Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 37 of 42 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast
    Like Tree28Likes

Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed

This is a discussion on Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Does it only happen with people who have the 176 ip because my internets speed been going mental and it ...

Twiglet31 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Nuneaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

re: Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed

Does it only happen with people who have the 176 ip because my internets speed been going mental and it keeps sort of randomly disconnecting but is that due to the 1/2 speed problem or my Wireless adapter

2. Advertisement
      rammy104 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: willowcroft
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

re: Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed

My Sky fibre has the same problem as most contributors on this thread. For 2 weeks I was getting throughputs of 38Mb/s and ping times of 10ms ( using JD Auto speed tester). For the past 4 weeks my average speed has dropped to 27Mb/s and ping times almost doubled to 18ms. My router has been replaced and has the latest firmware. Sky fibre guys have been most helpful and are keeping in touch with me as to how my connection is behaving.
      However Ive recently been snooping on BT infinity fibre forum, and would you believe it, they are having exactly the same problem.
      Still not gettimg around 40mb - BTCare Community Forums

They have the same complaints in that the BT lite speed tester wrongly indicated 37Mb/s, for example, whereas every other speed tester reads reduced speeds. I can confirm this BT tester as being erronious as fixed files dld on my system at 2.5Mbytes/s which calculates to around 20Mb/s throughput speed. ( Im getting 37Mb/s and Bt's tester)
      Indeed some contributors have suggested this speed tester of BT's id deliberately being altered to read highly , so they can dismiss complaints and refuse to address the issues. Cynical ??? maybe ...but who knows...
      Lets hope this issue can be resolved sooner rather than later , and Im sure with the help Im getting from the Sky Fibre team ( namely David) a satisfactory conclusion can be obtained for one and all !
      Incidentally my ip address has covered all the ones quoted in this thread 173, 92, 94, etc with no improvements.

Hope everyone has a good friday/weekend and enjoy the games when they begin.!!

rammy104 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: willowcroft
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Was rather careless with my last post. The ip addresses mentioned should have read "those beginning with 176 and 94 "

David76 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rammy104 View Post
      They have the same complaints in that the BT lite speed tester wrongly indicated 37Mb/s, for example, whereas every other speed tester reads reduced speeds. I can confirm this BT tester as being erronious as fixed files dld on my system at 2.5Mbytes/s which calculates to around 20Mb/s throughput speed. ( Im getting 37Mb/s and Bt's tester)
      i find the bt tester to be very accurrate and consistant! its only firefox which messes it up

Quote Originally Posted by rammy104 View Post
      Indeed some contributors have suggested this speed tester of BT's id deliberately being altered to read highly , so they can dismiss complaints and refuse to address the issues. Cynical ??? maybe ...but who knows...
      its a placebo thing for the ocd sufferers, cause fibre has resulted in a national obsession of speed / ping tests with some religiously testing day/noon and night! a drop of 1mb / 1ms seems to be a life changing moment

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David76 View Post
      ...its a placebo thing for the ocd sufferers, cause fibre has resulted in a national obsession of speed / ping tests with some religiously testing day/noon and night! a drop of 1mb / 1ms seems to be a life changing moment
      What do you mean?

I want three FTTP lines, each with 1Gbit downstream and 1Gbit upstream connections, 2ms access to the USA and unlimited monthly limits.

All for the princely sum of no more than 30 per month.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

kimc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Pontefract
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      What do you mean?

I want three FTTP lines, each with 1Gbit downstream and 1Gbit upstream connections, 2ms access to the USA and unlimited monthly limits.

All for the princely sum of no more than 30 per month.
      Ooh...if only! lol

deskmonkey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bishop Auckland
      Thanks

As its affecting other ISP's to me this firmly supports the theory that the problem lies with Openreach - there must be a configuration issue between their equipment and the various ISP's kits that have to tag onto them.

Incidently I contacted Sky again on Saturday to chase up my 1/2speed problem as I'd heard nothing from them. They confirmed that my throughput issue is with the Sky Network guys, the CS bloke I spoke to mentioned that only 24 users 1/2 speed problem is being investigated at the moment with NO idea on a resolution date as yet.

In other words, they ain't got a clue what is wrong which is worrying.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deskmonkey View Post
      As its affecting other ISP's to me this firmly supports the theory that the problem lies with Openreach - there must be a configuration issue between their equipment and the various ISP's kits that have to tag onto them.
      This was pointed out very early on when this issue first emerged.

Personally if I were experiencing this problem, I would be checking the hardware, checking with the sites I was testing speeds with, triple check all the facts to ensure that there was nothing on my side to cause this issue (some members have found that their side has had an issue). Then when I am absolutely sure that the fault is not at my end, I would set about to report the issue to Ofcom and provide them with the data which I had accumulated.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Bassetts is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Arnold
      Thanks

I had SFU installed today and have been testing my speeds throughout the day. I am synced at 39996/9996 and my speed test have ranged from 13.84Mb/s to 33.90Mb/s download and 7.61Mb/s to 8.40Mb/s upload. I am more than happy with the upload but seeing as we were told we would get the full 40Mb/s I am somewhat disappointed with the download. Am I jumping the gun here with DLM or are my worries valid?

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

How are you testing? Speedtest? Synthetic test!

Page 37 of 42 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)