Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Fibre speed halved..

This is a discussion on Fibre speed halved.. within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Oy.. So anyway, my connection died completely last Thursday night, Sky seemed to think the Openreach modem was dead and ...

Lino is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Fibre speed halved..

Oy.. So anyway, my connection died completely last Thursday night, Sky seemed to think the Openreach modem was dead and would simply need switching out for a new box (The Sky router was telling me there was no broadband connection, even after power cycles), two guys turned up yesterday, didn't seem to think it was the modem but something outside. Sky called me back (In all fairness they've been great at getting in touch with me), told me someone would arrive today, who did at 8am, and as I left the house seemed to think he'd fixed the problem "Pushed the wires back together" (Huh?!), after I'd arrived at work, got another call from BT saying they were due to arrive at the property (Again?), anyway, to cut what is already a very long story slightly shorter...

After much messing about, Sky called me back saying it was working, but could I check and they'd call me back tomorrow to confirm.. They also mentioned that the down speed was only 17999.. WTH?!

Before the line died last week my down speed was 39999 and my up 1999 (According to the Sky router).. now it's 17999 down, 798 up.. Is that something that's going to go back up or should I whine to Sky tomorrow?

Also, probably not the right place, but I've got a Buffalo router set up for a VPN, with the old Sky router it was working fine, since I've switched to fibre I can't connect to the net via the Buffalo router, are the settings going to need to be changed?

Thanks in advance!

2. Advertisement
      Moxey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: SkyQ Hub ER110
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2TB + Mini
      Thanks

Re: Fibre speed halved..

It could be that the line fault has caused DLM to kick in and restrict your connection, if thats the case then as long as BTO have fixed the fault properly and as long as the DSLAM is working good and doesnt get stuck then from what ive read before the DLM should recover quickly once it detects the line is ok. Ofcause it could be that BTO have just done a bodge job of the fix and thats why the sync has droped, you should def mention the lower sync to Sky but id imagine they will tell you to wait a few days to allow DLM to reconfigure your line after the fault cleared.
      Whether or not you will need to reboot the modem to get a new sync speed after letting DLM do its thing for a day or 2 or whether DLM improving the connection would automatically force a resync im not sure.

Trumper112 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sanderstead
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

My saga:

Line perfect for first few weeks. Sync at 39998/1999. Speedtesting at 35/37

Then suddenly bam. Line goes down for each of two afternoons. Sync at 32/0.8 speedtesting at 20/25

Many conversations with Sky (v helpful, but still frustrating), troubleshooting, powercycling all to no avail.

BT engineer messes around in cabinet. Never turns up at house, never follows up but at least was on a Saturday. Now 15/0.3

Spoke to Sky again, they spoke to BT who triggered the DLM and I am back to 32/0.6

Now 32 is nice and all that but up is half the adsl speed and the line was perfectly happy at 39998/1999 for 3 weeks.

I really don't understand. Speaking to Sky again tonight. All rather cross making. May even go to Virgin instead after 15 years with Sky. Will take their throttled 100meg line instead.

Sky, please sort this out.....

Fryingpan77 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shipley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Trumper112 View Post
      My saga:

Line perfect for first few weeks. Sync at 39998/1999. Speedtesting at 35/37

Then suddenly bam. Line goes down for each of two afternoons. Sync at 32/0.8 speedtesting at 20/25
      This doesn't make happy reading for some.
      Can I ask, was their any other signs before your line went wrong ? Did you notice a increase in ping times or any other problems.
      I'm trying to get info on the signs because, even though I haven't seen a speed decrease on my line, its not running as smooth as it was.
      Interleaving kicked in the other day and I'm worried it could be a start to problems soon. Also running the JDs auto speed tester tool over night, I noticed some packet loss and for about an hour upload tests failed.

Sent from my ST18i
      With sky since 1997.

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Fab Fibre (Sky network)
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Yes it makes me worry about the quality and level of support that will be provided in the event of an SFU problem like this, because from reading here and elsewhere on this subject (and other subjects concerned with SFU) it would appear that the business processes may not yet be as fully established and mature as those for the non-fibre broadband service.
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Trumper112 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sanderstead
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fryingpan77 View Post
      This doesn't make happy reading for some.

Can I ask, was their any other signs before your line went wrong ?

Sent from my ST18i
      No warning but ping much slower after. Solid 15 before. 33 now

BT turned up today to have another look but I don't know what they found. Still synch at 32/0.6, they do seem to be taking it seriously.

There is hope yet.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Trumper112 For This Useful Post:

Fryingpan77 (30-05-12)

Lino is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Still on stupidly low speed.. Will call them from work tomorrow, I "Work for a channel available on Sky" and my work line must trigger some sort of alarm at their end (Which is why I think they were SO eager to make sure everything was working..).

Fryingpan77 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shipley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
      Still on stupidly low speed.. Will call them from work tomorrow, I "Work for a channel available on Sky" and my work line must trigger some sort of alarm at their end (Which is why I think they were SO eager to make sure everything was working..).
      Hope it gets sorted soon for you. It will give some hope to others in the same boat.

Sent from my ST18i
      With sky since 1997.

faz3270 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: retford
      Sky TV: SkyHD x 3+3D TV
      Thanks

I to have had speed issues, when i was installed on 16th may, sync was 40000/2000, d/l speed 36/38 up 1.94 ping 16. Then on 29th downloading web pages seemed to take longer to load, so did speed test, down load 26 up 1.94 ping 15, rebooted router sync 27400/2000. so i called the fibre team who went through all the test line checks, and then told me that they had booked an engineer to visit me on 1st June. on 31st may i had no internet connection, so i rang the fibre team again , they checked the line and could see i had no connection, just told me to wait for the engineer to vist, so i switched off the modem+ router, tried for 3 hrs, switched it all back on and i am now syncing @ 40000/2000 but upload speeds very erratic ranging from 37/27 up .776, ping 25, but did notice that BTO was working in cabinet.
      So i have the engenieer vist today between 13.00-18.00, will get him just to check and make sure everything is working correctly. what i did notice was that my public ip had changed.

Fibre speed halved..-jdast_results_2012_05_29_15_29_14.jpgFibre speed halved..-jdast_results_2012_06_01_11_38_40.jpg

faz3270 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: retford
      Sky TV: SkyHD x 3+3D TV
      Thanks

Update engenieer visit now completed, checked everything, noticed that line had quite a few errors, so went to cab and checked there, came back 5 mins later,cab is fine, tested master socket which showed errors.
      rang his m8 for the lift to check line from pole to house, swaped somthing around, and no more errors, great bloke explained every thing, could not do enough. before he fixed line told me that max download would be 38/ 18up, now 42down/18 up what a result. also getting BT to keep line checking for 72 hrs to make sure everything is ok.
      andrewjr and Scubbie like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast