Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Like Tree28Likes

Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed

This is a discussion on Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Some people are saying over on the official forum that the fault might lie in the sky router itself - ...

mrplant is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Musselburgh
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: SkyHD AnyTime+
      Thanks

re: Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed

Some people are saying over on the official forum that the fault might lie in the sky router itself - some sort of cap present on a faulty batch.. time will tell..
      update: nope not that. People who have tested 'their own' different make fibre modems on the line get same results..
      Looks like it might be related to post above mine re. RADSL profiles..
      Last edited by mrplant; 09-05-12 at 12:16 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mrplant For This Useful Post:

Scubbie (09-05-12)

3. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

re: Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed

Somehow I wold find it hard to suspect the Sky Router when the issue is presenting across the forums of BT, TalkTalk, PlusNet and Sky.

It looks like a classic error in the installation process IMHO. Whether it is something that the BTO Engineer has forgotten or something new he/she hasn't been told to do is something that BTO needs to address.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Scottjames1uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01226
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

I am also having download speed issues. I know i only had it installed yesterday but i was getting 16mb then and now i am getting approx 25mb which isn't a great increase, i am also less than 100 metres from the green street box. I know the line has to settle but i would expect to see a better speed at first. Not sure what to do whether to call sky or not.

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Super Fibre
      Router: Ubiquiti Unifi
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks
      From going through the various posts over the last few weeks, the majority that have full speed, myself included, had it since the connection was installed no waiting for DLM to increase it like the ADSL products out there
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > RT-86U Merlin | 58301/12298

Fryingpan77 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shipley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      What I find confusing about the problems some people have had, is the sync speed in the router just for show or does it actually mean something?. A previous post on here was right when they said sky only go by the sync speed and don't see a problem if it is reading the correct figures for your line. I would be so annoyed if this had happened to me.

Sent from my ST18i
      With sky since 1997.

gxm
      gxm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

I'm also one of those experiencing similar download speed issues and I've tried pretty much everything I can think of to eliminate problems at my end. My router has been solidly synced at 40000 for over 10 days now and it's been over 14 days since installation and still no tangible improvement. In comparison with those who seem to get full speed straight away my pings are usually higher (30-45ms) but my upload speeds are always at the top end (1.8Mb/s).

I'll probably be calling back Sky later today as last time I was given the usual spin of waiting till the line has time to settle and that if you're syncing at 40000 then there is no problem with the connection.

However I have noticed recently that I do seem to be able to get close to downstream sync speeds if I try the SkyUser speedtester or the beta BT speedtester (for 24Mbps+). Everywhere else, including real world file downloads, speeds always seem to max out at 25Mbps. Has anyway with similar download speeds noticed the same or does anyone know the why these speedtesters may be different ?

David76 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjr View Post
      From going through the various posts over the last few weeks, the majority that have full speed, myself included, had it since the connection was installed no waiting for DLM to increase it like the ADSL products out there
      i've been full speed since day 1 with zero sign of dlm running, though my line supports far greater than 40mb so dlm shouldn't be an issue unless the line has a fault.

after 10 days of solid connection i decided to start playing with the router and sort my network out. i moved the lan ip of the router to 192.168.0.2... the result was sluggish router ui and speedtests between 20 & 23 Mbit and would see a very quick flash of "you need to connect your router to fibre modem..." on certain pages of the router ui.

it took a few factory resets and reboots to get my speed back up to ~38mb, though the router is sluggish as hell.

whilst certain users have ruled out the router being the cause of their problem, dont fully ignore that their could be a router / modem issue if you have made any changes to the router since install.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

after 10 days of solid connection i decided to start playing with the router and sort my network out. i moved the lan ip of the router to 192.168.0.2... the result was sluggish router ui and speedtests between 20 & 23 Mbit and would see a very quick flash of "you need to connect your router to fibre modem..." on certain pages of the router ui.
      Did you reboot the modem to pick up the new address?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

David76 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Did you reboot the modem to pick up the new address?
      yep. modem and router switched off after changes where made (moved cables also)... then modem switched on first, followed by router shortly after. took a few reboots to get the speedback, though sync on router never changes.

speedtests are back to normal now and throughput is great, though router takes around ~17secs for, most, pages to load after my changes!

epyon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NSDEN
      Router: SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Guess this explains the poor speeds

Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)