Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

SKY FIBRE OPTIC.... & SMART TV set up & whats in the box ?

This is a discussion on SKY FIBRE OPTIC.... & SMART TV set up & whats in the box ? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi again, i have just registered for fibre optic because my current b/band speed is a miserly 1MB..now something has ...

worcesterman47 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: charles street 01905 724
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

SKY FIBRE OPTIC.... & SMART TV set up & whats in the box ?

hi again, i have just registered for fibre optic because my current b/band speed is a miserly 1MB..now something has just struck me..i have a smart 3d tv ( which is set up to access internet, youtube,facebook etc etc ) BUT because of the very slow wifi speed it is not practicable to use it ( cannot use ethernet either as my broadband is fixed at 1MB due to distance from exchange etc)..but my real question is...with fibre optic i can/should get a possible 29MB download speed ( i know thats not set in stone so, will this speed be transferred to my smart tv also wirelessely..enabling the viewing of programmes on demand from the online sky library ?.. i will only be using a laptop wirelessly and not using a desktop at all.i have been reading as much as i can about the fibre optic set up etc etc..and it mentions the sky wireless "N" router, but it also mentions a "sky wireless connector" does this come with the router or is it integrated withing the "N" router ? if not does it have to be purchased seperately? and do i need it ?...your advice and help would be greatly welcomed...many thanks in advance.......ALAN

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Re: SKY FIBRE OPTIC.... & SMART TV set up & whats in the box ?

Since you have two devices which will both benefit from connecting to the Internet, could I suggest that you forget WiFi?

Personally I would look at connecting them both to a Network Switch, or your old router (see link below for guidance) and then connect the Switch to your new Sky router via either an Ethernet Cable or a pair of HomePlugs.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...-together.html

The advantage of this idea is the potential for a better connections without the potential for interference from a nearby WiFi signal. Also if you were to use your old Sky router, then you have a new WiFi Access Point. Both solutions also provide for additional LAN port/s for additional wired devices.

A pair of HomePlugs will set you back around 35 (don't get less than 200mbps). A 5-Port Network Switch will cost around 7 at the present time, although I have see an 8-Port switch for a similar price recently.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

worcesterman47 (22-05-12)

Thanks

Hi again I really appreciate your reply but to me that all looks very technical but thank you anyway & if possible could you give me some advice on my original queries as to me that is an easier option for me & I will look into further options when I get a bit cleverer ! Thanks once again though.

Thanks

Ok, the Network Switch only requires you to connect 3 Ethernet cables and the PSU. One cable for the TV, one for the Sky+ HD STB and the other will go to one of the HomePlugs.

The HomePlugs are normally plug-in & switch on, with some requiring that press a button the first time that you plug them in so that they talk to each other only.

For the 2nd Home Plug, one Ethernet cable to connect it to the Sky Router.

The HomePlugs with have 2 Ethernet cables supplied with them. The Network Switch may have an Ethernet cable with it, but if not you can pick up a couple from many different locations.

Note: For this arrangement there should be no need to go into any screens to set up either set of kit.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Unma...7629326&sr=8-5

TP-Link TL-PA211KIT 200Mbps Mini Powerline Ethernet Adapter - Twin Pack: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

If you are short of Power sockets, consider this next option. HomePlugs and PowerLine adapters do not work well on Surge Protected Extensions:

Trendnet 200mbps Twin Powerline Homeplug AV Adapters: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

By all means feel free to search around for better prices. I have selected items that should be easy to set up and get working with the minimum of fuss. Many others will be just as easy to use.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Ipster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by worcesterman47 View Post
      hi again, i have just registered for fibre optic because my current b/band speed is a miserly 1MB..now something has just struck me..i have a smart 3d tv ( which is set up to access internet, youtube,facebook etc etc ) BUT because of the very slow wifi speed it is not practicable to use it ( cannot use ethernet either as my broadband is fixed at 1MB due to distance from exchange etc)..but my real question is...with fibre optic i can/should get a possible 29MB download speed ( i know thats not set in stone so, will this speed be transferred to my smart tv also wirelessely..enabling the viewing of programmes on demand from the online sky library ?.. i will only be using a laptop wirelessly and not using a desktop at all.i have been reading as much as i can about the fibre optic set up etc etc..and it mentions the sky wireless "N" router, but it also mentions a "sky wireless connector" does this come with the router or is it integrated withing the "N" router ? if not does it have to be purchased seperately? and do i need it ?...your advice and help would be greatly welcomed...many thanks in advance.......ALAN
      As Scubbie has suggested a network switch would be the best option.

In regards to the questions you ask, you get a wireless N router and thats its. You can purchase a wireless access point/ connector for your HD box from the sky shop. The other thing you need to look at is what is wifi card is in the TV is it able to accept wireless N? By using a network switch to connect to your TV and HD box this means you should get a better connection and speeds to your equipment and the network switches are cheaper than sky's wireless connector. You can see the sky wireless connector HERE

Anytime + works on my poor 4meg connection with no problem so 29meg should be no problem.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ipster For This Useful Post:

Thanks

hi again, i am very grateful once again for all the advice & i am currently looking through all the links & info etc....until i get it clear in my head may i add that i cannot physically attach an ethernet cable from the router into my tv as it is just to difficult because of distance and walls...also, at the moment on the odd occasion that i do access the interenet on my tv which is an..LG 47LW550T ...i use the following dongle ....http://www.lg.com/uk/tv-accessories/lg-AN-WF100...which was recommended for wireless internet access...it does work obviously at the moment but because i only get currently a 1MB connection it is very very slow...so,my next question is/would be.. would this dongle be able to latch onto the possible 29MB speed from the new "N" router even if it does not attain full speed could it/would it improve at least from 1MB ish ? many thanks once again........ALAN

Exchange:
      Thanks

hi again, i am very grateful once again for all the advice & i am currently looking through all the links & info etc....until i get it clear in my head may i add that i cannot physically attach an ethernet cable from the router into my tv as it is just to difficult because of distance and walls...also, at the moment on the odd occasion that i do access the interenet on my tv which is an..LG 47LW550T ...i use the following dongle ....http://www.lg.com/uk/tv-accessories/lg-AN-WF100...which was recommended for wireless internet access...it does work obviously at the moment but because i only get currently a 1MB connection it is very very slow...so,my next question is/would be.. would this dongle be able to latch onto the possible 29MB speed from the new "N" router even if it does not attain full speed could it/would it improve at least from 1MB ish ? many thanks once again........ALAN

You can get wireless network switches, it all depends on how much you would like to pay to resolve this.
      Looking at the LG website, the TV can take either an ethernet cable or the USB dongle look HERE at the key features wifi ready section.

The dongle is also N range so it would work with your new sky router, but this would only connect your TV not your sky HD box for anytime plus

As scubbie said in her post, the best option would be
      Get a wireless network swtich that will connect to sky router by wireless N range, then connect both the TV and Sky HD box by ethernet

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ipster For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I think you mean a wired Network Switch Ipster

@worcesterman47: HomePlugs use you mains electric wiring to transmit the LAN signal between each other. This means that you do not need a long Ethernet cable to run from your router to the TV.

I am assuming that you are running a HDMI cable from the Sky+ HD STB to the TV. A shorter Ethernet cable would be able to use the same ducting/route so providing that you do have a LAN port on the TV, my suggestion detailed in post #4 would work. Ethernet cables are sold in a variety of colours and lengths, so I would hope that you could find one to blend in with your home environment.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Thanks

thank you both for the masses of information...now i know how home plugs work & that i do NOT need an extended ethernet cable to tv..i will follow your post 4 suggestions...i have just checked the specifications of the tv and it does have a LAN connection...thanks again both for making things a lot clearer for me...many thanks again & bye for now ....ALAN

Exchange:
      Thanks

thank you both for the masses of information...now i know how home plugs work & that i do NOT need an extended ethernet cable to tv..i will follow your post 4 suggestions...i have just checked the specifications of the tv and it does have a LAN connection...thanks again both for making things a lot clearer for me...many thanks again & bye for now ....ALAN
      When all else fails.. use the instruction book lol