Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 28 of 42 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
    Like Tree28Likes

Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed

This is a discussion on Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by zerokoolin Well it seems that my powerline plugs are the cause of me losing out on 10Mb. ...

simon194 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDHAS
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub with Billion 8800NL in bridge mode
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

re: Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed

Quote Originally Posted by zerokoolin View Post
      Well it seems that my powerline plugs are the cause of me losing out on 10Mb. I basically plugged my laptop directly into my router and got 37Mb on speedtest.net but I am unsure why I am losing 10Mb as the plug that my computer is connected to syncs at 450Mb to the plug that is connected to the router.
      For security the powerline plugs encrypt the data that's transmitted between them and it's this on-the-fly encryption/decryption that causes the drop in throughput. With some of the cheap ones it can be as much as a 30% drop.

I use the Solwise AV500's and I generally get between 28 and 30 Mbps with speedtest.net compared to 37+ Mbps when connected directly to the router.

2. Advertisement
      zerokoolin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ipsley
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

re: Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed

Quote Originally Posted by simon194 View Post
      For security the powerline plugs encrypt the data that's transmitted between them and it's this on-the-fly encryption/decryption that causes the drop in throughput. With some of the cheap ones it can be as much as a 30% drop.

I use the Solwise AV500's and I generally get between 28 and 30 Mbps with speedtest.net compared to 37+ Mbps when connected directly to the router.
      Thanks for an explanation

Skycarp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Selby
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Well woke up this morning to my new upload speed ! I am now syncing at 39992 / 9996 {was 39992 / 2000 } Speed tests show an upload speed of 7.8 which i am more than happy with !
      HOWEVER as a "half speeder" i was hoping that the change may somehow effect my download speed which unfortunately it has not, I find that i am still getting speeds of approx 20 to 22 which are the same as before the upload increase.
      Still waiting for the fibre team to come back with a "fix".
      Anyone else on half speed noticed any difference since the upgrade ?

Alex20 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shrewsbury (WNSY)
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Still no increase in upload speed here ) :

Damo82 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: HD+ Litmited Ed
      Thanks

reporting an increase in my upload speed though the speed testers are not detecting it

Exchange:
      Thanks

sky has sent everyone and email saying that they will be do testing of the fibre internet in the area they are having problems. I would check your sky email to see if you gys have also received an email.

norfykev is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ivybridge
      Sky TV: Sky+ 1TB HD box
      Thanks

Hi,

I've read all 28 pages to date in this thread. I also read the other post about the new increased upload speeds. I have just checked and I am indeed getting the new uploads of about 8.5mbps now, even though my 2504N router still showed me synched at 39992/2000. However, after resetting both my modem and router they now show me synched at 39992/9996. That's the first time I've reset the BTO modem since it was inatalled on 1 May 2012.

I still only get around 18 to 24 mbps from most speedtest sites, although I have occasionally got just over 30 mbps. Like nearly all of the other half speeders I get my best results from the BT speedtest site. I've just run it and got 29.54 / 8.53 at BT.

I have not yet called Sky about this but I watch this post and others with interest. I'm on the IVYBRIDGE exchange, near Plymouth and the BTO green cabinet is visible from the end of my road, probably less than 100m from my house.

Skycarp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Selby
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Damo82 View Post
      sky has sent everyone and email saying that they will be do testing of the fibre internet in the area they are having problems. I would check your sky email to see if you gys have also received an email.
      Just got one ! Good to know that the problems that some of us are experiencing are being investigated. Lets all hope that something positive comes out of it all.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I had the increase to 10 meg on my upload but only getting 4 meg comething through

Exchange:
      Thanks

also what are people pings like mine are high in the 60 where as when I was on adsl I had 9-14 ms ping

Page 28 of 42 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)