Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

DLM on Fibre

This is a discussion on DLM on Fibre within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I understand that DLM on Sky BB Fibre is different to ADSL , in that it doesn't run just for ...

dankargo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Romford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

DLM on Fibre

I understand that DLM on Sky BB Fibre is different to ADSL, in that it doesn't run just for 10 days but is continuous from the day of the fibre install.

What could trigger the DLM to actually cause a difference on speed? If I was to turn off my Fibre modem and router every night before going to bed, could this cause DLM to decrease the fibre speed?

Also, if it was to ever happen and the download speed suffered from DLM, how would you go about getting it re-synced to what it was before? Is that something Sky or BTO would have to do?

2. Advertisement
      tomthered is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irlam
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks

Re: DLM on Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by dankargo View Post
      I understand that DLM on Sky BB Fibre is different to ADSL, in that it doesn't run just for 10 days but is continuous from the day of the fibre install.

What could trigger the DLM to actually cause a difference on speed? If I was to turn off my Fibre modem and router every night before going to bed, could this cause DLM to decrease the fibre speed?
      Yes because it thinks your service is dropping out so increases the SNR which lowers the speed. Its better to leave the modem on.
      Angel_Rex likes this.

Paul1360 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llantrisant
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

It does drop your speed down, For some reason unknown to me my dad decided it would be a good idea to have FTTC, which he had installed and then told me he was not happy with it as his speed has dropped from when he first had it install a few weeks ago. Up I went and sure enough he had FTTC but everything was turned off, so I turned it all on and checked his speed and he was getting 22Mb/2Mb, not the 35/2Mb at the start. Well me dad being old school turns everything off at night and some times he not use his PC for days and no matter what I can't get him to leave his gear on all the time. He's 84 by the way.
      iechyd da

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

It's the same really, it just doesn't have a fixed training period. DLM continues to run on ADSL connections after the training period is complete and will reduce your speed if it finds problems on the line, as some have found to their cost.

I would not have thought turning the modem off once a day would have any effect, it does not on ADSL, but no one is quite sure how DLM works on fibre.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

From reading the various posts on the forum from those who have been reading the BT Infinity forums, it is best to leave the BTO Modem on 24/7. Even power cycling it too many times can trigger DLM to slow a connection down.

If would suggest that in this case people should be advised that the Modem be fixed to a wall where is can cool nicely and is free from any obstructions that could block the ventilation. As for the Sky router, this should be placed on it's end in the stand that is supplied. Again keep it clear of all obstructions (curtains, etc.).

If someone is concerned, I'd always recommend a good quality surge protection extension bar. The bar could be wall mounted to reduce the opportunity for being damaged too.

Also I would suggest that since the Sky router cannot be wall mounted, consideration to placing it on a shelf should be made. Most routers, including Sky's actually benefit from being left on all the time. Switching them on too often actually damages the components inside.

As for electric consumption, both devices take up very little electric We are talking pennies per day or less.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

Thanks Scubbie.

So if speed was reduced due to DLM, would it likely stable itself back to full speed automatically? I only ask because we've had a few power cuts over the past week so I'm a little worried I'll lose sync speed if DLM assumes its a line fault.

I'm not too fussed about losing some speed temporarily due to power cuts as long as it'll eventually go back to what it was but if there's more of a chance of it sticking with the reduced speed every time the router gets switched off mistakenly or by unavoidable circumstances, I'll be on a tough time trying to avoid it happening!
      Last edited by dankargo; 09-06-12 at 10:00 PM.

Thanks

Best practise is to leave the Modem and router on 24/7. They each use very little electric.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Best practise is to leave the Modem and router on 24/7. They each use very little electric.
      Yeah, that's what I try my best to do. Just my luck unfortunately that the power has gone down several times today, I can only think due to the weather.

Thanks

Just be grateful. Those lovely people in Wales got all your rain for the last 12 months in one day yesterday.

...or so it seemed.

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Fab Fibre (Sky network)
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

After almost 1000 hours continuous uptime since installation of SFU, we had a short power cut here about 6pm on Wednesday during a thunderstorm (lines are underground in my area of town). I just left everything to reboot itself when the power came back on. Modem and router reconnected automatically and all looked normal. Out of curiosity, a bit later on, I did a quick check using my preferred "speedtest" website (which reported u/l and d/l speeds in line with what they were pre-power cut) and a file download from tbb which showed throughput at the expected rate.
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast