Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Sky Fibre for those not in a Sky network area

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre for those not in a Sky network area within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Rumours inbound are that those not in a Sky network area (Non- SVBN ) will be able to get Sky ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Sky Fibre for those not in a Sky network area

Rumours inbound are that those not in a Sky network area (Non-SVBN) will be able to get Sky Fibre Unlimited (and Pro I assume) come June/July time.

We have known about this for a couple of weeks, but now it has been stated by 2 different sources, so therefore credible. (ish)
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Sky Fibre for those not in a Sky network area

Does this just apply only to exchanges where Sky have equipment installed but are not on the SVBN, or will it apply to exchanges where, at the moment, user can only get Connect?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Everything we know is in the first post.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Surely theres not going to be many areas where LLU is not available but fibre is though?? If an exchange is not financially viable for LLU what going to make it viable for fibre? I would imagine installing fibre is much more expensive than installing LLU.

Moxey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: SkyQ Hub ER110
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2TB + Mini
      Thanks

Fiber and LLU are totaly seperate issues and i doubt LLU availability will play any part in the planned roll out schedule of fiber, bto will be upgrading most of its exchanges for fiber regardless of what other services are available and whether or not other CP's have LLU in an exchange is often purely down to what if any space BTO make available at each exchange and there will be exchanges that have limited or no space provisioned for LLU services.
      There was a general briefing posted this month on the BTO website about this very situation where space is now available at a number of exchanges where it previously wasent.

GEN043/12 Space availability at previously closed sites

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

08/05/2012 For Information

This briefing on exchange space availability is for LLU and Ethernet Communications Providers.
      The purpose of this brief is to highlight space availability at previously closed exchange sites

In line with our commitment to monitor sites which have previously resulted in 'no space' responses when customers/CPs placed initial orders for Points of Presence (POPs), a number of exchanges have been reviewed and re-surveyed.

It is now feasible that space could be made available at the sites listed below:-

North Wales

Ellesmere

Glyndwr

Hollingswood

North East

Bowes

Tottington (non ESS)

East Anglia

Chafford

Cambridge Science Park

South Wales

Shirley

Seven Sisters

Scotland

Lhanbryde

Glasgow Telephone House

Wessex

South Molton

Orders will be managed on a first come first served basis and will need to be for the newly launched Flexible Comingling Product (FCP).

It is anticipated that there will be extended lead times for build in the majority of cases due to enabling works.

If you have any queries, please contact your Sales & Relationship Manager.

Issued by KJS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The contents of this briefing are accurate at the time of writing and are subject to change.

Please discuss any queries or issues in relation to this briefing with your Sales & Relationship Manager or Service contact, who will be pleased to assist.

Our Customer News Centre is now available at Openreach Customer News Centre which will provide you with a central point to check out the latest news and briefings information from Openreach.

James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

I know they are separate but BT are simply not going to roll out fibre to every single exchange in the UK as it's simple too expensive to do. BT are also not upgrading most exchanges either. It's the same process as with ADSL and ADSL2+ as in if there's no demand for it, they won't do it.

Less than 35% of the UK currently has access to fibre, that's not exactly going to cover all the areas that are not in the Sky LLU network is it? Most of the areas that have fibre will probably also have LLU anyway as fibre is only been rolled out in larger towns & cities that are often market 3 exchanges anyway.

buddbuttocks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks

I think "non-Sky network area" would imply both Connect and Sky Broadband network (non-SVBN) exchanges, as I'm pretty sure Sky's old Stinger DSLAMs are not capable of VDSL. I'm guessing they will be reselling a BT fibre product for all non-SVBN areas - and I doubt it will be unlimited and/or unmanaged.
      NewsreadeR likes this.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by buddbuttocks View Post
      I think "non-Sky network area" would imply both Connect and Sky Broadband network (non-SVBN) exchanges, as I'm pretty sure Sky's old Stinger DSLAMs are not capable of VDSL. I'm guessing they will be reselling a BT fibre product for all non-SVBN areas - and I doubt it will be unlimited and/or unmanaged.
      Thats pretty much what we thought would happen, whilst discussing it in area 51

As for the unlimited bit, I would also share that conclusion.

Crashst3r is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Taunton
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

I was gonna say i had heard about that being july for the rollout to all in non sky network areas.

I was given a link by sky themselves its for the sky staff page to check if they can get fibre in their area (you check postcode only)

Hopefully its ok to post Staff Fibre Checker

Moxey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: SkyQ Hub ER110
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2TB + Mini
      Thanks

Sorry, Sky Fibre isn't available in your area right now

Fibre is being rolled out on an on-going basis and is currently available to Sky Network customers only. Right now, Sky’s Fibre network area does not match Openreach’s network area exactly, and you may be able to get fibre with BT and not with Sky.

From July, people in a Fibre area and a non-Sky network area will be able to get fibre from Sky.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast