Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 6 of 42 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Like Tree28Likes

Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed

This is a discussion on Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Getting the same problem myself. Sky fibre fitted last Friday, previously with Sky LLU unlimited. Live a stone's throw from ...

Phillips39 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

re: Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed

Getting the same problem myself.

Sky fibre fitted last Friday, previously with Sky LLU unlimited. Live a stone's throw from my exchange and even closer to the green cabinet (the BTO engineer walked from the cabinet to my house it was so close!). As a result always had full adsl speeds (20mb on sky, 24 on Be).

Router permanently synced at 39999 down and 1999 up. Did a speed test an hour after install and got 35mbps throughput - which I thought was a smidge low due the BTO guy saying I could get the full 40/2 and even 103/50 should that ever be enabled. However, just put it down to DLM, etc. However, a couple of hours later I couldn't get above 25mbps. Later that evening, 12-15mbps. This was all on a wired connection. Wifi was slower again, despite having very little difference between the two connection types when on adsl - I use an airport extreme for Wifi and still do.

I called Sky on Sunday morning to report the slow speed (after reading the first post off this thread) and they sent a BTO engineer round within two hours! Which I was very impressed with. He couldn't find any fault with the line though and confirmed the same potential speeds as the engineer who installed it. To be fair, he even checked my BTO modem and looked through my setup to make sure nothing was untoward. He called Sky in front of me to say everyting was fien from BTOs point of view. They made him go the cabinet to check there so he unplugged the connections and re-plugged them in. Immediately, I was back up to 35+mbps so he left.

Sky kept the call open and I'm glad they did, as upon checking it again later that evening I was back to getting speeds from 12-25mbps, but no more than 25. I rang them again and they are looking into it with BTO. Thursday now and I have had daily updates, but no resoltion so far. DLM apparently failed on my line this week which apparently has caused an issue. They are doing a 24 hour test which should be completed either later today or tomorrow. Should hopefully have an update then.

Very frustrating as my adsl was quicker and more reliable!

On a seperate note, has anyone managed to disable the DHCP and subsequently the NAT firewall on the sagem router. I deselect the DHCP by unticking it in the maintenance section, but it still says it is on on the router status page??? I'm trying to use my airport extreme for DHCP purposes rather than just in bridge mode, but keep getting the Double NAT error message.

Not a fan of this router! Like others have said, it is extremely slow to navigate and make changes to!

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

re: Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed

but it is still outside of skys network which is confusing as the only part of bts network that sky use is from your house to the exchange.
      No its the other way round, from your house to the exchange is BT. It is only in the exchange that it goes on to the Sky network. This why the tester gives you the higher speed, it is using the BT equipment, by-passing Sky's.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

web_wizard is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Undercliffe (MYUND)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gxm View Post
      Hi,

It sounds like I'm pretty much in the same situation as yourself with regards to file downloads speeds, other speedtests etc compared to the BT speedtester. However I am able to get better results from the SkyUser Speed Tester (not quite 37 but around 35). Do you still get the slow throughput speed from that test as well?
      Exactly same conditions as you buddy. Tester on here says about 35

Fryingpan77 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shipley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Quote Phillips39

On a seperate note, has anyone managed to disable the DHCP and subsequently the NAT firewall on the sagem router. I deselect the DHCP by unticking it in the maintenance section, but it still says it is on on the router status page??? I'm trying to use my airport extreme for DHCP purposes rather than just in bridge mode, but keep getting the Double NAT error message.

Not a fan of this router! Like others have said, it is extremely slow to navigate and make changes to![/QUOTE]

I have had the same problem disabling DHCP. Still can't do it on my fibre 2504n and my old adsl 2504n which I have now given to a family member. I wanted to connect the 2 and have wireless n coverage upstairs. I believe there is a firmware issue but if anybody has had success I also would be thankful of some advice. Sorry for being off topic.
      PS scubbie went through every step with me with no succsess.
      Sent from my ST18i
      Last edited by Fryingpan77; 10-05-12 at 02:11 PM.
      With sky since 1997.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Could I suggest that people start informing Ofcom about this issue?

If they collect enough information from all those affected, including other ISPs, then they should be able to cut through the BS and get BTO to sort it out.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

David76 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      No its the other way round, from your house to the exchange is BT.
      Quote Originally Posted by ME
      the only part of bts network that sky use is from your house to the exchange.
      it think you missed read what i wrote

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme
      It is only in the exchange that it goes on to the Sky network. This why the tester gives you the higher speed, it is using the BT equipment, by-passing Sky's.
      the speedtest, unless mistaken, is not at your local exchange where the connection is handed over to sky. i'm unsure how it can be by-passing skys network?

BT Modem (BTO) ----> Cabinet (BTO) ------> Exhange (BTO), then connection handed over to sky at the exchange - Sky equipment (SKY) - Sky Backhaul / Network (Sky) ----- BT Network (BTO) ----- BTO Speedtest (BTO). *few hops missing

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David76 View Post
      it think you missed read what i wrote

the speedtest, unless mistaken, is not at your local exchange where the connection is handed over to sky. i'm unsure how it can be by-passing skys network?

BT Modem (BTO) ----> Cabinet (BTO) ------> Exhange (BTO), then connection handed over to sky at the exchange - Sky equipment (SKY) - Sky Backhaul / Network (Sky) ----- BT Network (BTO) ----- BTO Speedtest (BTO). *few hops missing
      Yes I was thinking that too, although not quite sure how the inter-network connectivity works to access BT speedtest server once your request is on the Sky core network.
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Sorry, I think you are wrong. Maybe you could try a tracert to the BT Tester- 217.35.209.142

When I try it on ADSL it times out at BT Manchester. It will be interesting to see what happens with Fibre.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

There is a simple way to confirm that. Could someone use "tracert" to both the BT Speed Test site and the speedtest.net site? Ideally two people, one on a good connection, the other on a bad connection, would be more useful to compare the results.

Edit: Snap!

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Sorry, I think you are wrong. Maybe you could try a tracert to the BT Tester- 217.35.209.142

When I try it on ADSL it times out at BT Manchester. It will be interesting to see what happens with Fibre.
      I'll give it a whirl and report back later when I get home (unless someone else beats me to it)!
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Page 6 of 42 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)