Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Fibre Broadband with DrayTek Vigor 2750 - Possible?

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre Broadband with DrayTek Vigor 2750 - Possible? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Everyone, My exchange will be fibre enabled at the end of the month and I've been doing some research ...

lancer778544 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llandaff
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Sky Fibre Broadband with DrayTek Vigor 2750 - Possible?

Hi Everyone,

My exchange will be fibre enabled at the end of the month and I've been doing some research and i've come across the DrayTek Vigor 2750 series router which has its own VDSL modem built in. The DrayTek page states, "Direct connection to BT Infinity™ FTTC Service" and some googling confirms that people on BT Infinity have had great success with it.

I'd rather go with Sky for fibre broadband due to Sky's unlimited policy but would it work due to Sky's MER? I've had a look at the FAQ and some people have managed to hack their old router to work with the new system but no mention of the DrayTek. DrayTek have put up a guide for BT Infinity installation and in the last screenshot it shows the option of "Clone MAC Address". Is this what I need to get around Sky's MER?

I'd much rather use the DrayTek rather than Sky's Sagem router & Openreach modem due to its full fat wireless N speeds, superior tweak-ability and the fact it's a one box deal but I'd hate to drop £170 on one to find out it's not compatible.

Thanks!

2. Advertisement
      tomthered is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irlam
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Fibre Broadband with DrayTek Vigor 2750 - Possible?

When I put Netgear routers in tandem I always choose clone mac address. As it would be the only one then I would think that would suffice. As I understand it your modem has all the passwords and username in, the router just pass the signal via ethernet or wireless.

launton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LVROY (Liverpool Royal)
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Asus RT-N66U
      Sky TV: Humax HDR-1000S
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lancer778544 View Post
      Hi Everyone,

My exchange will be fibre enabled at the end of the month and I've been doing some research and i've come across the DrayTek Vigor 2750 series router which has its own VDSL modem built in. The DrayTek page states, "Direct connection to BT Infinity™ FTTC Service" and some googling confirms that people on BT Infinity have had great success with it.

I'd rather go with Sky for fibre broadband due to Sky's unlimited policy but would it work due to Sky's MER? I've had a look at the FAQ and some people have managed to hack their old router to work with the new system but no mention of the DrayTek. DrayTek have put up a guide for BT Infinity installation and in the last screenshot it shows the option of "Clone MAC Address". Is this what I need to get around Sky's MER?

I'd much rather use the DrayTek rather than Sky's Sagem router & Openreach modem due to its full fat wireless N speeds, superior tweak-ability and the fact it's a one box deal but I'd hate to drop £170 on one to find out it's not compatible.

Thanks!
      Add your request to this wish list, and have a read of the included links for more info

DrayTek UK Forum • Login

web_wizard is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Undercliffe (MYUND)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Thanks

The only router I have gotten to work with Skys fibre is the Billion 7800n router. I have found it to be an excellent piece of kit and works with SKYs MER authentication as they wrote custom firmware to get round it. Never tried a Draytek. Did want to however, as you have mentioned, the price is steep to test something that may not actually work. I had cloned MACs and alsorts on other routers and they all lost the connection eventually, with the exception of the billion which has been rock solid

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by launton View Post
      Add your request to this wish list, and have a read of the included links for more info

DrayTek UK Forum • Login
      Thanks Launton, i've made a post there

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tomthered View Post
      When I put Netgear routers in tandem I always choose clone mac address. As it would be the only one then I would think that would suffice. As I understand it your modem has all the passwords and username in, the router just pass the signal via ethernet or wireless.
      That's not how it works with Sky, the modem connects you to the BT network, the Sky Fibre router then connects you to the Sky network. Without the information contained in the Sky router you will not be able to connect. Those on BT Infinity are different, they are simply connecting to the BT network so the BT broadband username is all that is required for a fully working connection.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by web_wizard View Post
      The only router I have gotten to work with Skys fibre is the Billion 7800n router. I have found it to be an excellent piece of kit and works with SKYs MER authentication as they wrote custom firmware to get round it. Never tried a Draytek. Did want to however, as you have mentioned, the price is steep to test something that may not actually work. I had cloned MACs and alsorts on other routers and they all lost the connection eventually, with the exception of the billion which has been rock solid
      The Billion 7800n seems like a very good alternative. It offers everything the Draytek offers apart from the one box solution but I suppose I can live with that. Thanks for the heads up

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      That's not how it works with Sky, the modem connects you to the BT network, the Sky Fibre router then connects you to the Sky network. Without the information contained in the Sky router you will not be able to connect. Those on BT Infinity are different, they are simply connecting to the BT network so the BT broadband username is all that is required for a fully working connection.
      From a post some time back on the Netgear forums, BT users connect in a similar way to how Sky users connect, i.e. Modem dials to the local exchange and their router confirms the authentication to their servers.

When I first saw their post on the DGND3700 section I thought that since after some work to resolve the settings it could be simple for Sky's customers to connect using other routers as well. Obviously Sky and BT each use a different authentication protocol, who else would use a non-standard MER system?

The main difference though is that Sky customers are connected to Sky's kit and their connection is automatically routed to Sky's servers.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

web_wizard is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Undercliffe (MYUND)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lancer778544 View Post
      The Billion 7800n seems like a very good alternative. It offers everything the Draytek offers apart from the one box solution but I suppose I can live with that. Thanks for the heads up
      I thought along the sames lines as you with the one box solution but to be honest, it doesn't bother me at all and the 7800n is a FAR superior router to the SKy router. In a different league. It is actually the best router I have owned.

Damo82 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: HD+ Litmited Ed
      Thanks

any DD WRT powered router will work, you might be able to use your curent router and just replace its software with DD WRT and resolve the problem