Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By David76

Sky Fibre Speed Test Confusion?

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre Speed Test Confusion? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Been reading this forum for a while but never posted. Background….apologies if this rambles a bit long. I have had ...

kerryoaks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aberdare
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Fibre Speed Test Confusion?

Been reading this forum for a while but never posted.

Background….apologies if this rambles a bit long.

I have had Sky Fibre installed on April 30th. My estimated speed from Sky was 33.4mb. When the Openreach engineer came to my premises to install he said I was getting the full 40mb download and 2mb upload speeds. I was surprised and happy about this. I logged into the Sky router and the speed statistics shown on the router backed this up with downstream connection at 39996 kbps and upstream 2000 kbps.

I tried some various speedtest sites, Speedtest.net, thinkbroadband etc and they were all reporting download speeds around the 20mb mark. I tried at various times of the day and early hours and different days of the week. The tests came back roughly between 20 to 25mb. I thought maybe this is due to the 10 days of Sky testing my line establishing the best connection speed etc. So I held off and tried the different speed test sites again to come back with the same results. (My Mac is connected to the router via ethernet connection).

I was not too happy about this and reading similar issues experienced by other users on this forum. So I rang Sky today (14th May) and spoke to the Fibre Team.

They did a line check and said there were no problems with my line. I got the feeling the guy was trying to get rid of me. I persisted and said I’m not happy with the speed I’m getting compared to what was estimated from Sky when I signed up. He then directed me to the thinkbroadband site and asked me to download a 20mb test file and report how long it took. I did so then tried the 50mb test file. This indicated that the speeds I was getting were 20mb.

He said he would speak to a colleague then I was on hold for a long time. He then said to go the following link where the test results would be much more accurate than normal speed test sites where he said were totally unreliable:

BT Speed Tester Lite (Beta)

Immediately the speed result on there was much better at around 37mb. This has got me thoroughly confused as compared to a lot of other speed test sites it is reporting around a 17mb gain in speed. Why was this so different? The person from Sky said this is due to the quality of the BT test server etc as compared to other speed test sites.

He said there is nothing else he could do and that normal speed test sites were totally inaccurate. I still think I was getting fobbed off and still feel that when I download the best I peak at is 3mb per second. Though most often it is around the 2mb mark. I ended the phone call unconvinced that I'm getting the correct throughput as estimated.

Just wondering if anyone else can add any thoughts around this as there seems to be a lot of other users experiencing similar issues where download speeds don’t match the connection potential of the line (half the speed on throughput).

Thanks in advance…Kerry

2. Advertisement
      andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2
      Router: Ubiquiti Unifi
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Re: Sky Fibre Speed Test Confusion?

Hi Kerry,

Go to http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-b...-try-info.html and try the things contained within. You may have already tried most of them tho.

Post back here
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > Ubiquiti UniFi | 58301/12298

nijohc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Try downloading a suitably large test file (say 1000MB) from mirror.nl.leaseweb.net | powered by LeaseWeb Downloads from here always max out my connection at about 4.6MB/s

gfsracing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: worksop
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

concerned at my speeds i rebooted my pc in Safe Networking mode and wired connection into the router last night and got the following

BBC I player diagnostics test speed on 37.5mb
      Sky user 33-35mb
      Speed test 28mb

with so many different results its hard to know which is true

On wireless in normal boot mode i get around 30-33mb on laptop and 25mb on ipad 3

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Fab Fibre (Sky network)
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

There's a very interesting document on the M-Labs website (I think it's under Additional resources) entitled "Understanding Broadband Speed Measurements" by Bauer Clark and Lehr.

Having read this, I'm not at all surprised at the differences in values returned by various speedtesters for the same connection.

The only thing that is fairly certain is the speed of the link to the RDSLAM (and even that is probably best taken from the modem stats rather than the router).

It's easy to forget that when a speedtest is run it's not a direct point-ot-point connection from your computer to the speedtest site. The speedtest traffic is travelling over the internet via various networks and servers. There are just so many places where slowdowns and bottlenecks can occur.

I suppose the ideal would be some kind of dedicated SFU speedtester hosted on a Sky server that can be connected to with the minimum number of hops and ideally with the traffic not having to leave the Sky network.
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

David76 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by speedyrite View Post
      I suppose the ideal would be some kind of dedicated SFU speedtester hosted on a Sky server that can be connected to with the minimum number of hops and ideally with the traffic not having to leave the Sky network.
      the only issue with that is the massive support issue sky would have when the external speed test is half a meg slower, than the one hosted on their network! "omg, sky are throttling me connection by .50mb, am gunna leave to BT!"
      Moxey likes this.