Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Router issue with Mixed Wired/wireless Network.

This is a discussion on Router issue with Mixed Wired/wireless Network. within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; So at the second attempt Fibre was installed and speeds are good BUT I have a major issue and that's ...

wakey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: HASLINGTON
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: TP-Link TP-1043ND
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Router issue with Mixed Wired/wireless Network.

So at the second attempt Fibre was installed and speeds are good BUT I have a major issue and that's the router.

After the engineer didn't turn up the first time I had been using the 2504n router for the ADSL as it was better than my ageing Netgear (especially as the latest forms are sky pushed broke the address reservation system) and it worked perfectly.

Howver since Fibre was installed its had an unusual issue where wired devices can see each other but can't see wired devices and Vise Versa.

My network is such that I have the sky router downstairs at the front of the house which feeds into a homeplugs which connects to a homeplugs upstairs at the back of the house and into another wireless router. As its technically wired, wireless devices connecting to the sky router can't see anything connected to the router upstairs and upstairs can't see any device connecting to the sky router wirelessly.

What makes it stranger is Team Viewer will connect to any device from any other device, it's just trying to go wired to wireless (or wireless to wired) via the likes of windows networking.

Anyone else experienced this? (and if you haven't perhaps try it, attach a computer via wired and then try and view a network share on another computer connected wirelessly as it looks like a fairly major bug in the router)

2. Advertisement
      nijohc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Re: Router issue with Mixed Wired/wireless Network.

All computers on my network can see each other just fine (both wired and wireless). Strange if it was working for you before fibre but now it isn't? Can't rule out a bug in the router but I'd be more inclined to check your network and share settings on each PC first.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Check that 'Wireless Isolation' hasn't been enabled.

Another member expressed issues with disabling it. If this is the case with yourself, reset your router by pressing the reset button for 10 seconds (with the power on) and checking things once more.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Check that 'Wireless Isolation' hasn't been enabled.

Another member expressed issues with disabling it. If this is the case with yourself, reset your router by pressing the reset button for 10 seconds (with the power on) and checking things once more.
      Nope Wirelss isolation isn't on so that's not it.

Could it be the IP address that's the issue, I changed it from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1 as that's the way I have always set my network up and didn't want to change but I read somewhere earlier (might have been one of your posts) that the BTO modem uses 192.168.1.1?

If that was going to be an issue I would have thought it would have caused other issues and no allowed traffic via remote desktop applications like TeamViewer and VNC but the modems the onl thing thats changed

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

The BTO Modem does use 192.168.1.1. It the Sky router uses the same address, then it could become confused. I would suggest that you change the Sky router to 192.168.1.254 and set the allocated IP Addresses to start from 192.168.1.10 to avoid conflict with the Modem.

Unless it is important for you to gain access to the BTO Modem on a regular basis, you could always set the IP Range to something else entirely different.

P.S. Could you consider updating your Profile please now that you are on SFU?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Changing the IP address didn't resolve the issue either. Its so frustrating. Looks like i'm going to have to buy a new router to sit behind the sky router and then turn wifi off on the sky router just to get my network working as it should do. Can't say i'm happy about that when bridging the wireless and wired networks should be one of the base functions of a wireless router

David76 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nijohc View Post
      All computers on my network can see each other just fine (both wired and wireless). Strange if it was working for you before fibre but now it isn't? Can't rule out a bug in the router but I'd be more inclined to check your network and share settings on each PC first.
      no issues for me also! so i cant see it being a bug, unless you have some unique lan setup that triggers it

what troubleshooting and changes have you made at your end?

Thanks

Disabled Firewalls on computers, tried both static and Dynamic IP's on all computers, changed Router IP, reset router to factory settings.

And the networks not that complicated.

BTO Modem -> Sky Router -> Homeplugs -> Linksys Router

sky Router has a wired connection to a file/backup server and connect wireless to it when downstairs

Linksys Router is upstairs and has a combination of wired and wireless connections to it as the wireless signal from sky router downstairs isn't strong enough to reach the upstairs rooms at the back of the house.

Sky Routers handling the DHCP with DHCP server tuned off on the Linksys router

fourmonks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01788
      Thanks

Hi - I see the same problem. Fibre was installed yesterday and I replaced my Netgear for the Sagem 2504N. On the wired side, I have 3 machines and a few other devices including the Sky HD box and two other access points. On the wireless side, if I connect via the Sagem, I can access the internet but cannot see any other devices. If I use the same laptop to connect via one of the other APs, no problems. It is as if the wireless isolation tick is on .. but it's not. I'm using static IP addresses and the 192.168.0.* subnet i.e. the default. Using the other APs for the moment.. but I share your frustration.

s1ndr0me is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SWPEU
      Thanks

I have the same issue. It appears the reservations are fubar. Took a while to work out what was going on but I've not been able to resolve it. This is a pain in the backside as we have a few devices that I like to keep on reservations such as media centers and the NAS. The best solution I found was to install DHCP on the NAS.

I'd just turn off the dhcp on your sky router and enable it on the linksys. That should work just fine.

The sky router is pretty weak imo, considering there is no option to replace it. While it maybe true that it's fine for casual users i'd say the poor firmware and lack of gigabit with 80/20 about to be rolled out make it not fit for purpose. well maybe thats a bit harsh but you get my point?

s1n

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast