Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Fibre , Wireless v ethernet,

This is a discussion on Fibre , Wireless v ethernet, within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi one and all, At the moment Im on the sky unlimited package getting over 9Mb/s speed on ethernet and ...

rammy104 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: willowcroft
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Fibre , Wireless v ethernet,

Hi one and all,
      At the moment Im on the sky unlimited package getting over 9Mb/s speed on ethernet and over 8 on wireless. My router is upstairs connected to a tel extension socket ( not master) , while my laptop is barely 10ft away seperated only by the ceiling etc , hence the good wifi signal. My main desktop upstairs is the latest spec pc where I do all my photo editing etc etc . and connected via ethernet to the router mentioned.

My querie concerns the installation of my fibre which is due in a weeks time.
      Do I ask the BTO to install the master socket/faceplate in my bedroom upstairs so my pcs connect in a similar fashion as now. Or, do I just let the BTO upgrade the existing master socket downstairs in the lounge and connect all my pcs wirelessly, ( Id have to buy a n wireless card for my desk top).

Ive been estimated by Sky to be able to acheive 37mb download spped. What speed could I assume will I receive wirelessly bearing in mind the close proximity to the new master socket, were it installed in my lounge.
      Hope this querie makes sense and I havent lost you after the first paragraph lol
      Regards, thanking you in advance of any replies !
      Bret

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Re: Fibre , Wireless v ethernet,

You can ask the BTO Engineer to move the Master Socket, but FTTC, like ADSL2+, benefits from shorter lines.

The BTO Engineer can install the BTO Modem wherever you like. The modem can then be linked to you router by any length of Ethernet cable. You could look at perhaps running a length of Cat 5e or shielded Cat 5e or Cat 6 Ethernet cable behind your wall to the room where the PC is. Alternatively look into a pair of HomePlugs.

Ethernet cable can run for a distance of up to 100m before the speed suffers, so long as there isn't any sharp bends. You could run the cable up into the loft and back down again if it is possible.

Otherwise, if you do go for a WiFi adaptor or card, look at one that supports 300mbps. The Sagem 2504N supports up to 144mbps on a single channel. 300mbps works on a paired channel (i.e.1+5) an will connect at the full speed of the Sky router if it can get a good signal.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

rammy104 (22-06-12)