Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 18 of 42 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Like Tree28Likes

Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed

This is a discussion on Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; thanks for the reply, ive done that, no one is on channel 1, someone from sky told me about insider ...

stevoo19 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

re: Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed

thanks for the reply, ive done that, no one is on channel 1, someone from sky told me about insider so i am on channel 1 but still max 20mb, so im guessing i need to get a wireless n card, but i thought wireless g cards can handle 54 mb?

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks

re: Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed

Hi Scubbie, but when i download using wireless max speeds are still about 20mb so even if i don't do speed test using wireless my actual connection wireless is max 20mb odd speeds i understand wireless should be slower than wired but i didn't think it would be that much slower.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

but i thought wireless g cards can handle 54 mb?
      In theory, in practise you will be lucky to get half that.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Do you guys get slow speeds even when your doing speed tests with a wired connection? And do you think my wireless speeds would improve if i use a wireless n Card instead?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

I have a non-Sky router and the ability to connect at 300mbps to it with my Laptop. If I had a Fibre connection I would be able to benefit more from it.

I have just done a test on both the 2.4GHz & 5GHz channels and was able to copy a file from my NAS at a rate of ~12MB/s or 96mb/s (peak 15MB/s or 120mb/s). Windows Task Manager reported 40% usage. The WTM figure will be because it is measuring both directions.

Convertor used: Bit Calculator - Convert between bits/bytes/kilobits/kilobytes/megabits/megabytes/gigabits/gigabytes.

The 2.4GHz channels are busy in my area and the speed varied a little more than on the 5GHz channel.

This Laptop only has a 100mb Ethernet LAN Port, so my WiFi is faster.

If your computer is able benefit from connecting to the Sagem 2504N using a WiFi n adaptor which can connect at the full 144mbps, then most certainly any internal tranfers will benefit. So too will your access on the Internet when using the WiFi.

Having said all that, in practise I have found that I get more reliable speed tests from using the wired connection on my 20mb ADSL connection.

WiFi is vulnerable to interference from other devices both around your home and from your neighbours. Ethernet cable is less likely to be subjected to such interference, but could if your wiring runs near some electrical devices.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Damo82 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: HD+ Litmited Ed
      Thanks

removed due double post lol

Damo82 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: HD+ Litmited Ed
      Thanks

been give two other addresses (3 now in total) worth dropping a freindly email to

Fibreenquiries @ bskyb . com

Jeremy . darroch @ bskyb . com

Francis . tilley @ bskyb . com

phil123 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Scarborough - MYSCA
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I have a non-Sky router and the ability to connect at 300mbps to it with my Laptop. If I had a Fibre connection I would be able to benefit more from it.

I have just done a test on both the 2.4GHz & 5GHz channels and was able to copy a file from my NAS at a rate of ~12MB/s or 96mb/s (peak 15MB/s or 120mb/s). Windows Task Manager reported 40% usage. The WTM figure will be because it is measuring both directions.

Convertor used: Bit Calculator - Convert between bits/bytes/kilobits/kilobytes/megabits/megabytes/gigabits/gigabytes.

The 2.4GHz channels are busy in my area and the speed varied a little more than on the 5GHz channel.

This Laptop only has a 100mb Ethernet LAN Port, so my WiFi is faster.

If your computer is able benefit from connecting to the Sagem 2504N using a WiFi n adaptor which can connect at the full 144mbps, then most certainly any internal tranfers will benefit. So too will your access on the Internet when using the WiFi.

Having said all that, in practise I have found that I get more reliable speed tests from using the wired connection on my 20mb ADSL connection.

WiFi is vulnerable to interference from other devices both around your home and from your neighbours. Ethernet cable is less likely to be subjected to such interference, but could if your wiring runs near some electrical devices.
      Scubbie, can I ask a question about wireless N. I read somewhere that if you have a wireless N router, but have both wireless N and wireless G devices connecting to it then all devices will only connect using G. Is that correct and is there away round it?

Thanks in advance.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by phil123 View Post
      Scubbie, can I ask a question about wireless N. I read somewhere that if you have a wireless N router, but have both wireless N and wireless G devices connecting to it then all devices will only connect using G. Is that correct and is there away round it?
      As far as I can tell, it isn't true.

WiFi n has to work in conjunction with neighbouring WiFi g routers. If this doesn't happen then someone won't be able to use their router.

Remember though that many WiFi n adaptors supplied in Laptops and Netbooks work at up to 150mbps on a paired channel. When used on a single channel, they will only connect at up to 72mbps. The Sagem 2504N (and BT HomeHub v3) use a single channel at up to 144mbps.

For both routers you need an adaptor which can ideally work at 300mbps. I haven't seen any which specifically connect on a single channel only and support 144mbps.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

phil123 (08-06-12)

phil123 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Scarborough - MYSCA
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      As far as I can tell, it isn't true.

WiFi n has to work in conjunction with neighbouring WiFi g routers. If this doesn't happen then someone won't be able to use their router.

Remember though that many WiFi n adaptors supplied in Laptops and Netbooks work at up to 150mbps on a paired channel. When used on a single channel, they will only connect at up to 72mbps. The Sagem 2504N (and BT HomeHub v3) use a single channel at up to 144mbps.

For both routers you need an adaptor which can ideally work at 300mbps. I haven't seen any which specifically connect on a single channel only and support 144mbps.
      Thanks Scubbie. Sounds like using wireless has it's limitations when it comes to using it with faster connections then.

Page 18 of 42 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)