Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

BT Home Hub instead of Sagem

This is a discussion on BT Home Hub instead of Sagem within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi. When I was on normal Sky ADSL i used a BT Home Hub (hacked) to connect to the net. ...

srk1407 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

BT Home Hub instead of Sagem

Hi. When I was on normal Sky ADSL i used a BT Home Hub (hacked) to connect to the net. It was better wifi and faster speeds.

Today i got fibre and I want to use the Home hub again, mainly for wifi,as connected at max anyway.

Does anyone know how to set it up. I know you have to plug into red infinity port, but the light on box justs stays orange.

Someone help would be appreciated.

thanks

Scott

2. Advertisement
      tomthered is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irlam
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Re: BT Home Hub instead of Sagem

you will need to piggy back out of the Sky Router and turn off DCHP on the Homehub and just use it to receive the internet from the Sky router and transmit it wirelessly but any hardwired PC's will have to go into the Sky Router. You should not need any password on from the Sky router but you will need to set up encryption on the Homehub to protect yourself!

Damo82 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: HD+ Litmited Ed
      Thanks

hi, see you took my advice over on the sky help forums.

I have heard in passing that some people have managaed to get DD WRT and Open WRT working on they BT home hubs (won't work for adsl) but for the fibre should be fine. You could check that out as then you only need to use the BT home hub. Otherwise you can use the piggy back suggestion above

tomthered is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irlam
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Hmm Damo does that mean any better speeds by adjusting DDWRT?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

but any hardwired PC's will have to go into the Sky Router.
      That is not correct. The ethernet ports in the piggy-backed router can be used. The BT HH is a pig to change the settings in, but try to follow the instructions here - http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...-together.html

I don't think it will take DD-WRT firmware, few modem/router combos do.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Damo82 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: HD+ Litmited Ed
      Thanks

hence why I said would not work for adsl, but as this is for fibre form what I seen posted that it been done. Not by many though, is would not be a standard build best thing to do is post of the dd wrt forums

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Damo82 View Post
      hi, see you took my advice over on the sky help forums.

I have heard in passing that some people have managaed to get DD WRT and Open WRT working on they BT home hubs (won't work for adsl) but for the fibre should be fine. You could check that out as then you only need to use the BT home hub. Otherwise you can use the piggy back suggestion above
      Hi again.

Sorry what is DD WRT and Open WRT?

All I am after is to plus my fibre Internet into the Homehub? How can I get this to work this way? I don't really want another router in the chain. I already do this anyway to boost the signal at the other end of the room. Incidentally, the other router is a N router too, but when I connect to this, it only allows a throughput of about 7mbps when I run a speedtest. Directly it is 38mbps.

Also another question. I use Homeplugs for networking. When I use these and plug in my sky box, when I start to watch an on demand film on Sky Anytime+ it seems to be downloading at a slow speed. For example the speed to start watching a film seems to take just as long as when I had standard broadband. Is this right? They at 76mbps connections.

I understand IT, but this has thrown me!!!

Thank you again.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      That is not correct. The ethernet ports in the piggy-backed router can be used. The BT HH is a pig to change the settings in, but try to follow the instructions here - http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...-together.html

I don't think it will take DD-WRT firmware, few modem/router combos do.
      Thanks? Tried this but im using a Belkin N router, but when using Homeplugs it only gives a throughput of 7mbps instead of 37mbps. Not sure what's going on!

wakey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: HASLINGTON
      Router: TP-Link TP-1043ND
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by srk1407 View Post
      Hi again.

Sorry what is DD WRT and Open WRT?

All I am after is to plus my fibre Internet into the Homehub? How can I get this to work this way? I don't really want another router in the chain. I already do this anyway to boost the signal at the other end of the room. Incidentally, the other router is a N router too, but when I connect to this, it only allows a throughput of about 7mbps when I run a speedtest. Directly it is 38mbps.

Also another question. I use Homeplugs for networking. When I use these and plug in my sky box, when I start to watch an on demand film on Sky Anytime+ it seems to be downloading at a slow speed. For example the speed to start watching a film seems to take just as long as when I had standard broadband. Is this right? They at 76mbps connections.

I understand IT, but this has thrown me!!!

Thank you again.
      76mbps Homeplugs are unlikely to be quick enough. This is the theoretical maximum they will connect at in ideal conditions and over a fairly small distance. In reality they will be connecting at a fraction of that, in my home I have 3 Homeplugs, one that the router is connected to in the hall, one in the living room which is about 10 metres from the router and then one upstairs in the back bedroom. All 3 are 200mbps Homeplugs but the connection speed is 100-110 for the living room to the hall plug and 60-70 for upstairs to the hall. Even then upstairs my speedtests top out at 25MB/s because once you add in overheads it reduces the real world throughput further. It's why at some point (once I work out the best way to do so) I will be running Ethernet from upstairs to the hall.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wakey View Post
      76mbps Homeplugs are unlikely to be quick enough. This is the theoretical maximum they will connect at in ideal conditions and over a fairly small distance. In reality they will be connecting at a fraction of that, in my home I have 3 Homeplugs, one that the router is connected to in the hall, one in the living room which is about 10 metres from the router and then one upstairs in the back bedroom. All 3 are 200mbps Homeplugs but the connection speed is 100-110 for the living room to the hall plug and 60-70 for upstairs to the hall. Even then upstairs my speedtests top out at 25MB/s because once you add in overheads it reduces the real world throughput further. It's why at some point (once I work out the best way to do so) I will be running Ethernet from upstairs to the hall.
      Thanks for that.

I have read somewhere about a cheaper wifi adapter (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vonets-VAP11.../dp/B0050AI804) Im not sure if it will work, but I do not want to pay 60 for an adapter from Sky. I give them enough money! Its hard as pay to upgrade to fibre and dont get that faster speeds on anytime!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast