Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 33 of 42 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast
    Like Tree28Likes

Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed

This is a discussion on Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, as I was having the sky network team out today decided I would speed test things last night and ...

Damo82 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: HD+ Litmited Ed
      Thanks

re: Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed

Hi, as I was having the sky network team out today decided I would speed test things last night and my best resulkt over 2 laptops and 1 netbook connects via wired was 42 meg down, 8 meg up with ping of 46 on BT speed tester. (speedtest net was geting 33 pings of 38)

This morning when I hadsky guy out we were geting 50 meg on speedtest. net website with ping of 25, upload speed of 10, we just finished testing my kit, followed by testing using 2 modem he brought with him plus a router of his. Just at the end we tested bt speet test we got 74 at the peak. He also downloaded a file of the sky core server and download around the 2-3 meg mark. Though that was good and that all the changes of kit might have some how change the profile. I was on a sky IP beinging with a 9, i then turned everything of to tidy up the cable which ahd become a mess with all the changes of kit. Unfortunatly this change the IP address to one in newcastle (176.255 ) and my speed have crashed back to 25 -33meg. even bt speed test which is always slightly higher

Phone sky fibre to report this and had an idiot that did not understand DLM, sync speed or throughput.

As for the network team guy today he was great really tested everything, saw the problem and will be reporting back, but he admit they not expecting this to solve anything over night but help the build a pciture of what the problem is

shame for a min when I got the good speed results though it might have resolve it self

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

re: Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed

From what you have written there, it appears to be a routing issue. I could be wrong though.

I wouldn't put too much into the location of the IP Address at the moment, but it does appear that you connected through to a different group of Sky servers.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

norfykev is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ivybridge
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ 1TB HD box
      Thanks

A BTO Engineer turned up at my house yesterday morning and called my mobile whilst I was on my way to work. Luckily, my work are quite flexible so I called them to say I'd be late in and turned around to go home. I did not know when the Engineer was calling and Sky had previously told me I would not need to be in as there was a line fault outside of my household and the engineer would not need access. However, I'm glad I went home as he was pleased he could check out my internal socket, wiring and setup so we could get to the bottom of my slightly disappointing speeds.

Firstly, the Engineer was really nice and helpful but he immediately questioned the fact Sky had said there was a faulty open joint on my line as he said there was no way they could know that. Besides, by the time I got home again he had tested it up to the house and confirmed there were no obvious faults. Once indoors he tested from my newly installed master socket and confirmed there were zero faults on the line. He also tested from the output of the BTO modem and again speeds were showing on his equipment as the full 40/10. That meant the slowdown had to be somewhere from the sky modem onwards, although my uploads are pretty constant at 8-9k up so it’s only really downloads that are slower.

I removed everything from the Sky router except 1 fairly new and quick Windows 7 laptop connected by Ethernet. I ran speedtests at speedtest.net, which were round about 30Mbps and also the official BT site, and from there I was anywhere from about 34 – 37 Mbps, which is not really too bad for a 40 connection and can’t really be complained at. I think my Vodafone SureSignal box is sapping some of my speeds but also the powerline setup I use to take my internet around the house to 2 other old sky routers being used as bridges. With everything connected I could touch about 30 Mbps from the BT site and about 24-25 from the speedtest.net tester. He suggested that I should go to wireless, which may be a better option for me than my current powerline setup but as I have issues with sharing wireless and wired computers via my newest, fibre-modified Sky router is not an option at the moment. He was happy to take his time to help me test speeds so I can’t really speak highly enough of the BTO guy who came to my call.

Suffice to say I may not be the “half speeder” I thought I was but I am now not happy with the reply from Sky so far regarding my wired / wireless sharing issues. I have posted another thread about them but basically I have been advised to wait for a new firmware upgrade to sort that “known issue” out. There are other customers in the same boat though, and some have bneen waiting a while already so I won’t give them forever to sort this.

Sorry for the length of this post but I thought those of you reading this thread would like a thorough update. I’ll keep this thread informed if anything changes for me.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I wouldn't put too much into the location of the IP Address at the moment, but it does appear that you connected through to a different group of Sky servers.
      Would disagree there, well partly. I agree that the location might be of no importance, the IP and the server it connect to might, every time I get a 173 IP my performance drops big time (worse the 1/2). would have be interesting when i was briefly getting full speed via the bt speed tester to see where my IP was.

The way sky divide up the IP address are based of regions, the sub rejoins and then cities/big towns, from talking to sky we should not be getting some of the IP we are based of our area, they not sure why but they think it linked as the problems started at the same time

David76 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Thanks

just curious whats causing your ip to change alot? mines changed once in 3 months!!!

i'm lancashire, geoip shows me everywhere except where i am, but my line is superb

IP Address 94.*.*.*
      Network Type MER
      IP Subnet Mask 255.255.224.0
      Gateway IP Address 94.6.0.1
      Domain Name Server 90.207.238.97 90.207.238.99

Thanks

Unfortunately I don't work for Sky and have no access to how they route the connections or anything like that.

The IP addresses which begin with 176 are new to Sky and if they are being routed differently then this is something which Sky will need to resolve.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

deskmonkey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bishop Auckland
      Thanks

Well despite the engineer visit on Monday and what I thought was the solution. My download speeds have returned to what they were before his visit.

Not happy, what the hell is happening ??

? for someone who knows more than me, which ain't hard. When I run NETSTAT without either chrome or explorer running I see 4 or 5 connections established. When I open one window however I see 30ish, I've ran security sweeps etc all come back clean.

Is there a way to see what is actually connecting behind the scenes so that I can determine whether this simple thing is causing the 1/2 speed issue? btw I've tried safemode with networking.

Thanks

Mark

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2071273712.png

Thanks

Interesting...

Your IP Address is the same as it was when you posted on Monday and begins with 176. This conflicts with what Damo82 has stated as everything was fine back then.

deskmonkey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bishop Auckland
      Thanks

Interesting...

Your IP Address is the same as it was when you posted on Monday and begins with 176. This conflicts with what Damo82 has stated as everything was fine back then.
      Well I ain't a clue as to what's going on..... I know one thing though, its starting to make me a bit obsessive.

Btw my IP address is currently showing Bedford, Bedfordshire - I'm actually in County Durham.

Just downloaded a 200mb test file from thinkbroadband, download speed was 2.1MB/s and just so you know I'm not going daft, here's my router stats. I'm still connected via Cat5e.

Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed-router-stat.jpg

Exchange:
      Thanks

Interesting...

Did not say everything was fine on Monday, said we got full speed today breifly but never checked the IP but new it was one of the normal IP I get from sky starting with a 9.

Just checked dns automatic and it keep a log of all my IP addresses and your are right. seem sky recycle the IP addresses.

94.zz.zz.zz, Jul 18, 2012 10:21 am, OK
      94.zz.zz.zz Jul 17, 2012 1:26 pm, OK
      94.zz.zz.zz, Jul 16, 2012 1:43 pm, OK
      94.zz.zz.zz, Jul 14, 2012 10:53 pm, OK
      94.zz.zz.zz Jul 13, 2012 1:24 pm, OK
      176.xx.xx.xx Jul 10, 2012 2:47 pm, OK
      176.xx.xx.xx, Jul 9, 2012 10:13 pm, OK

had not noticed that the IP were repeating I only know when either I notice or getting an email tell me my dns settings have been updated

Page 33 of 42 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)