Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By Isitme

DLM Questions + others

This is a discussion on DLM Questions + others within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; A few queries about DLM , Its been 11 days, and interleaving has been added to my line, pherhaps because ...

skyiron34 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llanishien
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

DLM Questions + others

A few queries about DLM, Its been 11 days, and interleaving has been added to my line, pherhaps because I was fiddling around with a few things turning the modem n router on and off they thought there were faults. I'd rather they just knock the speed down and keep interleave off. Anyways, my questions :

- Who controls DLM? Sky or open reach? Who would I go to for fiddling with my line?

-Customers are meant to leave the modem on for 10 days, does the router also have to be left on? I was messing with the router not the modem on some occasions, wondered if this made a difference.

-Do sky or openreach have the controls to just turn off interleave if I called ? Or would I have to ask for DLM to be renabled?

- Is the DLM 10 days? My engineer suggested it was longer.

-My routers throughput seems to steadily decrease after being left on for a very long time, a reboot fixes this up, has anyone experienced problems like that with the openreach modem?

-DNS servers, what are they ? How do they differ? ( this might be a big one I know )

Thanks in advance!

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: DLM Questions + others

Quote Originally Posted by skyiron34 View Post
      A few queries about DLM, Its been 11 days, and interleaving has been added to my line, pherhaps because I was fiddling around with a few things turning the modem n router on and off they thought there were faults. I'd rather they just knock the speed down and keep interleave off. Anyways, my questions :
      You can't change the "Interleave" with the Sky router. Ideally you should leave the router on 24/7.

- Who controls DLM? Sky or open reach? Who would I go to for fiddling with my line?
      As you are on an ADSL connection, it will be Sky's equipment runs the DLM software 24/7. Once the initial training period has been completed, the line can be manually configured.

-Customers are meant to leave the modem on for 10 days, does the router also have to be left on? I was messing with the router not the modem on some occasions, wondered if this made a difference.
      Ideally you should leave any router on 24/7 and refrain from power cycling it too often as this can be interpreted as a line fault. The occasional power cycle or disconnection is fine. If you post your connection statistics we can confirm things for you.

-Do sky or openreach have the controls to just turn off interleave if I called ? Or would I have to ask for DLM to be renabled?
      All down to Sky since you are on Sky's Unlimited package according to your profile.

- Is the DLM 10 days? My engineer suggested it was longer.
      DLM start upto 3 days after the installation. After that it will take between 3 and 20 days to complete. In the majority of cases it will be 10 days at the very most, 3-5 days is common.

-My routers throughput seems to steadily decrease after being left on for a very long time, a reboot fixes this up, has anyone experienced problems like that with the openreach modem?
      Please post your connection statistics.

How to get your router statistics - Sky User - The unofficial support forum for everything Sky!

-DNS servers, what are they ? How do they differ? ( this might be a big one I know )
      You can't change them on the router, but you can change them on your computer. Wikipedia has more infor on this topic though.

Domain Name System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Opinion varies on which DNS servers to use. OpenDNS is quite popular.

::. Kitz - DNS and mail servers .::

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Damo82 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: HD+ Litmited Ed
      Thanks

if you on fibre then only bt have access to DLM, and it run continously from the cabinet to your house. As for interleaving due to less control over fibre comapred to LLU adsl they can't turn it off. It is set very low and should not effect pings as sky fibre when it working will be around 5ms to 20 ms max from what i see other user reporting. If you unlucky like me and have a fault then it will be very high (mine is 60ms+)

skyiron34 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llanishien
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Ah my bad Scubbie! I hadn't updated my profile.. I am indeed on fibre now.

@ Damo, continuously? Does that mean there is never a good time to restart my modem + router? And when you say they can't turn it off, you mean sky can't right? Have you tried to get BT to turn it off for you ?

Thanks for the replies all

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

It should not matter what you do with your router, DLM stops at the modem. As said, in the same way as ADSL DLM runs continually on your line. However rebooting the modem a couple of times a day should not effect it. Only reboooting the modem several times in an hour will cause DLM to kick in.

I don't think interleaving with Fibre can be turned off manually by Sky or BT, If your line is good enough, DLM will make the necessary adjustments. You could always call Sky and ask, BT will not accept calls from Sky users, it will cost you nothing but time.
      andrewjr likes this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.