Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Speed synch keeps dropping

This is a discussion on Speed synch keeps dropping within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; So they could be right that its knackered it up, thats weird. I didnt put the Huawei on until about ...

tomthered is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irlam
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Speed synch keeps dropping

So they could be right that its knackered it up, thats weird. I didnt put the Huawei on until about the 14-15 July which would tie in with the drop!! My JD grapgh shows a drop about that time so I suppose it is possible. Ah well hope this visit sorts it.

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

BT Engineer been out and says line is fine but its showing it will only give 26mb down. this seems strange when it was installed it showed 33mb. Anyway the engineer said Sky need to reset DLM. However, this is controlled by BT so Sky have got this reset to a 40/10 profile.

Since this one of the tier 3 (think thats right) has told me that the engineer has said from the profile of my line something is happening causing errors on my line between 7pm and 6am suggesting REIN from something possible a streetlamp.

Well, guess what? - There is a great big street lamp outside my front gate, about 4 metres from the router. I wonder if that is the cause of this issue. Some interesting info on the Kitz forum suggests getting a radio and tuning it to 612Khz and this can sometimes pick this up with noise coming through mmmmmmmmmm!! might try that.

Will update when I get more info

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

7pm? They come on early in the summer!

Thanks

No idea Gorebrush they may have times, line chokes etc that are faulty, but when I got home at 5.15pm we had no internet. Prior to this I had been phoned this afternoon and give Sky their due they had arranged a visit on Monday morning. My wife didnt put her laptop on until 3.30pm so we didnt know until then. I immediately rang up as the original modem was on but the DSL light was just flashing. Switched off and on but still no internet. So I rang Sky up but they said BT cannot get to me until Monday, which is when they said they would attend to check out the REIN interference and Sky would instruct them to change the modem.

So I then had a brainwave, try the Huawei HG612 modem I bought and guess what, it worked!! I phoned Sky to ask their permission on a temporary basis and they said it was OK. I told them I had borrowed a friends and they just confirmed it was an OR modem, which it is. Anyway, it synched at 33mb immediately with 6.7mb upload, best ever cos Sky got Openreach to open up the DLM for me to start again. What I cannot believe is the BT engineer this morning turning up and not even considering swapping the modem. All he did according to my wife was test the line, what bl**dy good is that? Even then it said I could only get 26mb with 25mb down, and it must be Sky; but its BT that controls the DSLAM and DLM not Sky. They even said it might have been lightening had taken it out!!

Just hope this doesn't knacker up the CAB again although they said that their tests had indicated the modem wasnt synching with the CAB properly. Will probably end up getting the to reset the DLM again when they change it to an ECI, like I had!!

Any thoughts people??

EDIT Just noticed I have a 176 IP address before I had the 94 one
      Last edited by tomthered; 27-07-12 at 09:49 PM.

Thanks

Well checked this morning still synched at 33mb, throughput still same as last night. Checked modem page:--

Synch Speed 33381
      HEC error count is 341,
      FEC error count is 2066
      CRC error none whatsoever on download.

The Upload has 4 on one so not worth bothering about and Synch speed is 6979.

Still logged in from 8pm last night not dropped at all.

EDIT also noticed the Speedtest server is in Leeds, not London as my other tests were on previous modem.
      Last edited by tomthered; 28-07-12 at 10:19 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12