Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky Fibre Question

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre Question within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I notice that my local exchange supports Sky Fibre but I'm a little confused by what it actually offers and ...

nheather is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Carfax, Horsham (SDHRSHM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Q Hub - No idea whether it is an ER110 or ER115
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sky Fibre Question

I notice that my local exchange supports Sky Fibre but I'm a little confused by what it actually offers and hope someone can explain.

There is still copper coming to my house, so surely that determines what bandwidth I can get. They may have made it faster upstream but surely it can only go so fast down the copper to my house.

I currently see about 5Mbps down and 800kbps up on Sky Unlimited. Would I see any difference if I went to Sky Fibre?

Cheers,

Nigel

2. Advertisement
      gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Re: Sky Fibre Question

There are two key Fibre internet products.

FTTP and FTTC. FTTP is Fibre-to-the-Premises, and this is where the entire run of cable between your house and the exchange (in effect) is fibre optic and not copper.

FTTC is Fibre-to-the-Cabinet and arguably the more widely available product in the UK at the moment, with FTTP only on trial on a few exchanges.

FTTC is where the run from the exchange to your local street cabinet has been upgraded to Fibre. BT plonk a brand new cabinet next to your existing street cabinet, thus the length of the copper line that causes attenuation/signal loss is in effect the distance from the cabinet to your house only.

If your cabinet hasn't had a new one next to it, then you probably won't be able to get FTTC yet - but eventually you will.

If you live next door to the cabinet, then you are more than likely to get the full 80Mbit down and 20Mbit up.

I live about 500 metres from mine, and I get 65Mb/20Mb.

The range from the cabinet to the house over the copper is much shorter - but then it doesn't have to be as long because this terminates at the cabinet.

Traditional broadband is ADSL -and designed to work on distances up to 6KM. FTTC technology is "VDSL" - Very High Bit Rate Digital Subscriber Line - and works over much much shorter distances on the copper part.

Thanks

Thanks for the explanation. The cabinet isn't too far away about 350m as the crow flies but likely to be more like 500m.

But pretty sure there is no new box by it so I guess it hasn't made it out to us yet.

Are Sky quite active in trying to sell it - for example can I expect a "great news you can now get fibre" letter or email?

Cheers,

Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by gorebrush View Post
      There are two key Fibre internet products.

FTTP and FTTC. FTTP is Fibre-to-the-Premises, and this is where the entire run of cable between your house and the exchange (in effect) is fibre optic and not copper.

FTTC is Fibre-to-the-Cabinet and arguably the more widely available product in the UK at the moment, with FTTP only on trial on a few exchanges.

FTTC is where the run from the exchange to your local street cabinet has been upgraded to Fibre. BT plonk a brand new cabinet next to your existing street cabinet, thus the length of the copper line that causes attenuation/signal loss is in effect the distance from the cabinet to your house only.

If your cabinet hasn't had a new one next to it, then you probably won't be able to get FTTC yet - but eventually you will.

If you live next door to the cabinet, then you are more than likely to get the full 80Mbit down and 20Mbit up.

I live about 500 metres from mine, and I get 65Mb/20Mb.

The range from the cabinet to the house over the copper is much shorter - but then it doesn't have to be as long because this terminates at the cabinet.

Traditional broadband is ADSL -and designed to work on distances up to 6KM. FTTC technology is "VDSL" - Very High Bit Rate Digital Subscriber Line - and works over much much shorter distances on the copper part.

rederick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nheather View Post
      Thanks for the explanation. The cabinet isn't too far away about 350m as the crow flies but likely to be more like 500m. But pretty sure there is no new box by it so I guess it hasn't made it out to us yet. Are Sky quite active in trying to sell it - for example can I expect a "great news you can now get fibre" letter or email?
      I have friends in the Roffey end of Horsham, and they're on Sky ADSL and get about 6.8 Mbps. All the BT cabinets around them have had new fibre cabinets for about 18 months. Horsham should be a "no brainer" for BT to fibre as there is no cable competition; and most people are a long way from the Carfax exchange.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nheather View Post
      Thanks for the explanation. The cabinet isn't too far away about 350m as the crow flies but likely to be more like 500m.

But pretty sure there is no new box by it so I guess it hasn't made it out to us yet.

Are Sky quite active in trying to sell it - for example can I expect a "great news you can now get fibre" letter or email?

Cheers,

Nigel
      According to Samknows, fibre is available in some areas covered by your exchange,
      SamKnows - Broadband Availability - Horsham Carfax (SDHRSHM) Exchange

Call Sky and ask them if it is available to you. If they say no, go on the the BT Infinity site and see if they can supply it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

So much for the great and mighty SVBN.

Decided to check availabiity online at sky.com

Put in my telephone number as requested and I get

Your current phone line is not compatible with Sky Broadband and Talk. To take Sky Broadband and Talk, please use our address checker to see if you can also order a compatible Sky Talk phone line.
      So I put my address details in as requested

You don't currently have an active compatible landline at your address so you need to take Sky Talk with Sky Line Rental to proceed with your order.
      So there you have it. Sky comes out and states that SVBN lines are not compatible with Sky Talk and Broadband!!!

I shall be asking them for a refund tomorrow as they have declared I am unable to recieve an data or voice products with my current setup.

Cheers,

Nigel

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

This is a common error with any line that is on an LLU product. I would suggest that you phone Sky and see what they say.

The error should have been fixed and is in many cases, but obviously in your can it has not been.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

This is a common error with any line that is on an LLU product. I would suggest that you phone Sky and see what they say.
      Yes I appreciate that, just thought it was rather amusing Sky telling one of their long serving Broadband and Talk customers that they are unable to reecive the services.

As for SVBN, I was unknowingly transferred onto it. I received an introductory letter telling how great it was going to be, better performance, better reliability and better service - haven't seen evidence of any of those - performance the same, reliability and service worse.

Sky don't seem to know how to deal with SVBN themselves illustrated by their own applications failing to recognise its existance. I was unable to upgrade from Mid to Unlimited through my account. Worse, when I telephoned Sky they couldn't do it either and it took them nearly 2 months as it had to be done as a manual adjustment by the SVBN team. And on a number of support calls I've eventually been met with "oh you're on SVBN, we can't do anything, it needs to be done by a another department, transferred to a call that never gets answered".

Seems really strange to me that SVBN is a service that Sky pushed and desired as many as possible to move across but are not geared up to support it.

Cheers,

Nigel

Thanks

Just rung Sky and apparently I can get Fibre and Fibre Pro at my house.

I took the opportunity to ask two questions

Q1 There is no new cabinet by the side the existing one
      A1 Saying that Fibre goes in a new cabinet by the side of the existing cabinet is false information. It happens in some cases but in the majority the fibre can be accomodated inside the existing cabinet.

Q2 About requests being cancelled because the excahnge has run out of ports
      A2 Doesn't happen. At least he and his team have never heard of it.

Cheers,

Nigel

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Q1 There is no new cabinet by the side the existing one
      A1 Saying that Fibre goes in a new cabinet by the side of the existing cabinet is false information. It happens in some cases but in the majority the fibre can be accomodated inside the existing cabinet.

Q2 About requests being cancelled because the excahnge has run out of ports
      A2 Doesn't happen. At least he and his team have never heard of it.
      Judging by these answers you were not talking to the Fibre team. All FTTC needs a new cabinet, to say it can be housed in an existing cabinet is ridiculous. It is possible the new cabinet is no where near your old one, in some case one Fibre cabinet can serve more than one old cabinet. In these cases the new ones can be a long way from the old ones.

To say that cabinets do not get full is also misleading, this has already happened to some of our members.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast