Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Sky Fibre Broadband and ADT monitored burglar alarm incompatible?

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre Broadband and ADT monitored burglar alarm incompatible? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I think the Fibre is a bit of a red herring, as Aviva say in their statement - In terms ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Sky Fibre Broadband and ADT monitored burglar alarm incompatible?

I think the Fibre is a bit of a red herring, as Aviva say in their statement -
      In terms of post migration effects, FTTC is unlikely to create any issues for alarm signalling (other than round trip delay compatibility issues for Digicoms); as existing copper cables from the cabinet to a customer's premises will remain.
      The main problem are that Sky are claiming that Alarmed systems are incompatible with their SVBN, not the fibre section. I think this particular problem only arose because the BTO engineer failed to reconnect the alarm and this was brought to Sky's notice. If he had connected it, nothing would have been said as they would have been unaware of the connection. This problem must effect hundreds if not thousands of other users, so Sky must find a solution.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      chingf0rd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bromley
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I think the Fibre is a bit of a red herring, as Aviva say in their statement -

The main problem are that Sky are claiming that Alarmed systems are incompatible with their SVBN, not the fibre section. I think this particular problem only arose because the BTO engineer failed to reconnect the alarm and this was brought to Sky's notice. If he had connected it, nothing would have been said as they would have been unaware of the connection. This problem must effect hundreds if not thousands of other users, so Sky must find a solution.
      I like your thinking

I posted the same thing on the official Sky forum and there's a chap over there insisting that it is incompatible but not really giving me a reason why. At least when I was talking to the Fibre Team on the phone, the techie there gave me pointers to the Aviva site which led me to contact ADT and the BSIA.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

To be fair I think that the employees from Sky who respond on the Sky forum have been told off in the past and must only answer prescribed responses which TBF don't really help. It is a bit like the manual for a TV suggesting that you check the the power lead is plugged in when it doesn't work. The fact that the whole area has a black out isn't addressed.

Take it up with the Executive Team. If they then insist that it is incompatible, insist that you would like a full statement to that effect in writing.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

chingf0rd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bromley
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

I kind of wish I didn't escalate it up to the executive team...

Thank you for your e-mail addressed to Jeremy Darroch regarding your Sky Fibre Optic order. I've tried to contact you regarding this matter but have been unsuccessful.

I can advise that Sky made the decision to stop your order due to your ADT alarm system. If Sky Fibre Optic was to ever go down then the alarm would be disabled putting your property at risk. For this reason your Broadband service is currently being rolled back to your original ADSL package.

Sky are working continuously to improve the service and our Technical Team are working very hard trying to get a resolution for this matter. We hope in the future that the Fibre Optic will be available to you.

If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me at the above address.

Kind regards

Julie Menzies
      Executive Support Team
      Customer Support, BSKYB - Customer Operations

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Is the root cause of this issue that the voice service needs to be on a BT WLR connection rather than SVBN, but that's not allowed if you have SFU?
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Surely if the telephone system goes down, then it would also be likely that either the whole exchange would be down or all of Sky's systems would be down?

Unless you have paid extra for a service level guarantee from another provider (e.g. like BT Business packages) then your connection is going to take a period of time to be repaired, just like everyone else. I am aware that Sky's service is a domestic product and service levels are not as high as you would expect of a business product. For this reason should you not have Broadband for say a few days, you cannot claim for loss of earnings.

In the mean time, consider the following process (it is a Friday ):
      1. Place poster with Red spot on wall, about head height
      2. Stand, facing said poster, 6" / 15cm from the wall
      3. Move head in a fast motion towards poster, stopping once contact has been made
      4. Remove head from poster
      5. Repeat steps 3 & 4 until consciousness becomes an issue
      6. Collapse in heap on floor

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: John Lewis broadband
      Router: Nighthawk r7000
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

how can a alarm system cause problems hum weird

Thanks

As they are going on separate circuits from the original cabinet I would think there is less chance of the phone going down with the fibre broadband. I would think there is more chance of the phone being taken down by ADSL, which uses the same wire back to the exchange. Or don't they realise that the phone and fibre use different circuits for most of the journey to the exchange?

I think this is more of a legal problem than anything else, Sky don't want to be held responsible if a line goes down and the alarm fails. If they are really worried about compatibility surely they can publish a list of alarms that are compatible. The wording in their Talk T & Cs makes it clear it is the customers duty to ensure their alarm is compatible, but how can they do that when Sky don't publish a list.

When it comes down to it if they are not confident their phone line will support an alarm, are they fit to run a phone provision company? Do other providers have this problem?
      chingf0rd likes this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Leaving aside the possibility of general failure of the phone network at various points (e.g. inside the home, between home and exchange, beyond exchange), isn't the incompatibility issue actually with SVBN?

Presumably that means the OP's phone connection from the exchange onwards (rather than the section between the home and the exchange) which is now over SVBN, but was presumably over BT's network at some point previously and was not incompatible?
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Thanks

isn't the incompatibility issue actually with SVBN?
      That is what I have suggested previously, but it does not explain why they are using a move to fibre as an excuse.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast