Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Different speeds from two machines

This is a discussion on Different speeds from two machines within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; You could try using TCPOptimiser, the latest version is compatible with Win 7, get it here - http://www.speedguide.net/files/TCPOptimizer.exe...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Different speeds from two machines

You could try using TCPOptimiser, the latest version is compatible with Win 7, get it here - http://www.speedguide.net/files/TCPOptimizer.exe

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      nicke1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: St Albans
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      If both machines are maxing out on a real life download test, then it sounds more likely that it is a computer performance issue.

As another option, have you checked the speed tester available on this website? It doesn't get hammered as much as the speedtest site.
      I've also compared with the Skyuser speed tester and the same difference between the machines (also checked using the iPlayer speed test).

The simiilar speeds would seem to suggest a computer performance issue but it's strange as the desktop is more powerful, it's a 2k gaming desktop and the laptop is a 500 fairly basic model.

I wonder if there are internet explorer registry or TCPIP/Network settings that may affect the performance reported through the speedtests? I thought Windows7 largely handled all the IP stuff pretty well though.

Probably I should ignore the difference given the large file download speeds represent the sync but the OCD part of me won't let it go!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You could try using TCPOptimiser, the latest version is compatible with Win 7, get it here - http://www.speedguide.net/files/TCPOptimizer.exe
      Excellent, will give this a go thanks. I didn't appreciate in Win7 there was scope to 'optimise' as I thought the OS handled it but it's got to be worth a try.

Nick

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

It might be worth booting up the desktop in "Safe mode with Networking" and running the SkyUser speed test to see if there is any difference too.

If there is a large improvement then it would show that there is some software slowing it down.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

wakey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: HASLINGTON
      Router: TP-Link TP-1043ND
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Can I clarify something. You specifically day that you have tried the PCwith both a Wireless N and a Homeplug connection but do you mean you have only tried the PC using these while the Laptops always been using its built in Wifi?

If so I would say your issue is as simple as the connection. For starters no all Wifi chips and setups are equal so just because the spec appears to be the same or even the PC one actually being better it doesn't mean it will actually connect at the same speed. You also need to ignore the windows connection status, the ratings of the signal strength are poor and you can have 2 machines reporting excellent connections but one being connected at a speed that's much lower than the other. Right click on the wifi network and choose status and check what the cards actually connecting at. Also check that the speed being reported is fairly stable

Also remember that even if it reports you are connected at a number that's the top line that you are connected at, the actual throughput can be much lower due to overheads. If your connection speed isn't above 70 at all times you may actually struggle to max the Internet connection out on the 40/10 package for this very reason.

The Homeplugs can also have this problem. The 500 they are rated at is the top level, you should be able to get the actual connection speed by checking in the software supplied and then even that is the top line with actual throughput being much lower. My Homeplugs connect from downstairs to upstairs at between 60-80 but going through them my speedtests top out at 25MB/s but via A long Ethernet connection they top out at 38MB/s on the very same computer

simon194 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDHAS
      Router: Sky Q Hub with Billion 8800NL in bridge mode
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wakey View Post
      The Homeplugs can also have this problem. The 500 they are rated at is the top level, you should be able to get the actual connection speed by checking in the software supplied and then even that is the top line with actual throughput being much lower. My Homeplugs connect from downstairs to upstairs at between 60-80 but going through them my speedtests top out at 25MB/s but via A long Ethernet connection they top out at 38MB/s on the very same computer
      The throughput using homeplugs will be lower because they encryt/decrypt the data running between them on the fly and the drop can be as much as 30%. If you are going to use them with a fibre connection you shouldn't consider anything below the AV500 based units.

I use AV500 homeplugs which connect at around 275Mbps between upstairs and downstairs and I can get speedtests around the 30Mbps mark compared to 37 Mbps connected to the router. Downloading from my NAS they top out about 90Mbps compared to around 110Mbps connected to the same gigabit switch as the NAS.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies.

The desktop wireless N reports as being connected at 144Mbps. I've also had the same issue with a Homeplug 500 connected to the PC. This reports a connected speed of around 170Mbps. I know there's massive overhead though with the homeplugs as I previously had a Homeplug 200 that was reporting a connection speed of around 120Mbps but was definitely acting as the bottleneck.

I tried safemode with Networking and the same problem.

Interestingly now though when I run the Speedtest for the first time it will max at around 30Mbps but then if I run it straight afterwards in the same browser session (e.g. test again) then it's now getting to the same speed as the laptop. Which are both what I'd expect given the sync speed, strange.

Not sure if the above helps?

My line is supposed to be able to support around 57Mbps but I'm syncing at 47 and it has been as low as 43 so Sky have organised for an engineer to visit on Friday.

Given the speedtest issue (and the sync) is there anything in particular you'd recommend I ask the engineer to look at or do?

THanks
      Nick

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2
      Router: Ubiquiti Unifi
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

The BT engineer *should* know what to look out for. As some others have reported on another thread they have gained marginal speed increases from using a shorter, better quality RJ11 cable from their master socket to the modem.

I would also avoid web based speed testers now as results can vary dependent on browsers and high usage. JD auto speed tester is a good tester as it runs a ping test and speed test every 60 mins (which can be changed) using multi-threaded download tests which allows you to monitor you connection. Just make sure that you set it up properly by following his guide --> JDs Auto Speed Tester then click getingt started > getting started

I have mine set on:

Test every 60 mins (default)
      download: clipping 3 secs & duration 12 secs
      upload: clipping 3 secs & duration 12 secs
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > Ubiquiti UniFi | 58301/12298

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjr View Post
      The BT engineer *should* know what to look out for. As some others have reported on another thread they have gained marginal speed increases from using a shorter, better quality RJ11 cable from their master socket to the modem.

I would also avoid web based speed testers now as results can vary dependent on browsers and high usage. JD auto speed tester is a good tester as it runs a ping test and speed test every 60 mins (which can be changed) using multi-threaded download tests which allows you to monitor you connection. Just make sure that you set it up properly by following his guide --> JDs Auto Speed Tester then click getingt started > getting started

I have mine set on:

Test every 60 mins (default)
      download: clipping 3 secs & duration 12 secs
      upload: clipping 3 secs & duration 12 secs
      Excellent, many thanks for the link. I wasn't aware of the product and was looking for something more automated than the web based speed testers. Will set-up and leave running overnight.

Thanks

Ram the tests overnight and it shows I'm pretty much getting throughput consistently just under the sync speed. (I assume there's some minor bugs with the program as in a couple of instances the reported upload speed is higher than the sync)

So it's strange that the web based testers report throughput less than this and less than from the laptop. I guess I've got to conclude it's something with the desktop.

Date & Time DL Speed UL Speed Ping Packet Loss Jitter
      12/07/2012 21:40 45764 19291 20 0 1
      12/07/2012 22:25 45989 18859 22 0 3
      12/07/2012 23:22 45874 27201 21 0 2
      12/07/2012 23:52 45375 14309 21 0 3
      13/07/2012 00:22 45382 28616 20 0 2
      13/07/2012 00:52 44334 17292 21 0 2
      13/07/2012 01:22 45796 21743 22 0 5
      13/07/2012 01:52 44549 17968 21 0 2
      13/07/2012 02:22 42436 19944 20 0 2
      13/07/2012 02:52 46003 21647 22 0 3
      13/07/2012 03:22 45342 29637 21 0 2