Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up


    Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.


    Advertisement

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 10 of 20
    Like Tree1Likes

    Attainable rates on Pro

    This is a discussion on Attainable rates on Pro within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Strange one - Got Pro today, synced at 71176 all day long. Max attainable rate at the moment is actually ...

    1. #1
      gorebrush's Avatar
      gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Join Date
      Nov 2008
      Location
      UK
      Posts
      1,136
      Thanks
      22
      Thanked 27 Times in 27 Posts

      Attainable rates on Pro

      Strange one - Got Pro today, synced at 71176 all day long.

      Max attainable rate at the moment is actually lower 69324 (It was around 70000-72000 for the past few weeks)

      Wonder how that Max attainable rate is calculated? Will the BT Modem drop if there is too much noise etc..? Does SNR play a part?

      My SNR right now is 5.4 - I don't know if that is good or not (i.e. 7 is the target SNR on ADSL....)

      EDIT: Attenuation shows as 0 on both downstream and upstream. That can't play a part then....


    2. Advertisement
    3. #2
      Scubbie's Avatar
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      Location
      Near Portsmouth
      Posts
      28,249
      Thanks
      848
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

      Re: Attainable rates on Pro

      Perhaps someone from BTO has been really very cruel to you?

      I should check to see if they have installed another Fibre customer in your cabinet . Do remember that as the cabinet becomes more populated, the connection speed will drop a little.

      It is also possible that the time of day is also affecting your connection speed. By this I do not mean that you are being slowed by Sky, but perhaps there is more interference on the connection.

      PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

    4. #3
      gorebrush's Avatar
      gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Join Date
      Nov 2008
      Location
      UK
      Posts
      1,136
      Thanks
      22
      Thanked 27 Times in 27 Posts

      Re: Attainable rates on Pro

      No, my connection speed is exactly the same as it was this morning.

      Just find it odd that the modem is reporting a max attainable lower than what I'm actually synced at

    5. #4
      nijohc's Avatar
      nijohc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Join Date
      Apr 2012
      Location
      Halifax
      Posts
      94
      Thanks
      1
      Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

      Re: Attainable rates on Pro

      Quote Originally Posted by gorebrush View Post
      No, my connection speed is exactly the same as it was this morning.

      Just find it odd that the modem is reporting a max attainable lower than what I'm actually synced at
      All this means is that your line now has more noise on it than when you originally synced. Your snr has no doubt dropped a bit so if it resynced at 6 or 7db or whatever is the default for VDSL2 you would get a lower rate (max attainable).


      How are your ping times btw?

    6. #5
      fazedup's Avatar
      fazedup is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chippenham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Jul 2010
      Location
      Wiltshire
      Posts
      332
      Thanks
      20
      Thanked 24 Times in 23 Posts

      Re: Attainable rates on Pro

      The Max Attainable Rate displayed in the BTO Modem config is calculated on your unique line stats, SNR over the different US/DS channels, Attenuation, etc etc.

      As you say, interference does indeed play a part, more noise, lowers the overall SN Margin, which in turn lowers Max attainable rates.

      Mine has dropped from 102 to 97 after switching to the 80/20 product.

      Have a gander at my thread with the GNUPlot graphs, it shows some pretty detailed line stats. Might be worth having a crack at extracting yours.

      Cabinet population has absolutely no effect on Max rates. It is the quality of your individual line which determines this. Having 1000 VDSL connections in a cab will not change the characteristics of the twisted copper pair that runs from the cab to your premises.

      However, more connections per cab could cause congestion and slow you down in that sense.


      "...We're through the looking-glass here people, none of us have ever done anything like this before... except Mike, who as we all know, once stole a Tank and tried to invade Paris!"

    7. #6
      David76's Avatar
      David76 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Apr 2012
      Posts
      69
      Thanks
      1
      Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

      Re: Attainable rates on Pro

      so i assume that the reason the bto checker is so different than max attainable, is because its an estimation on signal loss from the cab to your house rather than crosstalk when the cab is full?

      btw reason you have more noise on your line, is cause a gang of hoodies are sat on your cab kicking and spilling beer on it
      fazedup likes this.

    8. #7
      Fryingpan77's Avatar
      Fryingpan77 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shipley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Mar 2012
      Location
      Bradford
      Posts
      668
      Thanks
      95
      Thanked 33 Times in 32 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by David76 View Post
      btw reason you have more noise on your line, is cause a gang of hoodies are sat on your cab kicking and spilling beer on it
      I KNEW IT!!!!!

      Sent from my ST18i
      With sky since 1997.

    9. #8
      fazedup's Avatar
      fazedup is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chippenham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Jul 2010
      Location
      Wiltshire
      Posts
      332
      Thanks
      20
      Thanked 24 Times in 23 Posts

      Re: Attainable rates on Pro

      Quote Originally Posted by David76 View Post
      so i assume that the reason the bto checker is so different than max attainable, is because its an estimation on signal loss from the cab to your house rather than crosstalk when the cab is full?
      Crosstalk in a VDSL cabinet, should be nominal. They're designed to deal with multiple connection without a detrimental impact to user's lines. As I said before, a full cabinet could cause local congestion and slow throughput rates down.

      The BTO checker calculates it's estimates on theoretical values (Loop length, distance to the cab), as more often than not, there is no active VDSL connection in place to physically test.


      "...We're through the looking-glass here people, none of us have ever done anything like this before... except Mike, who as we all know, once stole a Tank and tried to invade Paris!"

    10. #9
      Fryingpan77's Avatar
      Fryingpan77 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shipley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Mar 2012
      Location
      Bradford
      Posts
      668
      Thanks
      95
      Thanked 33 Times in 32 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by fazedup View Post
      Crosstalk in a VDSL cabinet, should be nominal. They're designed to deal with multiple connection without a detrimental impact to user's lines. As I said before, a full cabinet could cause local congestion and slow throughput rates down.

      The BTO checker calculates it's estimates on theoretical values (Loop length, distance to the cab), as more often than not, there is no active VDSL connection in place to physically test.
      Scubbie explained this problem in another thread. Its not the cross talk in the vdsl cabinet that's the problem. Its the cross talk in the PCP cabinets and the copper part of the connection. The higher frequency used for vdsl causes more problems on the copper side. So more people connected on vdsl = more cross talk.

      Sent from my ST18i
      With sky since 1997.

    11. #10
      fazedup's Avatar
      fazedup is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chippenham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Jul 2010
      Location
      Wiltshire
      Posts
      332
      Thanks
      20
      Thanked 24 Times in 23 Posts

      Re: Attainable rates on Pro

      Quote Originally Posted by Fryingpan77 View Post
      Scubbie explained this problem in another thread. Its not the cross talk in the vdsl cabinet that's the problem. Its the cross talk in the PCP cabinets and the copper part of the connection. The higher frequency used for vdsl causes more problems on the copper side. So more people connected on vdsl = more cross talk.

      Sent from my ST18i
      Would be interested in seeing the source of this info, any help? I've looked but can't locate it.

      You have fibre going into the VDSL cab, a copper connecting pair from the VDSL cab to the PCP cab, then your copper line to the premises. Copper in bother cabs, high frequencies in both cabs. I tend to think BTO would have thought about this before rolling out FTTC to the masses.


      I live in a town centre location, where VDSL take up was very quick. My VDSL cab is full and has been for 5 weeks, so we can assume there are alot of VDSL customers passing through the PCP cab. I've noticed no negative impact on my line.


      "...We're through the looking-glass here people, none of us have ever done anything like this before... except Mike, who as we all know, once stole a Tank and tried to invade Paris!"

     

     
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    SkyUser - Copyright © 2006-2020. SatDish and NewsreadeR | SkyUser is in no way affiliated with Sky Broadband / BSkyB
    RIPA NOTICE: NO CONSENT IS GIVEN FOR INTERCEPTION OF PAGE TRANSMISSION