Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Hub moved for Fibre...how to connect existing devices?

This is a discussion on Hub moved for Fibre...how to connect existing devices? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All,I had Sky Fibre installed earlier today. My old Sky Broadband was in my room, but the BT engineer ...

KPGills is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01634
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hub moved for Fibre...how to connect existing devices?

Hi All,I had Sky Fibre installed earlier today. My old Sky Broadband was in my room, but the BT engineer had to install the fibre in the main socket in the lounge.We are in a bungalow, but I had 8 devices (4 into the old sky broadband hub and 3 into a Netgear 10/100 switch) running off the broadband connection.Having upgraded to FIbre can I run a cat 5 cable from the fibre hub to the old sky router and still use it and all the connections, or will the speed increase more if I brought a new 8 switch hub? (which speed is best?).Is their an easier way than running a long cat 5 cable to get a connection in my room? Will a power socket adaptor support the speed?Thanks a lot,Keith

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Re: Hub moved for Fibre...how to connect existing devices?

Some people have been commenting on issues with some HomePlugs not being very good with the SFUP product, but most should be fine with the SFU (40/10) product. I don't know which ones have more issues than others at this stage though.

What you could do is to configure your old Sky router to piggyback onto the new Sky router. Once you have checked that it all works, connect the two routers together using a pair of HomePlugs. If you configure the WiFi to use the same name and security details on both routers, you could also use the 2nd router as an Access Point for any WiFi devices.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...-together.html

Ideally look for a pair of HomePlugs which support 200mbps. They are around 35 for a pair.

P.S. if any member wishes to gather some feedback on which HomePlugs and PowerLine adapters work well or not with SFU & SFUP we would be grateful. At the moment I am doing some other project behind the scenes so wouldn't want to take this up just now.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Damo82 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: HD+ Litmited Ed
      Thanks

what device do u have, depending on what device u have you might greatly benefit from using a gigabit switch

KPGills is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01634
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies above.

I have brought two 200MB Power Socket Adaptors and a new Gigabit 8 port switch, that should hopefully connect my Xbox, Sky Anytime, Slingbox etc to the new Fibre hub.

Just have to wait for the BT engineer to come back and make it work now, as he left it yesterday saying their was a problem with the sky Fibre Router which is not his job to fix, I called Sky who did a line test and said it's not connected correctly at the cabinet!

Thanks again,

Keith