Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3139404142 LastLast
    Like Tree28Likes

Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed

This is a discussion on Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'm still curious why so many hops show as 'time out' to a number of sites (bbc.co.uk )...

Angel_Rex is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Uckfield
      Broadband ISP: Zen FTTP
      Router: FRITZ!Box 3490
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Re: Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed

I'm still curious why so many hops show as 'time out' to a number of sites (bbc.co.uk )

2. Advertisement
      Crashst3r is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Taunton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed

Have they finally fixed this half speed issue?!?! tonight i tried JDSpeedtester and every time i've tried it i've always have 29mbs speed result. Tonight i have tried an was pleasently surprised....

Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed-jdast_results_2012-08-30_23-26.jpg

Edit: Maybe not, throughput on downloading still 2.8 :\ just when i got my hopes up lol

Edit 2: actually it just seems the sites i used we're giving false data, i tried ubuntu from a ftp server and was getting 4.2 looks like a fix is being rolled out
      Last edited by Crashst3r; 31-08-12 at 04:54 PM.

rammy104 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: willowcroft
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I have suffered from "half speed" fibre issues for around 5 months . No one seem to come up with a conclusive answer and due to more important issues , my concerns lay elsewhere . Consequently Ive neglected chasing up this problem.
      However earlier this week I spoke to a very helpful guy called "Tony" from Sky Fibre help team. They are apparently working with Openreach to resolve this issue and they have a bank of customers waiting for a solution. The planned "fix" is due for March 2013 so at least thats better news. Tony asked me to confirm the download speed Im getting by timing a 500mb file from Thinkbroadband , and indeed this confirmed I was only dlding at approx 21mb/s. ( Im syncing at 40mb/s)
      Tony did mention once resolved then compensation will be explored for those who have suffered this long lasting problem. He did ask someone else as to the nature of the problem and the fix, but nothing was forthcoming, probably meaning they dont know yet !
      I just wanted to share this information with those , like myself , who must have been really frustrated by the lack of the full download speed. My speed for the first couple of weeks was between 37 and 39mb/s then it all went pear shaped.!
      However having had a serious health problem in the meantime , the level of stress dropped significantly on this issue when I realised what real worry was. lol
      May I take the opportunity to wish all contributors Seasonal Greetings and may 2013 bring you all Peace, Happiness and Good health. ( and as a bonus a faster connection speed ) lol
      Regards
      Bret
      Angel_Rex likes this.

Veccy 150 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WNWX
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box (x2)
      Thanks

Had my Fibre installed today, the engineers checked the line and it came back at 36 down and 8 up. Modem is syncing at 40/8 but my actual speed is 10-15Meg down and download speeds wont go above 300kbps no matter where the file is which puzzled the engineers

Should I wait the 10 days before ringing sky or ring them now.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

I would be inclined to give them a call now. Do check the various speed testing sites first though.

Also check that your computer is set up to make the most of the faster speeds (software optimisation) and not, for example, using slow HomePlugs or WiFi (interference!).

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Veccy 150 (03-01-13)

Veccy 150 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WNWX
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box (x2)
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I would be inclined to give them a call now. Do check the various speed testing sites first though.

Also check that your computer is set up to make the most of the faster speeds (software optimisation) and not, for example, using slow HomePlugs or WiFi (interference!).
      Took your advice and gave them a ring this morning, turns out there is a fault on the line and the have escalated it to BT. Thanks
      Angel_Rex and Scubbie like this.

JacksterD is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Apple Airport Extreme
      Thanks

Looks like I might have this throughput issue too.

Got Fibre Pro installed yesterday and got the full 80000/20000 sync rates (having been estimated at 63mbps), and the Openreach guy said I should try speedtest.net to see how fast it was and he was a bit surprised when it only came up as around 40mbps and suggested I give Sky a call.

I left it, thinking maybe it was something to do with DLM, but today I'm still getting around the same, and the think broadband download tests are also showing around 40mbps. I had speedtest.net up at around 60mbps two or three times, but most of the time it hovers between 30mbps and 45mbps.

Gave Sky a call and the person ran me through a few tests, did some line checking and it all checked out fine, but after doing the think broadband test agreed that at ~40mbps the speed was low enough to suggest there's an issue somewhere, so said they would send me a new router out. I said that seemed unlikely to be the source of the issue as my Apple Airport Extreme was giving me the exact same speeds when I replaced the Sky Hub with it, and the person didn't seem to quite believe that I had been able to replace the Sky Hub, but nevertheless a new Sky Hub is on its way to me now.

The person mentioned that there's a "throughtput issue" on the network and that hopefully it wasn't that causing me problems as that wouldn't be fixed until March, but judging by these posts it seems that that is precisely what wrong here

EDIT: Do we know exactly what the cause of the throughput issue is? The person on my phone couldn't give me any details but said that a fix was in place. Is it a national problem? Or just limited to certain exchanges or cabinets? What determines who is affected and who isn't?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

There are issues which are effecting some exchanges and not others. Put you code in here and see if yours is listed.
      Broadband and Talk service updates | Sky Customer Support

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

JacksterD is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Apple Airport Extreme
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      There are issues which are effecting some exchanges and not others. Put you code in here and see if yours is listed.
      Broadband and Talk service updates | Sky Customer Support
      Thanks, apparently my exchange is unaffected.

What problem is that form checking for? Is it this half speed issue or just general exchange issues?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

This refers mainly to exchanges which need their output increased. Unfortunately just because your exchange is not on the list does not mean that it is not effected. It may be suffering from low throughput, but has not been listed yet. This is a separate issue from the 'half speed' problem which I don't think anyone knows the true cause, yet.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3139404142 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)