Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 17 of 42 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Like Tree28Likes

Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed

This is a discussion on Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by web_wizard No problem, You should be able to get 40mb as that is what your router is ...

Skycarp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Selby
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

re: Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed

Quote Originally Posted by web_wizard View Post
      No problem,

You should be able to get 40mb as that is what your router is sync'd at and I have known people who are further away than you get 38mb so distance shouldn't be a problem.

The fact that he couldn't get his JDSL tester to get a signal is interesting? I never had this problem with mine as it passed every test he threw at it. Also the house being a new build helped my cause a little I think!

Its also important to mention as well that the engineer himself is unable to reset the profile as his laptop software does not have anything on it to reset the profile for a vdsl line. He must ring his helpdesk to do this.
      I found that the JDSL situation VERY strange ! His OR "mate" that turned up with his JDSL, ALSO could not get his to work ! So that was 2 that would not work BUT 2 that worked on my line 20 mtrs away in the junction box across the road from my house. This 20 mtrs was replaced by them with 20 mtrs of new cable as they "thought" that there may be a fault in it . HOWEVER despite this still no JDSL readings were obtainable inside the house at the master socket.
      This is about the point that they both "gave up" and went !
      One more thing if you can please ? Was there anything in particular that you said to the Fibre team at sky that managed to get you to stage one of sorting it i.e.
      the open reach visit ?
      Cheers !!

2. Advertisement
      web_wizard is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Undercliffe (MYUND)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

re: Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed

Quote Originally Posted by Skycarp View Post
      I found that the JDSL situation VERY strange ! His OR "mate" that turned up with his JDSL, ALSO could not get his to work ! So that was 2 that would not work BUT 2 that worked on my line 20 mtrs away in the junction box across the road from my house. This 20 mtrs was replaced by them with 20 mtrs of new cable as they "thought" that there may be a fault in it . HOWEVER despite this still no JDSL readings were obtainable inside the house at the master socket.
      This is about the point that they both "gave up" and went !
      One more thing if you can please ? Was there anything in particular that you said to the Fibre team at sky that managed to get you to stage one of sorting it i.e.
      the open reach visit ?
      Cheers !!
      It is a very strange situation not getting a signal at your master socket. I hope you manage to get a resolution.

I spoke with the fibre team and explained to them that I had a throughput issue. Explained that only the bt speed tester was showing me as having 37mb but nothing else anywhere on the internet got remotely close. I then used the following as my examples:

BBC Iplayer
      Speedtest.net on a variety of servers
      thinkbroadband speed tester

And stated that they all never went above 23mb. I even did a netstat on my machine to prove that my computer was not using the bandwidth and I also downloaded one of the 1gb test files from think broadband at their request and the speed it was downloading at confirmed what I had been saying that there is a problem with my throughput.

Hope this helps!

Skycarp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Selby
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by web_wizard View Post
      It is a very strange situation not getting a signal at your master socket. I hope you manage to get a resolution.

I spoke with the fibre team and explained to them that I had a throughput issue. Explained that only the bt speed tester was showing me as having 37mb but nothing else anywhere on the internet got remotely close. I then used the following as my examples:

BBC Iplayer
      Speedtest.net on a variety of servers
      thinkbroadband speed tester

And stated that they all never went above 23mb. I even did a netstat on my machine to prove that my computer was not using the bandwidth and I also downloaded one of the 1gb test files from think broadband at their request and the speed it was downloading at confirmed what I had been saying that there is a problem with my throughput.

Hope this helps!
      Thanks !
      Just spent the last 30 mins on the phone doing all of their "standard" tests and checks only to be told that they would send me a new router out as they think that it may be that. Only speed test that the person i spoke too wanted to use and know about was the BT one which gives out a reading way above every other one on the net.
      Did do a file download though which came in at 1.9, and a netstat which was all ok. As i think that it was the sky persons "first day" she did say that she would get a more teccy person to phone me back to try and take the problem further.
      Fingers crossed that they do !
      Cheers

web_wizard is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Undercliffe (MYUND)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Thanks

Yeah the SKY router being sent out was tried with me. I still have it in it's Royal Mail bag

They will usually ring you back as this happened to me the first time this occurred. I was given the same spiel to begin with but the person who rang me back was much more thorough.

Damo82 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: HD+ Litmited Ed
      Thanks

Hi might be a good idea if we all email jeremy dot darroch at bskyb dot com complaining about sky lack customer service and and their inability to provide the service offered.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

There are people within Sky who watch forums such as this. They will be more than aware of the issue.

If anyone does write to Sky, please remember that a polite letter goes much further.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Damo82 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: HD+ Litmited Ed
      Thanks

yea you catch more flies with honey, just to give you an update been told the matter been passed bakc to sky bt can't find a fault

stevoo19 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hello, i am having a similar problem, i havent read all the posts so this may have been talked about already but if i do a test on the be speed test using a wired connection i get 37mb speeds but if i do it wireless i get 21 max, so i am definally getting max speed just not through wireless connection. I am using a Intel pro g wireless card has anyone tried using a N wireless card? and did it make any difference to the speed?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stevoo19 View Post
      Hello, i am having a similar problem, i havent read all the posts so this may have been talked about already but if i do a test on the be speed test using a wired connection i get 37mb speeds but if i do it wireless i get 21 max, so i am definally getting max speed just not through wireless connection. I am using a Intel pro g wireless card has anyone tried using a N wireless card? and did it make any difference to the speed?
      Your problem is completely different. If you do not have an N standard adapter, you should get one. You should also download and use Inssider, link below, and use it to find the best channel available in your area. Choose the channel with fewest users. Channel 13 is usually a good bet.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stevoo19 View Post
      Forget using WiFi to test your connection speed. There is too much opportunity for interference to slow you down.

Try all speed tests by using a wired connection only. Also when you have read though this thread you will find various link to different speed tests available on the Internet. Try the more reliable ones as sites such as speedtest.net get swamped and should only be used as a guide.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Page 17 of 42 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)