Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Like Tree28Likes

Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed

This is a discussion on Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Basically, I got fobbed off.. I informed two people about this site and this thread but was told that speed ...

mrplant is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Musselburgh
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: SkyHD AnyTime+
      Thanks

re: Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed

Basically, I got fobbed off..
      I informed two people about this site and this thread but was told that speed varies over next 10 days and they can't raise a fault until then. Sky don't acknowledge any line speed tests other than what the sky router says.
      I've been with broadband since 2000 and have a good idea how it works..
      I told her I couldn't get more than 20megs which is around half but again a textbook reply as long as you are synced at 40megs there is no fault as speeds vary etc etc.
      not impressed as its such a discrepancy between real life obtainable speed and sync speed - to be its a cap somewhere.....

2. Advertisement
      Damo82 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: HD+ Litmited Ed
      Thanks

re: Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed

escalate the call then as you can point their suprivsor to this forum and sky own offical one where it also been reported. Be a polite problematic bugger and you get some where. Sky just told me that the a fault BTO side and they working on resolving it, I am getting daily updates will try and mention this when the phone back tomorrow.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Damo82 For This Useful Post:

mrplant (08-05-12)

Thanks

Based then on my line connection of 39992/2000 - what should I expect as a rough range and what speed test site is recommended - I currently use Speedtest.net

Moxey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: SkyQ Hub ER110
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2TB + Mini
      Thanks

you should get around 37 down and 1.7 up, most use speedtest.net for testing but try a few dif servers, the massy one in france is aparently 1 that doesnt get busy, atleast it didnt till everyone here started using it
      you can also use the speed tester hosted on this site, linked at top of page

Thanks

Sync: 39999, 2000

Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed-test.jpg

Interestingly - I get 22MB using speedtest.net and can't get anything faster no matter what I try - downloads - other speed test sites etc. However, the BT Speedtest shows 35MB. what gives here?
      http://www.speedtester.bt.com/
      Last edited by mrplant; 08-05-12 at 07:05 PM.

Fryingpan77 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shipley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Out of everyone who experienced a slow or capped speed rate when first installed, has anybody seen there speed increase to the 37/38mbps region?. When mine was first installed and I did my first speed test it was 36. It has never dropped bellow and has always been reliable. How much control do sky have over problems like this, or are they totally relient on BTO to sort these fibre problems out?

Sent from my ST18i
      With sky since 1997.

web_wizard is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Undercliffe (MYUND)
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrplant View Post
      Sync: 39999, 2000

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test.jpg 
Views:	416 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	3267

Interestingly - I get 22MB using speedtest.net and can't get anything faster no matter what I try - downloads - other speed test sites etc. However, the BT Speedtest shows 35MB. what gives here?
      Test Result
      I have EXACTLY the same issue as you mate. Same results. Only BT Speedtester shows higher. Nothing else gets remotely close to that speed at all. When you mention the fault to them, mention the throughput is not 40mb. Thats what I had to say to get them to listen to me. Don't get fobbed off by the 10 day thing because its rubbish. I have only had mine 7 days and reported it after 5 and BT coming tomorrow. Just need to get through to the right people.

web_wizard is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Undercliffe (MYUND)
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fryingpan77 View Post
      Out of everyone who experienced a slow or capped speed rate when first installed, has anybody seen there speed increase to the 37/38mbps region?. When mine was first installed and I did my first speed test it was 36. It has never dropped bellow and has always been reliable. How much control do sky have over problems like this, or are they totally relient on BTO to sort these fibre problems out?

Sent from my ST18i
      No, mine has stayed constantly at about 22-23mb and never gone above it apart from the BT Speedtester.

Mr Mot is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: CMCAN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Thanks
      When you do a speed test on speedtest.net does it gradually work its way up to a top speed and then stay constant or does it bounce around 2 figures?

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Fab Fibre (Sky network)
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Below is what I posted in a similar thread about "half-speed" over on the Sky Help Forum. It seems to be quite a common topic of discussion at the moment on other ISP forums. When you think about it, there are so many parts to the whole system that is Sky Fibre - from the modem at your house to the cabinet and the exchange and onto the core network, all the cabling and all the IT systems involved in controlling it - there are many points where a problem can occur.

"I've been doing some research to try and understand the possible causes of this problem.

What follows is a summary of what I have read elsewhere and I am assuming that it would equally apply to Sky's Fibre product as much as any other ISP's fibre product insofar as it runs on BTO's fibre services between the home and the street cabinet and onwards to the exchange where the connection is then handed over to Sky's network.

Could the cause of the problem be "the line profile set on the RDSLAM which is the system in the street cabinet that the modem connects with" has got set lower or is stuck lower (maybe due to noise or a line fault)?

As I understand it, "the RDSLAM profile is controlled by BTO DLM systems and adjusts automatically". Apparently the ISPs have no visibility (so cannot check if it's stuck or working correctly) and they have no way to reset it without raising a fault with BT and requesting an engineer site visit (but even this will not guarantee that the RDSLAM profile will be reset). Also noted that power cycling the modem will not clear a capped profile.

From looking around other ISP user forums, it doesn't seem to be a problem unique to Sky's fibre product. Similar reports on BT Infinity, TalkTalk and PlusNet forums too.

Anyway it will be interesting to know what the true cause of this problem is when it is eventually identified!"
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)