Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NOT a very happy new Fibre customer!!

This is a discussion on NOT a very happy new Fibre customer!! within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Well today was the BIG day ! after 5 years with sky on 2.2 meg I was hoping for a ...

Skycarp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Selby
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

NOT a very happy new Fibre customer!!

Well today was the BIG day ! after 5 years with sky on 2.2 meg I was hoping for a new faster web experience as our exchange had just been done over to FTTC. !
      Open reach guy arrived here at 8.20 this morning ,went away to the cabinet which is about 600 meters from my house, came back said all that end was now "sorted" and was syncing at 40 /2 and I looked good for about 38/2.
      Put new faceplate, on installed the modem {Huawei Echolife HG612}.He then did a sync check on his JDSU unit to check it all BUT could not get a reading what so ever BUT said this sometimes happens so not to worry !
      I connected up the Sky router and checked the stats on that and it showed that it was connected and syncing at 39997 and 2000 { as it should i would have thought}
      He now wanted to get off as he said that his job was done. Whilst he was packing his things away I ran 3 speed tests which showed speeds of approx 16 down and 1.7 up.
      I "asked" him to do a recheck on everything as I was not a happy chappy with this speed. { both Infinity and Sky had "forecast" speeds of 38.7.}
      He went back to the new FTTC box to check that again and got 40/2 on his test unit BUT every time that he tested it in the property it would still not give a sync reading at all ,he even took apart the new faceplate and checked from the master socket still no reading, Next he took apart the connection outside the house and that was OK and took a reading from there BUT he could still not get a reading from there. Next he went to the phone junction box 20 mts across the road from my house and from here he could get a reading of 40/2,
      Sooooooooooooo he thinks must be a fault in the cable from the junction box {20 mts away} to the house, after numerous phone calls to and from "Open reach Teccys" { and MUCH "encouragement" from me! }he agreed to put a new 20mt cable in underground from this junction box to the house and that will sort it, he thinks ! So by now another open reach guy had turned up to "help" {and drink more tea and coffee} so he "pops" off to the local exchange to get the new cable. An hour later and the new cable all in place underground and fully connected up ,and guess what, STILL no signal on his JDSU at my house BUT still one 20 mts away acrioss the road.
      So after a total of over 6 hrs and two guys and numerous calls to their Teccys they quoted the famous you will need to talk to sky in 10 days after DLM if you still have a problem and left !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      So i now have speeds down that varies between 5.7 and 24.6 { but constant 1.7 up } with an average of about 12.0

Well thats that of my chest at least !
      Any comments or suggestions what to do next would be greatly appreciated !

2. Advertisement
      andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2
      Router: Ubiquiti Unifi
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks
      What speedtester have you been using?

Try the BBC iplayer one and the one on this site
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > Ubiquiti UniFi | 58301/12298

Thanks

Re: NOT a very happy new Fibre customer!!

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjr View Post
      What speedtester have you been using?

Try the BBC iplayer one and the one on this site
      All of them you have suggested.
      Just done them all again.....
      Sky user 31.1 / 1.6
      Speedtest. net 21.36 /1.7 35 ping
      My broadband speed 21.4 /1.7

I Player speed 24.6
      streaming Test 1 10.6
      test 2 17.5
      Test 3 20.9
      all these are about the best i have had to date
      With all the work done on the line and rebooting etc over the 6 hours could the DLM process be causing the low speeds ? and if so do you think that my speeds my "recover" to some thing like what i fell that they should be ?
      Dos it make any difference to the performance as to what Ethernet yellow port that the modem plugs into ?
      for info the reading given are via my desktop which is connected via Ethernet.
      My laptop " N rated wireless " doing the same tests is giving my very similar results to those above.
      Thanks for your input !!!!

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2
      Router: Ubiquiti Unifi
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks
      Make sure the Ethernet lead is plugged into port 1 of the sky router (the port closet to the power input.

Also if using windows, download and install JD's Auto Speedtester and follow the instructions here to set it up
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > Ubiquiti UniFi | 58301/12298

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjr View Post
      Make sure the Ethernet lead is plugged into port 1 of the sky router (the port closet to the power input.

Also if using windows, download and install JD's Auto Speedtester and follow the instructions here to set it up
      Just to clarify is that the ethernet from the OR modem or the one to my PC ?

Johnelf is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ewell
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: BT Home Hub 4
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Hi
      The Ethernet to the modem he means should be plugged into the port nearest the power socket

What speed is your router showing ?
      This is more important to the speed tests and show the true sync rate
      we can then work on your internal speeds once this is established

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Johnelf View Post
      Hi
      The Ethernet to the modem he means should be plugged into the port nearest the power socket

What speed is your router showing ?
      This is more important to the speed tests and show the true sync rate
      we can then work on your internal speeds once this is established
      It is set up that way now with the Ethernet cable plugged in to the port nearest the power socket going into the OR Modem and then from the 2nd port down the other ethernet cable going to the pc. I take it that it makes a difference to having it the other way round then ??
      The router sync speeds are
      39996 down
      2000 up
      Hope this helps
      Could it be that i am just one of "unlucky" ones that have posted regarding half speed connections that apparently Sky / open Reach are working on ?
      What "bugs" me is that after all the work that they did they still could not get their JDSU "tester" to give them a reading from INSIDE the property.
      AS i have said before only got 2.3 for the last 5 years BUT it was very consistent and was also the best speed by achieved by anybody else that lived close by to me in the village,which made me doubt from the start of all the re cabling work that they did that there was a line fault. The OR guys put this down to the fact that the much faster Fibre service will find line faults that ADSL will not.
      Thanks for your help and input !

Many Thanks !

Scottjames1uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01226
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

I have had the same experience. BT man said i was getting 40 to the house but i am getting speeds of around 30. the box is across the road. BT Came back out and couldnt find a fault. I amgetting a lot less speed on wireless too

Johnelf is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ewell
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: BT Home Hub 4
      Thanks

Hi
      Well you are syncing at full speed then 40/2 so that is excellent news and you have no complaint then with sky

The speed tests can vary on numerous factors.
      The speed test used, they all vary and if your equipment is wired or wireless etc

The cable used cat5 or5e and how old and fast is you pc?
      John

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Johnelf View Post
      Hi
      Well you are syncing at full speed then 40/2 so that is excellent news and you have no complaint then with sky

The speed tests can vary on numerous factors.
      The speed test used, they all vary and if your equipment is wired or wireless etc

The cable used cat5 or5e and how old and fast is you pc?
      John
      The cables used are both the ones supplied with the new sagem fibre router CAT 5E and my pc is only 18 months old with a Quad core Processor and 6 gig DDR3 .
      I fully realize that speed test results do vary and i do expect some drop off in speed being approx 700 mts from the fibre cabinet to which i am connected {according to the open reach guys test readings}.As i have said before the thing that i find hard to understand AND what the OR guy could not work out as well is why it drops so much over the last 30mts from outside my house at the BT junction box { with only my cabling in it } to the inside of the house, {this was the cable that he also replaced as he thought that there was a fault in it }.
      I can not imagine as well that 2 open reach guys would actually spend over 6 hrs here on what should be a 30 min job for one, if they did not actually also think that there was a problem of some sort as well.

Many thanks for your input !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast