Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

EO Line Customers

This is a discussion on EO Line Customers within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; What is going to happen to the sky customers who are on eo ' exchange only ' lines that connect ...

KJ31 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLWW
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

EO Line Customers

What is going to happen to the sky customers who are on eo 'exchange only' lines that connect directly to the telephone exchange and do not connect to an intermediate cabinet. so therefore can not receive fibre FTTC, Do you think sky will offer a way round this so those customers can get fibre ?

Whats your thoughts and how do you feel if you have an exchange only line and can't get fibre ?
      Connection Speed: Downstream 19758 kbps Upstream 1153 kbps

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: EO Line Customers

Those who live so close to their respective telephone exchanges so that they do not have a Green street cabinet will only have one option made available. The must get FTTP if they want a Fibre connection.

However, as a compromise, BTO has announced that they will offer an 80/20 product on FTTP for those who do not wish to pay the high costs of the 300+mb service.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

That is true but on speaking to BT Openreach those with an exchange only line are not forced to be even getting FTTP and that the way it will happen with some is the isp to whom you are with will have to pay for an addon for the exchange with the line to be able to receive fibre

Thanks

In light of what you are suggesting, it might be prudent to find someone who has inside knowledge of a modern BTO Telephone Exchange to comment on this.

There are a handful of articles about FTTC and how it connects between the exchange and the home when cabinets are involved. These articles would not have covered the specifics on how a home near to the exchange would be connected. Of course if there is such an article, it would be nice if someone could post a link to or snippet of it.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      In light of what you are suggesting, it might be prudent to find someone who has inside knowledge of a modern BTO Telephone Exchange to comment on this.

There are a handful of articles about FTTC and how it connects between the exchange and the home when cabinets are involved. These articles would not have covered the specifics on how a home near to the exchange would be connected. Of course if there is such an article, it would be nice if someone could post a link to or snippet of it.
      Hi Scubbie it wasn't an article that I got the information from as mentioned above ON SPEAKING TO BT OPENREACH (e.g. A Friend of mine works for BT Opentreach and thats how I got the information). Also like I said are not forced to get FTTP but things can change like they do all the time

All I hope is that in time to come that everybody will be able to receive Fibre.

Thanks

I did notice that your comments were based on your discussion with Openreach, but it would be useful to have some more detailed information regarding this as it will affect people.

For those of us who do not work in the telephone exchanges, very little is truly understood about the connections. It was thought that it would be a simple measure to hook up the Sky LLU kit to FTTC and FTTP connections, but this proved not to be the case as much of the kit needed to be updated.

As for FTTP, the more that I have learnt about FTTC and FTTP the more I personally see FTTC as a stop-gap measure and I believe that FTTP will be the future of UK Telecoms. At the moment the UK is transitioning from an exclusively copper based system to a mixture of fibre and copper but in time the copper will become redundant to all but a minority of customers.

Thanks

Here is a link for some good information and a video Superfast Cornwall: Superfast fibre optic broadband

Here is a couple of pieces from the site for couple of the questions :I am in an enabled area but I cannot get superfast broadband. Why not?

You may be served by what is known as an 'exchange only' line that is connected directly to the telephone exchange without an intervening green roadside cabinet. Regulations do not currently allow the technology used to deliver superfast broadband from the cabinets to be used in the exchanges. However, the first trial of new technology to support 'Exchange Only' lines is taking place in Cornwall so we are in the process of developing a solution.

What about the estimated number of up to 20% of homes and businesses that will not be able to get fibre optic superfast broadband?

We are aiming to get faster broadband to anyone who wants it by 2014, making use of other technologies such as wireless, satellite and advanced copper.

Thanks

looking at the video on the connection process, although it is out of date on speeds, it looks like BTO are working out the kinks in Cornwall first. They refer to the use of satellite and Wireless (perhaps 4G which has been trialled in some parts of Cornwall) for those properties further from the exchange, but still directly connect to it.

I think that until we start getting confirmed new reports, much of this will remain unknown for now. You could argue that the secrecy is annoying, but at the same time you could argue that things are being developed and improved upon.

Thanks

@ Scubbie I agree, IMO I think it would be better if the public could access information so they know whats going on and also that they have not been forgot about.

Thanks

Absolutely.

TBH I thought that this had already been addressed and that the kt was being rolled out across the UK. Clearly it is still under trial and it still isn't a simple case of someone in Swindon, for example, being able to order Fibre when they live next door to the telephone exchange.

With BTO launching FTTP on a commercial basis soon, this will obviously be a topic which will interest quite a few members and should you or anyone else spot any updates, please feel happy to post the information on the forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast