Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

EO Line Customers

This is a discussion on EO Line Customers within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Just a little bit more news I thought I would post. July 2nd announced as launch date for Openreach FTTP ...

KJ31 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLWW
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Re: EO Line Customers

Just a little bit more news I thought I would post.

July 2nd announced as launch date for Openreach FTTP
      Wednesday 30 May 2012 10:49:55 by Andrew Ferguson

Now that a full commercial launch date has been announced for the Fibre to the Premises (FTTP) product from Openreach we will hopefully see more retail providers offering the service. The launch date on 2nd July, follows on from trials of new speed variants.
      Our fibre forum regularly features people who know their area is earmarked for the FTTP service, but the roll-out has not been completed. With luck Openreach will use the full commercial launch to put more resources into rolling out the service to the 10-15% of premises in the UK that FTTP is earmarked for.
      While a lot of the coverage is focused on the fastest options that give 330 Mbps downstream, and 30 Mbps upstream, the availability of the slower 80 Mbps should help to ensure people can afford to buy the service.
      Connection Speed: Downstream 19758 kbps Upstream 1153 kbps

2. Advertisement
      KJ31 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLWW
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Code:
      Openreach consumer fibre services pass ten million homes 
                   Thursday 10 May 2012 09:55:15 by                     Andrew Ferguson

Openreach is rightly proud of its achievement rolling out its fibre based services to cover an area comprising some ten million premises across the UK. This is some months ahead of the original deadline for this figure that was the end of 2012.
       With the figures for fibre services sold by BT Retail, and TalkTalk adding a mere 5,000, Sky figures are probably in the 100's as they have just launched their service, we can estimate a total number of sales around the 570,000 mark, giving a take-up of 5.8%. There are around 60 providers selling the services, other names include AAISP, ADSL24, aquiss, claranet, Eclipse, fast.co.uk, IDNet, plusnet, Timico, Vispa, Vivaciti, Web Tapestry and Zen Internet.
       Ten million premises means a coverage figure of 37%, the majority of this will be fibre to the cabinet, with the FTTP full fibre service available in just 6 to 10 areas at present. Northern Ireland is ahead of the curve in terms of coverage, as fibre services are available 89% of homes and businesses due to the partnership between BT and the Department of Trade, Enterprise and Investment.
       The original 40 Mbps FTTC service, saw speed upgrades start in November 2011 to offer a maximum of 80 Mbps, as extra frequencies were allocated over the copper segment, then in April 2012 the speed cap was removed, and providers have been selling the new faster service. We should highlight the fact that for those whose VDSL2 modem connects at under 40 Mbps, regrading to an 80 Mbps service is unlikely to boost speeds, since the faster profile runs on all FTTC lines already. For those keen to get an idea of what their speed is, you can always play the guess my home to cabinet line length and drool over the potential speeds using the speed table in our Fibre Guide.
       The rush to meet the targets may explain why so many people know of work to install a fibre cabinet in their area, but it is not yet live. The pressure is on teams to keep working at full tilt, rather than pause and wait for things like duct blockages to be cleared, or permission for ducting to be installed to get power to the cabinet. The end result is a growing number of partially installed fibre cabinets, and people seeing fibre tubing installed in FTTP areas, but no fibre going live.
       The question many want to know now, is will their area be enabled by the time Openreach completes its two thirds roll-out, and as Openreach keep the roll-out information closely guarded it is any ones guess. The next phase after the commercial roll-out, will depend on what happens with the various BDUK projects, BT has Lancashire in the bag, in Rutland they are the preferred supplier and has bids under consideration in other parts of the UK. BT has undertook to invest more of its own money, something the LSE failed to take into account when scaring people with the 1.1bn shortfall announcement.

Update 1:30pm: We asked Openreach about the issue of Exchange Only lines back in April 2012, and received a response regarding those lines or groups of lines run directly from the exchange, which is usually 
      those closest to the exchange or new estates located further from the exchange. Openreach has said that where technically and economically feasible they will provide either a FTTC (via new cabinet) or FTTP service, this is done on a case-by-case basis as the roll-outs progress. We believe pressure to hit the 66% figure as soon as possible, means these areas will mainly be waiting until 2014, or for the various BDUK projects to start producing results.
      Connection Speed: Downstream 19758 kbps Upstream 1153 kbps

clactonradio is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Clacton
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Freeview
      Thanks

Wish I could get fibre but it says its unavailable to me where as my mate right on the other side of town can have both Sky or Talk Talk fibre.
      My line is Line Attenuation 8 db 1 db so I don't think I am connected to a CAB.
      Hopefully 4G will make this better as I would really like faster upload speed.

My speed

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

BTO are working on this. It may be that you will eventually be offered a FTTP connection, jumping straight from FTTC.

They are currently supplying FTTP to some customers but limiting the speeds to say 80/20 so as to fit in with the FTTC prices where FTTP is too costly for them. It will then be a simple case of when Sky will be able to offer something similar or better still: Sky Fibre based on FTTP

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12