Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 16 of 42 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Like Tree28Likes

Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed

This is a discussion on Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; It didn't even get started really... Still back at half speed here... latest speed test 18-20megs approx. 40000/2000 sync. half ...

mrplant is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Musselburgh
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: SkyHD AnyTime+
      Thanks

re: Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed

It didn't even get started really...
      Still back at half speed here...
      latest speed test 18-20megs approx. 40000/2000 sync. half speed still..

2. Advertisement
      Paul1360 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llantrisant
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

re: Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed

Surprised that this is still happening
      iechyd da

Damo82 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: HD+ Litmited Ed
      Thanks

anyone any closer to resolving this????

Anhyone had any helpful "help" from sky?

terryf is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: retford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: Sky Q silver
      Thanks

Is this a problem in all areas and has anyone going on fibre, since the problem started got the speed quoted to them.

Damo82 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: HD+ Litmited Ed
      Thanks

one person who got bt to do a rdslam profile reset got back to full speed but trying to get sky/bt to do that is impossible, its hair pulling

web_wizard is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Undercliffe (MYUND)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Thanks

I now get my full speed as I managed to get my profile reset. But getting this to occur was difficult. I dare say that if I did not have helpful BTO engineers, I would still be having this problem.

If you can get the engineers to reset it, you might be ok. But I did say IF

Skycarp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Selby
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by web_wizard View Post
      I now get my full speed as I managed to get my profile reset. But getting this to occur was difficult. I dare say that if I did not have helpful BTO engineers, I would still be having this problem.

If you can get the engineers to reset it, you might be ok. But I did say IF
      Hi Web Wizard
      I feel that i have the same "half speed" issue as do many others. As you seem to have been successful in achieving a reset were many others have failed to achieve one ,have you any "tips" that you can pass on on how to best achieve a reset ?????????
      Looking at your speed just out of interest how far from the cabinet do you estimate that you are ? I am about 650 mts and just wondered how much drop in speed that this might actually give me.
      Cheers !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skycarp View Post
      Hi Web Wizard

I feel that i have the same "half speed" issue as do many others. As you seem to have been successful in achieving a reset were many others have failed to achieve one ,have you any "tips" that you can pass on on how to best achieve a reset ?????????
      Looking at your speed just out of interest how far from the cabinet do you estimate that you are ? I am about 650 mts and just wondered how much drop in speed that this might actually give me.
      Cheers !
      Hi Skycarp,

The process with which I managed to secure a profile reset was extremely long winded and the engineers that visited my property basically had to lie in order to even get the openreach helpdesk to listen.

Basically, what the BTO engineers did was ring their helpdesk and state they were attending a SKY broadband fault and the customer was experiencing extremely slow throughput speeds. They stated that the throughput speed was below 15mb and requested a profile reset. The Openreach helpdesk then performed the reset remotely and this kicked my line out and back on and the caps had been lifted.

The first time they attempted this though, the engineer told his helpdesk my actual throughput was 22mb which it was. The helpdesks' response was, this is more than satisfactory and does not warrant a reset and hung up on the engineer! So he lied on the second time round and was the only way he could get them to reset it. The procedure actually only take 5 mins but its getting the right engineer and they get the right person on the other end of the line.

My tips to anyone experiencing this would be:

1. Understand that SKY cannot do anything about this as they have no control over the profile of the line. Only Openreach can do this.
      2. When an engineer comes out, explain that your throughput speed is low. NOT connection speed. otherwise you will get fobbed off instantly as they will see your connection speed at 39999 and not care.
      3. Ensure the engineer runs all of the tests he can do to ensure your line is fine and free of noise.
      4. Ask him nicely to ring his help desk and mention to him to say that your throughput is actually less than 15mb and you fear some caps have been left on your profile. Can they reset it for you?

The above approach worked for me but it appears no one else has managed to do this yet. See how you get on and if you can persuade the engineer to make the call and let us know. Hope this helps

With regard to distance from my cabinet, I am less than 50m away and the BT guy said my max attainable rate was 154mb down and 37mb up and thats with a cabinet that has a fair few connections in it as well apparently.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to web_wizard For This Useful Post:

Skycarp (04-06-12)

Skycarp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Selby
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by web_wizard View Post
      Hi Skycarp,

The process with which I managed to secure a profile reset was extremely long winded and the engineers that visited my property basically had to lie in order to even get the openreach helpdesk to listen.

Basically, what the BTO engineers did was ring their helpdesk and state they were attending a SKY broadband fault and the customer was experiencing extremely slow throughput speeds. They stated that the throughput speed was below 15mb and requested a profile reset. The Openreach helpdesk then performed the reset remotely and this kicked my line out and back on and the caps had been lifted.

The first time they attempted this though, the engineer told his helpdesk my actual throughput was 22mb which it was. The helpdesks' response was, this is more than satisfactory and does not warrant a reset and hung up on the engineer! So he lied on the second time round and was the only way he could get them to reset it. The procedure actually only take 5 mins but its getting the right engineer and they get the right person on the other end of the line.

My tips to anyone experiencing this would be:

1. Understand that SKY cannot do anything about this as they have no control over the profile of the line. Only Openreach can do this.
      2. When an engineer comes out, explain that your throughput speed is low. NOT connection speed. otherwise you will get fobbed off instantly as they will see your connection speed at 39999 and not care.
      3. Ensure the engineer runs all of the tests he can do to ensure your line is fine and free of noise.
      4. Ask him nicely to ring his help desk and mention to him to say that your throughput is actually less than 15mb and you fear some caps have been left on your profile. Can they reset it for you?

The above approach worked for me but it appears no one else has managed to do this yet. See how you get on and if you can persuade the engineer to make the call and let us know. Hope this helps

With regard to distance from my cabinet, I am less than 50m away and the BT guy said my max attainable rate was 154mb down and 37mb up and thats with a cabinet that has a fair few connections in it as well apparently.
      Many many thanks for the info ! I am sure that the other users on here with the same problem would also echo this as well !!!!!!!!!!
      Like i said i am a lot further away from the cabinet than you BUT a line test with his JDSL at the junction box only 20 mtrs from my hose gave a 40/2 connection.I still fail to understand however { as did the OR guy} as to why he could not get his JDSL to give a reading of any sort from inside the property!
      Cheers ! and thanks again!

Thanks

No problem,

You should be able to get 40mb as that is what your router is sync'd at and I have known people who are further away than you get 38mb so distance shouldn't be a problem.

The fact that he couldn't get his JDSL tester to get a signal is interesting? I never had this problem with mine as it passed every test he threw at it. Also the house being a new build helped my cause a little I think!

Its also important to mention as well that the engineer himself is unable to reset the profile as his laptop software does not have anything on it to reset the profile for a vdsl line. He must ring his helpdesk to do this.

Page 16 of 42 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)