Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 9 of 42 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Like Tree28Likes

Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed

This is a discussion on Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by web_wizard Something interesting for me now. I have the engineer coming tomorrow so wanted to double check ...

Doobrey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

re: Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed

Quote Originally Posted by web_wizard View Post
      Something interesting for me now.

I have the engineer coming tomorrow so wanted to double check I have no hardware fault. Ran a speed test earlier on the SKY router and it squeezed upt 33mb at one point. Ran one immediately afterwards, was back down to 23. Ran another 29, then another and was 37. I could not get a consistant speed. So I thought, the only piece of equipment I haven't been able to rule out is the SKY router. So, switched it off, plugged my own cable router in by passing the SKY router all together and get speeds like this constantly now:

My throughput has improved slightly as well however, when downloading files I can still only manage 2.2mb/s? Gets more frustrating by the minute!
      By the way, what cable route did you use ??

2. Advertisement
      web_wizard is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Undercliffe (MYUND)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Thanks

re: Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed

Quote Originally Posted by Doobrey View Post
      If the sky router is faulty, as you are synching at 37mb now, will it take some time for the profile on your line to adjust perhaps?????

The would at least explain why your downloads are 2.2Mb still...

Hmmmm..
      This is what I was thinking, however, I have gone back to the SKY router over night as it should be so that I can get the engineer to run some proper tests. This morning can't get above 30mb with the SKY router.

Quote Originally Posted by Doobrey View Post
      By the way, what cable route did you use ??
      I was using a TP Link router. Model number TL-WR1043ND and the connection was solid.

Doobrey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Please keep us updated with what the engineer finds... It could be a batch of faulty routers... Out of interest, is it possible to flash our old "adsl 2" routers with new firmware to use them on fttc? Or are they ompketely if fervent hardware ?

Damo82 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: HD+ Litmited Ed
      Thanks

phone today to find where the BTO engineer was only to be told that there a fault on the BTO system that meant my booked appointment was never fully accepted so one wasted morning. Sky fibre service is starting to look more and more like a joke

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

This is not good. Whilst Sky Fibre is a new product, there are a few too many BTO/Sky issues coming out of the woodwork at the moment.

If you have not already done so, try to speak with a manager to ensure that you get a BTO appointment ASAP.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Ipster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

If Sky's or BT's system is unable to complete an order then I think they should either take it down and repaired or take orders over the phone only. I know it will be said that lots of orders are sucessfull but it really shouldn't be happening now. One of the main reasons people do not like BT is down to the lack of customer service yet things like this will only slow down the uptake or make people go to BT.

Whilst its still new to sky, they do not seem to be rushing to fix things!

Thanks

An update from me.

BTO engineers came to my house yesterday morning and were here for 2 hours. I have nothing but good things to say about those guys as they were very thorough and checked everything that they could. All of their tests were saying that my line was capable of 154mb down and 33mb up at the moment so distance wasn't the issue. They also said that the modem was sync'd at 40mb and 2mb upload. My throughput was still 23mb.

They swapped out my modem to rule it out with another Huawei modem. Still the same. They then swapped it for the other modem, still the same.

They rang SKY who were actually, useless. The engineers were asking them all sorts of questions and they had to keep going away and coming back for answers. We then asked them who was responsible for resetting the IP profile as no one seemed to be sure, first person we spoke to didn't have a clue. Second person I spoke to said it was Openreach. That confirmed, the BTO engineer then booted up his laptop to see if there was the option for him to reset the profile. He didn't have the option on the laptop so rang his call centre and had to jump through numerous hoops to get to the people with the privileges to reset the line. The first person the engineer spoke to wouldn't reset the profile because they said my throughpout was 'acceptable.'

Engineer then rang back and lied, saying my throughput was below 14mb and this was acceptable for Openreach to reset the profile. Took about 10 mins for my modem to re-sync. Speedtest was now showing 37mb on speedtest.net but throughput seems to be still capped as no matter what I download i cannot acheive any higher than 2.3mb/s download speed. Anyone got a website link to download something that you can get your full speed to test this?

So I am a little further forward but still not entirely happy with everything. The profile reset now enables me to reach maximum speed continually on speedtest.net however, not on think broadband's website.

SKY are sending me a new router (which I cannot see why) but if this fails and I don't get an increase in throughput I will be looking at cancelling it because everything seems too dis-organised and support don't seem to have a clue which is thoroughly disappointing.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to web_wizard For This Useful Post:

speedyrite (13-05-12)

Fryingpan77 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shipley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Try the xp download from andrewjr on page 8 of this thread. Do it off of internet explorer and when you go on view downloads it will tell you the speed its coming in at. If its over 4 your laughing.

Sent from my ST18i
      With sky since 1997.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fryingpan77 View Post
      Try the xp download from andrewjr on page 8 of this thread. Do it off of internet explorer and when you go on view downloads it will tell you the speed its coming in at. If its over 4 your laughing.

Sent from my ST18i
      Max I can get is 2.2mb/sec

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by web_wizard View Post
      everything seems too dis-organised and support don't seem to have a clue which is thoroughly disappointing.
      I find that very worrying. It must surely be a concern to all SFU customers. Maybe no problem today but who knows what might happen tomorrow?

PS. Very useful also to note that BTO profiles do seem to apply to SFU connections!
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Page 9 of 42 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)