the last 10 days and has dropped from 29mb/s on 10 July 2012 to 23.5 mb/s today. My upload has gradually increased and is now 5.44 mb/s according to speedtest.net, but when I got the upgrade it was only 3.97 mb/s.

I am concerned that the download speed keeps dropping, in fact last night (Friday) the speed actually dropped to 1.8 mb/s according to JDS autodownloader. This morning when I got up it had gone up to 24.3 mb/s I can see my SNR is 6.1db and the upload one was about 6.8db so it seems strange that the line quality is crap on download. The power output on the down speed is 12 volts although it has been slightly higher in the past.

I am worried that this will keep dropping as both BT and Sky fibre checker said download speed would be 26.4, and I consider 3 mb/s difference as significant. Also if you consider its a 13 mb/ s drop on the attainable it seems wrong!! In addition I am 3 mb/s below what was quoted to me which seems strange!!!!

Should I be contacting Sky over this problem? Should I mention I can see my line stats or Not?

EDIT - Well I got up this morning and its now 21.8 on JDS autodpwnloader and a line synch speed of 22.398 is showing on the HG612 stats page with an 8.5db SNR for down speed. There are now no errors showing!!! Speedtest.net shows a download of 21.11 mb/s and an upload 5.41 mb/s. Ping is still 35ms

Also when I ring Sky support would they know if I was using another modem instead of the ECI one I had, which is now temporarily replaced by the Huawei HG612 I bought?? JDS autodowloader test shows 21.8 down and 20 upload which is crazy!!
      Last edited by tomthered; 22-07-12 at 10:34 AM.

2. Advertisement
      gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Re: Speed synch keeps dropping

I'd leave it and keep an eye on it.

If your downstream SNR is above 6 then generally there is more speed to be had. I'm syncing at 65185 and SNR is 5.9/6 so I'm not going to get any better.

Are you using any extensions?
      Is the line OK (Do a quiet line test?)

Thanks

Not using any extensions at all and have completed a quiet line test. There is the vDSL master socket with my phone plugged into that and the BT OR modem which is sat on a cabinet and clear of obstructions. Sat next to this is the Sky Router.

My main concern is the tremendous speed drop. If I was getting 26.4 I couldn't really complain as that is what BT infinity checker said I would get and on my account it does state that.

A 20% speed drop from 26 to 21 seems high, bearing in mind that is 33% less than what the BT enigineer said the line would take.

I rang SKY CS this morning, spoke to the fibre team and have got to ring them back tonight when I am at home. Will keep you posted as to what they say.

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Maybe your cabinet is suffering with crosstalk (i.e. more people signing up to Fibre..)

I started at 72Mbps, but dropped to 65...

Thanks

Yeah but I have dropped from 33mb to 21mb, a drop of 36%, your drop is only 9.7%!! Anyways have just finished on the phone to the Fibre team. There tests show a possible fault in the way the modem is taking to the DSLAM. They have organised an engineer to attend the cabinet and we will see, after engineers has been the CS team will ring met.

As an aside my daughter lives on the road opposite to ours, not the same cab I dont think. Her phone and broadband just went off last week on Thursday and it seems they had done something in the CAB. She is on standard ADSL so not on fibre. Just wondered if they could have done the same to me if they have been connecting others to the cab.

BT engineer said there had been a huge takeup in the area of fibre services so would not have thought crosstalk would affect me much after 4 weeks. Up to 11 July, thats 23 days after it was fitted, it was a constant 28.9mb down with no disconnections whatsoever. Since then it dropped to 26mb/s for 9 days then dropped to 24mb/s for a couple of days and then down to 21.2 mb/s as it is current.

As I said to the fibre team, the connection was the best I ever had for 23 days and it was a constant connection. Since the new firmware upgrade today its dropped by about 500kb/s.
      Last edited by tomthered; 23-07-12 at 05:43 PM.

rederick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tomthered View Post
      There tests show a possible fault in the way the modem is taking to the DSLAM.
      That could be because you've swapped an ECI modem for a Huawei modem. You would have been given an ECI modem because your cab has an ECI DSLAM.

Thanks

Ahh I see but I put that back so hopefully they will sort it out. However would it make that much of a difference?

Thanks

Well today I am down to 19.14 mb/s download and upload is 4.34 - download not very satisfactory at all!! Thats 27.5% less than I was quoted and 42% less than what the BT engineer said the line would take. At this rate I will soon be down to my ADSL speed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope the proposed engineer visit solves it!!
      Last edited by tomthered; 24-07-12 at 05:28 PM.

Thanks

Well BT engineer wants to visit the house tomorrow, hopefully that will solve it as I am now down to 19.4 down!!

simon194 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDHAS
      Router: Sky Q Hub with Billion 8800NL in bridge mode
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rederick View Post
      That could be because you've swapped an ECI modem for a Huawei modem. You would have been given an ECI modem because your cab has an ECI DSLAM.
      I swapped my ECI modem for an unlocked Huawei and not had any problems at all apart from the Huawei can take up to 2 minutes to sync up compared to the ECI's 20 seconds.

ECI DSLAM's apparently have a slightly non-standard method of syncing the line which causes problems for non-ECI modems/routers and in particular my BiPAC 8200N which won't sync at all, it's fine when connected to a Huawei DSLAM. I'm just waiting for Billion to finish analysing the debug captures I sent them and hopefully produce firmware that will sync properly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast