Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Potential change to SKY Fibre

This is a discussion on Potential change to SKY Fibre within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys wonder if you can help please? I have a BT line with ADSL broadband with Be (part of ...

tomthered is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irlam
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Potential change to SKY Fibre

Hi guys wonder if you can help please? I have a BT line with ADSL broadband with Be (part of O2). I also have a Primus Call Saver package on my telephone line which routes call through their network and not BT. I am looking to change to SKYFibre and it looks as though I will get 26mb down not sure what the upload speed will be I assume 2mb.

A SKY netchat assistant has said that I would need to cease my existing BroadBand ISP by giving 30 days notice and then would have to wait 14 days for the Sky Fibre connection. So that means 14 days without broadband.

Does anyone know if that's correct? Would it be different if I terminated that Primus Call Saver package and went back to BT, is that the issue? That would mean it would be a BT line thoroughly for calls and rental.

Would welcome any help at all.

cheers Tom

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Potential change to SKY Fibre

I think you have been given incorrect information. There are many who have moved from BE/O2 with no long downtime. You do realise that the Primus Call Saver package will not work with Sky, nor will any other call saving package or number. This would have to be terminated before Sky can take over the line. To get Sky broadband you must take Sky phone rental with a free or unlimited call package.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Yes I know that I was going on the Net chat assistant on the Sky.com site but they don't appear to know much. What sort of downtime is there? Would I be better speaking with the Fibre team? Is there any former BE members on here that can advise? Would the Primus Call Saver package be cancelled automatically?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Would the Primus Call Saver package be cancelled automatically?
      This may be making your line incompatible, so it may have to be cancelled before you can place an order. Use the broadband checker on this page and see what it brings up - Sky Fibre Unlimited - Unlimited fibre optic broadband from Sky

You will get an invitation to 'chat' when you are on the Fibre page, you might want to try that.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

it comes up that i can get Sky Fibre Unlimited and puts it in my shopping basket at 50 activation and 2.18 postage and 12.25 Talk Freetime. So I think that's OK. Strange it adds it up as a monthly cost of 65, unless it is adding my existing TV, which is 32.50. Would that mean its a straightforward changeover? I rang the Sky Fibre team to check if I could get Skyfibre Pro but they said no.

This seems strange because one of the links of this site tells you what speed you can get. It also tells you what cabinet you are connected to. I checked and it said I could get 17.5 times the speed I get now, which is 5.5 mb and BT says I should get 4.5 to 5.5 so thats 101mb possible download.

Is there a reason why I can get Skyfibre but not Fibre Pro?

Moxey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: SkyQ Hub ER110
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2TB + Mini
      Thanks

The pro option is very new and seems to have a very limited availability so far which is why its not an option via the online ordering, it should become more widely available over time.

simon194 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDHAS
      Router: Sky Q Hub with Billion 8800NL in bridge mode
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moxey View Post
      The pro option is very new and seems to have a very limited availability so far which is why its not an option via the online ordering, it should become more widely available over time.
      The Pro option is apparently only available to new Sky fibre customer ordering by phone at the moment. According to one the techies on the Sky Help Forum should be available to existing customers around mid-June. I hope it's true because it's all open for orders now in my area.

Thanks

It seems strange that the test I ran said I could get potentially 17.5 times my present speed of 4.5 to 5.5mb so in theory 101mb down! Would imagine its a limiting factor placed on the exchange by BT, and hence also Sky. I thought this was VDSL2 so would the Pro version not run on the same network and if I can get Infinity and Sky Fibre should we not also be able to get Infinity 2 and Sky Pro as they both serve from the same fibre?

I heard BT are trialling 330ms download speeds so we got that to come!

As an aside does anyone know what unlocking your router does for you? I am aware that on the Netgear DG834 routers and others you can telnet in and instruct the DSLAM to reboot and serve at a lower SNR, thereby giving an increase in speed. Does this do the same? Have installed DD wrt on a buffalo router but only to get a bridging mode to provide net access in a remote bedroom. Didn't notice any similar telnet function like the DGTeam firmwares. Anyone know please?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,246 Times in 2,108 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tomthered View Post
      I heard BT are trialling 330ms download speeds so we got that to come!
      BTO are performing a whole range of test with different speeds and configurations at the moment.

As far as FTTC is concerned, I understand that they are looking at 200mb download speeds.

FTTP currently supports 300mb dl speeds, with faster to come later. FTTP can cope with 1Gbit but the current backhaul systems and ISP server could not cope if everyone were switched to FTTP today. There needs to be huge investments in everything before FTTP can be properly offered to everyone.

The issue over torrents IMHO is just a smoke screen. Within a few years people will be streaming more 4K and 8K (UHDTV) video content. 8K broadcasts are scheduled to be launched in the UK by around 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by tomthered View Post
      As an aside does anyone know what unlocking your router does for you? I am aware that on the Netgear DG834 routers and others you can telnet in and instruct the DSLAM to reboot and serve at a lower SNR, thereby giving an increase in speed. Does this do the same? Have installed DD wrt on a buffalo router but only to get a bridging mode to provide net access in a remote bedroom. Didn't notice any similar telnet function like the DGTeam firmwares. Anyone know please?
      Sadly the standard firmware on all of Sky's routers blocks the ability to Telnet.

There are many discussions on this forum on doing various extras with different routers. Check out the Technical section where this topic is allowed to be discussed.

Remember though, with FTTC & FTTP it is the Modem, not the router, which you will need access to.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Remember though, with FTTC & FTTP it is the Modem, not the router, which you will need access to.
      Does that mean the modem can be accessed Just a yes or no is enough if its only allowed in another section. Just interested in what you can do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast