Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Like Tree28Likes

Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed

This is a discussion on Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I get 20-25Mb during the day and 6-15Mb during peak time, thats being synced at 39992/2000...

StimoUk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMMAL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

re: Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed

I get 20-25Mb during the day and 6-15Mb during peak time, thats being synced at 39992/2000

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

re: Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed

I would suggest that you are getting the worst of both problems then.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

StimoUk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMMAL
      Thanks

Cheers. lol.

gxm
      gxm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      There is a simple way to confirm that. Could someone use "tracert" to both the BT Speed Test site and the speedtest.net site? Ideally two people, one on a good connection, the other on a bad connection, would be more useful to compare the results.

Edit: Snap!
      I've given it a go and I'm on a "bad" connection. As far as I can tell the results look pretty much the same as with those on the good connections listed previously.

I've been playing around trying to see where the connections are going when the speed tests are running and as far as I could see (and I'm no expert) I got the following:

During BT speedtest (beta 24+) I got connections to edgecache902-manchester.se.csp999-998.cdd.bt.net:80 and cddns4.bt.net:80.
      During SkyUser speedtest I got a connection to newsreader.cachefly.net:80
      During a Speedtest.net run I got a connection to speedtest.net.structuredcommunications.co.uk:80

The first two tests always seem to give me close to sync speeds (40000), whereas the latter (and everywhere else) gets me around 20-25Mbps.

Could the fact that the first two servers have cache in their name be a coincidence or could it suggest a reason why those tests are always faster?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

It would be interesting to compare the whole router of a good and a bad connection. This way it might be possible to see if there is something significant in the routing of the traffic.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

David76 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I have come to the conclusion that tracing to the BT speedtester will prove nothing As you are accessing it through the Sky Connection it is not going to give you any useful information. It may be completely different if you are accessing it as a speed tester where your connection is handled by the BT server.
      it was to prove that the data to the bt speedtester leaves the sky networks, and that anyone getting near to their sync speed may not be having their throttled by sky.

damo82 testing it gets zero improvement no matter what speedtester is used, so i would guess he has a slightly different problem.

Damo82 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: HD+ Litmited Ed
      Thanks

don't think is any setting sky has put in place unless by accident from what I seen they been sending out BTO to inverstigate it. So they will get heavily charge if its something that they set.

mrplant is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Musselburgh
      Sky TV: SkyHD AnyTime+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjr View Post
      doesn't make sense at all.

I just checked the BT checker 3 times add the results and 38.45Mbps was the average, which is close to what I get on speedtest.net and on the speedtester here.

What other sites have you tried? have you tried downloading an XP SP3 update and seeing what it comes down at (should be around 4.5Mb/s)

Download: Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details

note: this is fibre version of the BT speed checker BT Speed Tester Lite (Beta)
      I get 1.3mb when downloading that file. BT speed tester shows 35.99 mb. wired connection. no security software. speediest.net shows 24.3mb - unless i manually choose manchester exchange which gives 34.13 - all the other servers show around 24 max - very strange.

On real world downloads i peak at 2mb - can never get faster than that.

web_wizard is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Undercliffe (MYUND)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Thanks

Something interesting for me now.

I have the engineer coming tomorrow so wanted to double check I have no hardware fault. Ran a speed test earlier on the SKY router and it squeezed upt 33mb at one point. Ran one immediately afterwards, was back down to 23. Ran another 29, then another and was 37. I could not get a consistant speed. So I thought, the only piece of equipment I haven't been able to rule out is the SKY router. So, switched it off, plugged my own cable router in by passing the SKY router all together and get speeds like this constantly now:

My throughput has improved slightly as well however, when downloading files I can still only manage 2.2mb/s? Gets more frustrating by the minute!
      Last edited by web_wizard; 11-05-12 at 08:36 PM. Reason: spelling

Doobrey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Thanks

If the sky router is faulty, as you are synching at 37mb now, will it take some time for the profile on your line to adjust perhaps?????

The would at least explain why your downloads are 2.2Mb still...

Hmmmm..

Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)