Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Router issue with Mixed Wired/wireless Network.

This is a discussion on Router issue with Mixed Wired/wireless Network. within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by s1ndr0me I have the same issue. It appears the reservations are fubar. Took a while to work ...

wakey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: HASLINGTON
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: TP-Link TP-1043ND
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Router issue with Mixed Wired/wireless Network.

Quote Originally Posted by s1ndr0me View Post
      I have the same issue. It appears the reservations are fubar. Took a while to work out what was going on but I've not been able to resolve it. This is a pain in the backside as we have a few devices that I like to keep on reservations such as media centers and the NAS. The best solution I found was to install DHCP on the NAS.

I'd just turn off the dhcp on your sky router and enable it on the linksys. That should work just fine.

The sky router is pretty weak imo, considering there is no option to replace it. While it maybe true that it's fine for casual users i'd say the poor firmware and lack of gigabit with 80/20 about to be rolled out make it not fit for purpose. well maybe thats a bit harsh but you get my point?

s1n
      Tried switching to the Linksys but doesn't seem to be helping. And any device that gets an IP dynamically losses the ability to access the internet as well. If the linksys is handling the DHCP what should be the default gateway, the Linksys or the SkyRouter?

2. Advertisement
      David76 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

@wakey. the sky router would be your gateway.

in you network settings does yours show home network on all our pcs? thats if your using win7, never asked that question

Router issue with Mixed Wired/wireless Network.-lan.jpg
      Last edited by David76; 16-05-12 at 09:10 PM. Reason: assumed win7

wakey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: HASLINGTON
      Router: TP-Link TP-1043ND
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by David76 View Post
      @wakey. the sky router would be your gateway.

in you network settings does yours show home network on all our pcs? thats if your using win7, never asked that question

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lan.jpg 
Views:	818 
Size:	126.9 KB 
ID:	3288
      Yep all identifying as Home.

Fryingpan77 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shipley
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      I'm also suffering from disappearing device syndrome. Wanted to try swapping the DHCP over to my netgear rangemax router.
      I had massive problems turning DHCP off on my old sagem. Couldn't do it after many attempts, and then found out today that I can't disable it on my fibre sagem.
      Has anybody else come across this problem?
      Sent from my ST18i
      Last edited by Fryingpan77; 16-05-12 at 10:54 PM.
      With sky since 1997.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fryingpan77 View Post
      I've had massive problems turning DHCP off on my old sagem. Couldn't do it after many attempts, and then found out today that I can't disable it on my fibre sagem.
      Has anybody else come across this problem?
      Hi again Something that was mentioned in another totally different thread relating to the Sagem 2504N: It appears to need to be connected to the Internet in order for any changes through the GUI to be accepted. I'll let you figure out how difficult this will be when the router concerned is an ADSL only router and you now have SFU.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Fryingpan77 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shipley
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Hi again Something that was mentioned in another totally different thread relating to the Sagem 2504N: It appears to need to be connected to the Internet in order for any changes through the GUI to be accepted. I'll let you figure out how difficult this will be when the router concerned is an ADSL only router and you now have SFU.
      I had a feeling that might be the case but now I can't turn it of in my fibre router, which is connected to the internet. Its not a big issue but it bugs me when things don't work as they should.

Sent from my ST18i
      With sky since 1997.

jpdw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I have the same problem - 2504n on SFU.
      I have a several wired PCs connected (via another unmanaged switch) to one of the wired ports of the 2504n.
      Connecting my laptop to the 2504n via the WLAN, and I can't reach (ping etc - see below) any of the wired machines.
      Connect the same laptop to another *wired* port of the 2504n, repeat same tests.... and it works as expected.

One of my PCs is a DHCP server - turning off the DHCP option on the 2504n, and in either wired or wireless mode (above tests), an IP address gets allocated from my dhcp server -- suggesting layer 2 bridging is working between WLAN and wired interfaces. Yet no matter what I do, ping/ssh/telnet etc from WLAN to wired wont work.

Toggling the "wireless isolation" makes no difference, though logically the behaviour really does make it seem like this 'feature' is stuck enabled --- ie in isolation mode, dhcp requests still need to be fulfilled, yet any other L3 would be expected to get blocked.

This is the sort of thing that "just works" on pretty much any kit (soho dsl to enterprise) that I've used before, but then I gather this FW is specifically erm enhanced.....

I'd do some further testing around L2/L3 behaviour if it wasn't that this issue just lost me an hour when I was intending to do something else (re-connect my IPv6 tunnel 'lost' moving from Be to Sky) so will probably just fall back to an old WLAN/LAN bridge for now -- watching the thread on the Billion firmware and/or running default FW on the Sky router - either of which would be preffered. What's really annoying is that -- if there was a CLI enabled, it's probably fixable in a single command line......

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Which Homeplugs do you have?

Mine (Solwise PL-1000M's) have serious issues with devices moving on the network as they don't update their forwarding tables.

In my case the problem is if the device moved from the downstairs AP to the Upstairs AP it couldn't talk across the powerline link (Which was a major problem as it needed to do so to reach the internet)

I worked around it in the end by tunneling all the traffic from the upstairs AP to my firewall/router but this requires kit that can do it, it also means I've got an extra firewall/router plugged in upstairs just to handle this tunneling :-(

Jaymzrsa is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I posted my problem here ages ago on another thread, I never got the issue resolved.

Setup is
      Sky Fibre router (connecting to internet)
      3 x Home plugs
      1 x generic 802.11n AP & switch
      1 x Netgear NAS

All Lan cables connect to the 802.11n switch and I have to connect wirelessly to it as well (it is linked by cable to the Sky router). No wireless connections are made to the Sky router. If I connect to the generic I can access the NAS and other devices as well as the net, everything works OK but I don't get full internet speed, I also can not connect to the Sky router. If I connect directly to the Sky router, I can access its config and the internet getting full speed but can not access other machines or the NAS.

I have given up trying to fix the issue. It is most certainly an issue, many people are reporting it but I don't see it getting fixed if it has not been fixed already.

steff8n is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Yep, I had the same problem ever since install a few months ago. I gave up trying in the end and have been using an Apple Time machine as the main house router, connected to the Sagem router only for DHCP and internet.

I have tried pretty much everything in this post to get the Sky router working correctly but was getting nowhere and decided i had better things to do. to cut a long story short i spent an hour on the phone to sky and they insisted it was the router and sent me a new one (same make/model/firmware). This had exactly the same problem no surprise there.

However i did notice the new one worked once then stopped again and that gave me a clue. My time capsule is set to bridging mode, DHCP off, and in my basic knowledge should therefore not interfere with the sky router, but it does seem to.

So I did something almost too simple. Turned the TC off, and disconnected it completely. A reset of your sky router is not enough. Unplug that too and reboot. it'll take a few minutes for it to cough into life but i can now see wired devices from wireless devices, and this is the same router i've had since install.

Strange. But to prove it i simply reconnected the TC no issue. done a few tests > fine.
      Reenabled wireless on the TC, back to the same problem as before, wireless clients cant see wired through the sky router.
      disabled wireless on the TC, full power off/on and back to a working setup.

So it would appear this is a problem with routers connecting together, mashed up routing tables or somesuch problem. It can be simply got around. I hope this was of some use as it was a nightmare trying to explain it to the fibre broadband helpline.

Reduce your network to one router, power off your problematic sagem router and try again. Good luck

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast