Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Terrible speeds on wireless

This is a discussion on Terrible speeds on wireless within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I got Fibre installed on Thursday 3rd & it's been driving me crazy ever since. Before the engineer left he ...

jokenball is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ballymena (NIBM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Terrible speeds on wireless

I got Fibre installed on Thursday 3rd & it's been driving me crazy ever since. Before the engineer left he asked me to check a couple of websites to see if they worked & when I went to speedtest.net the download was about 26 Mbps so that was great for me as I was used to about 4 Mbps before.

Later on that night I was watching BBC iPlayer & it kept on buffering & it was just over 1 Mbps. Ever since then I've been speed testing random points & it ranges from 1 - 25 Mpbs but more often than not it is in the single digits. I reset both routers & still the same. Tried changing the channels but it gets high straight after the change to any new channel but dies away within 10 mins.

I read this http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-b...-try-info.html & have done checks over the last few hours with the Ethernet Cable & wireless turned off & was shocked that my speeds are consistently over 30 Mbps. I read another post about inSSIDer & installed that & there is only 1 other wireless network in half decent range & the channel is not near mine. There's a couple of other weak signals that drifted in & out over the few hours & also not on same channel. I have a cordless phone (not near the router or laptop) that I turned off just to see if it was causing interference but it made no difference either.

There is nothing else I can think of that is causing this terrible speed. Most speed checks don't even make it past 7 Mbps but I've had a couple make it above 10 with the highest ever being 25 Mbps. Is my router faulty or what else could it be?

Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2
      Router: Ubiquiti Unifi
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Re: Terrible speeds on wireless

what spec is the wireless car in your laptop? if its only a g rated card then that may explain the slow speeds over wireless
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > Ubiquiti UniFi | 58301/12298

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I have just replied to your other post here - http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-b...tml#post372812

Try what I suggest there. Please respond here.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjr View Post
      what spec is the wireless car in your laptop? if its only a g rated card then that may explain the slow speeds over wireless
      I'm not sure how to find that out. I tried looking for the specs from the online place I bought it doesn't give full specs because it's discontinued. All I can find is:-

Acer Aspire 5536 Laptop, AMD Turion RM-74 2.2GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, 15.6" WXGA, DVDRW,HDMI,Webcam Card Reader WIFI, ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

There is nothing on any of the stickers to say what kind of wifi it has. Am I right in thinking that g wifi goes up to 20 Mbps? To be honest if it sat stable at 10 I'd be happy enough. It's all the jumping about that drives me mad. It's worse than the old ADSL for buffering video at times. I'm not a speed freak that needs to have loads or right up to the max. All I want to do is watch streaming video without buffering.

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I have just replied to your other post here - http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-b...tml#post372812

Try what I suggest there. Please respond here.
      I definitely don't have malware. All scans clean on Malware bytes & my own Microsoft Security Essentials. I realise now I had uTorrent on in the background for the first speed test that wouldn't have been on for the safe mode one so that would account for that difference.

don2345 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: northern
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

On your computer, go to control panel>>device manager>>network adapters and look at what type you have on your computer

7. The Following User Says Thank You to don2345 For This Useful Post:

jokenball (06-05-12)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I believe the 5536 uses different wifi adapter manufacturers, some have wifi G and some Draft N. You would have to establish exactly what you have and download and install the latest drivers. It may not be the drivers at fault, but it is better to update them to be sure. Even if you have the latest version, uninstall the old ones as they may be corrupted in some way. One of the best apps for discovering exactly what hardware you have is this - Download Everest Home Edition 2.20 Free - Everest Home Edition - a freeware system information, system diagnostics and benchmarking solution - Softpedia

Also make sure you are using the Windows wireless manager, manufacturer's management software can sometimes be flakey.

What OS are you using?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

jokenball (06-05-12)

Thanks

It says Atheros AR5B91. That software is great as I didn't know very much about the laptop before.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Atheros AR5B91 11bgn PCIe Mini-Card Reference Design

According to that page it is WiFi n, but it doesn't say what speed.

If you are interested though, it is possible to replace the card provided that you can get access to where it is installed. Check which of the 2 sizes it is that you have first.

If you search somewhere such as Amazon you'll be presented with a host of compatible cards. The Intel 5300, 6230 or 6300 are all nice internal adaptors. Each is available in both sizes.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

I'll have a look at Scubbie. I've another laptop that's newer than this one. I bought it 6 or 7 months ago but just never liked it or the keyboard so went back to this one. I'll have to get it out & see what it's like on wireless.

It's been a lot more stable today for whatever reason so for now I'm happy enough. If it plays up again I'll try the other one.

Thanks everyone for the help & suggestions.