Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Sky Fibre Broadband and ADT monitored burglar alarm incompatible?

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre Broadband and ADT monitored burglar alarm incompatible? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; So annoyed. Sky have just called to say that they will have to roll me back to standard broadband because ...

chingf0rd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bromley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Fibre Broadband and ADT monitored burglar alarm incompatible - UPDATE!

So annoyed.

Sky have just called to say that they will have to roll me back to standard broadband because SKY WILL NOT FIT FIBRE TO ANY HOUSEHOLD WITH A MONITORED ALARM SYSTEM. Even though it appears to be working swimmingly, they will not allow it to be installed any longer as it may "degrade the system" and that they do not know if it will cause interference in the long run (with what? Alarm? Fibre?).

Why is this not specified on the web site??

So - if you have an ADT system or any monitored alarm system - you will not get Sky Fibre.

So so annoyed...

2. Advertisement
      speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      I thought I had read somewhere about incompatibility between Sky Talk/Sky Voice and Broadband Network & services such as monitored alarms, but I can't find it now.

Found this though:
      http://www.ehow.com/facts_7490386_sk...rm-system.html
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Thanks
      Blog Entries
      If you click through that link to Sky Talk FAQs, it goes to the Sky Talk T&Cs which states:

"Some remotely monitored security alarm, social alarm and Telecare services are mot compatible with the Sky Network. If you have one of these services it is your responsibility to ensure it is compatible. If you have one of these services that uses your phone line, you should contact us straightaway to ensure your service is not affected."

I wonder what is the incompatibility?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Sky Fibre Broadband and ADT monitored burglar alarm incompatible?

I think Sky are covering their rear. Your alarm system may appear to be OK, but if you have a break in and the alarm call is not forwarded, who are you going to blame and probably sue for the phone failure? I suppose for those in your position the only solution would be a dedicated line for the burglar alarm.

I wonder if BT Infinity have a similar restriction? If they don't, that may be your route to fibre. Sky's loss.

On second thoughts, the point is that it is the phone side which is not compatible, as this is on a different wire system, fibre has nothing to do with it. Rolling you back to Unlimited will not help, you will not be able to be on SVBN. If you were on that you will have to be moved back to a BT compatible line. I can't see why this should stop you getting fibre broadband.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I think Sky are covering their rear. Your alarm system may appear to be OK, but if you have a break in and the alarm call is not forwarded, who are you going to blame and probably sue for the phone failure? I suppose for those in your position the only solution would be a dedicated line for the burglar alarm.

I wonder if BT Infinity have a similar restriction? If they don't, that may be your route to fibre. Sky's loss.
      Yes, that is what I thought too - however, I did explicitly ask the sales person at the time and they said it would be ok.

With regard to Sky Talk - I hope that this isn't the case either as I have had Sky Talk for years and ADT for yonks too. Sky Talk Line Rental is another matter - I only got this back in April and when the rental switched from BT to Sky the alarm did need resetting...I hope I don't need to go back to BT Line Rental...

Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Until I upgraded from ADSL to FTTC, my Sky Talk service remained on BT WLR (not SVBN) even though the line rental and calls were paid to Sky.

This was because I opted out of moving to SVBN when it was first launched.

As part of the upgrade to FTTC, my Sky Talk service was switched over to SVBN in accordance with new T&Cs for both voice and broadband that I sugned up to and accepted as part of the upgrade.

Agree with TomD and your analysis if the situation - sounds like more "toot" again because they don't have the real answer/reason!

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Since the T&Cs state that you should check to see if you have an compatible system, I would ask for a list of approved and known compatible systems.

If they cannot provide such a list, then the terms and conditions are unfair and would IMHO fail should you challenge it in court.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Since the T&Cs state that you should check to see if you have an compatible system, I would ask for a list of approved and known compatible systems.

If they cannot provide such a list, then the terms and conditions are unfair and would IMHO fail should you challenge it in court.
      Thanks - I'm on the phone with them now - they say that they can't provide a list - they say that all alarms on a telephone line are not compatible!

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Perhaps you should contact ADT and ask them why Sky might state that their alarm is incompatible and ask for advice on how to make it so.

I know that a friend's mother would like to switch to Sky when her exchange is enabled with LLU kit. Her monitor is quite compatible with Sky's telephone system as it meats BABT approval, but with such a carpet ban, I believe that this is unreasonable.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Perhaps you should contact ADT and ask them why Sky might state that their alarm is incompatible and ask for advice on how to make it so.

I know that a friend's mother would like to switch to Sky when her exchange is enabled with LLU kit. Her monitor is quite compatible with Sky's telephone system as it meats BABT approval, but with such a carpet ban, I believe that this is unreasonable.
      Yeah - I did that - I'm going to double check and get ADT to do a test on the line tonight. The alarm guy also said that I could get a letter from ADT to state that the alarm is fit for purpose. The alternative would be to get a dual-com alarm system that has a SIM card and dials out using the mobile network - hate to think of the cost though.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast