Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Like Tree28Likes

Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed

This is a discussion on Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have now noticed a significant increase in speed when downloading a linux distro. The other day, before the BTO ...

web_wizard is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Undercliffe (MYUND)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

re: Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed

I have now noticed a significant increase in speed when downloading a linux distro. The other day, before the BTO engineers attended, I could not download these files any quicker than 2.3mb/sec. After the profile has been reset, I now get 4.4mb/sec. The distro used was ubuntu: Desktop | Ubuntu

Think broadband still give rubbish results but Iplayer was using nearly all the bandwidth it could and I was get 3.8-4mb download so I am happy that I am now getting the speeds.

I think that the profile reset has definitely given me what I should have got from the beginning. I will report this to the SKY Fibre team and let them know that I have seen much better results as a result of a profile reset. Hopefully it will help you guys out
      speedyrite likes this.

2. Advertisement
      speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

re: Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed

web_wizard, did you find out what caused the banding/profile capping on the RDSLAM to occur which led to your speed restrictions? was it a line fault?
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

mrplant is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Musselburgh
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: SkyHD AnyTime+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by speedyrite View Post
      web_wizard, did you find out what caused the banding/profile capping on the RDSLAM to occur which led to your speed restrictions? was it a line fault?
      Very interesting...

Do the RDSLAM's need an engineer to visit your premises to reset or physically to visit them (wherever they are - the cabinets?) or can it be done remotely?
      I take it the profiling is set on a line by line basis?

I think mine is stuck on a 25MB cap.

Damo82 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: HD+ Litmited Ed
      Thanks

The sync speed the router shows you is not the sync speed of the fttc modem, the fttc modem was syncing at 39998 by the router said 39992. the BTO engineer could not find any problems and the matter is been raise to sky network team..... more delays

Thanks
      Blog Entries

mrplant, this is what I posted earlier in this thread:

As I understand it, "the RDSLAM profile is controlled by BTO DLM systems and adjusts automatically". Apparently the ISPs have no visibility (so cannot check if it's stuck or working correctly) and they have no way to reset it without raising a fault with BT and requesting an engineer site visit (but even this will not guarantee that the RDSLAM profile will be reset).

As you probably know, DLM runs at the RDSLAM in street cabinet (not at the exchange) and I read elsewhere that it can introduce banding or profile capping when it detects a line fault or something else that probably makes it think there's a line fault and it will eventually remove it when the line is back to normal, seems to be totally automated.

Paul1360 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llantrisant
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by David76 View Post
      what speed do you get on the link that BattFink posted?
      I just tried that site and was getting 9.6MB/s = 76.40Mb not far off, tried TBB again and got the same 2.3MB/s
      iechyd da

Thanks

No I didn't. They didn't actually know. Just to get BTO to reset it was a complete pain in the back side. There was definately no line fault though.

Quote Originally Posted by mrplant View Post
      Very interesting...

Do the RDSLAM's need an engineer to visit your premises to reset or physically to visit them (wherever they are - the cabinets?) or can it be done remotely?
      I take it the profiling is set on a line by line basis?

I think mine is stuck on a 25MB cap.
      The engineer got mine reset remotely as he had to ring the Openreach help desk. They then reset the profile remotely and it took about 10 minutes to take effect. It has been solid ever since.

Thanks
      Blog Entries
      I believe that the reset can only be requested by the BTO engineer when she/he is onsite as a result of a callout to the premises. They have to be there at your premises. Apparently even then whoever they call to request it can refuse to action it. (We really need to collect and verify all this info in one place)

Fryingpan77 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shipley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by web_wizard View Post
      No I didn't. They didn't actually know. Just to get BTO to reset it was a complete pain in the back side. There was definately no line fault though.

The engineer got mine reset remotely as he had to ring the Openreach help desk. They then reset the profile remotely and it took about 10 minutes to take effect. It has been solid ever since.
      What I find crazy about your case was when you said the BTO engineer had to lie about your speed before they reset your line. With you only getting half the quoted speed you would have been well within your rights to cancel the whole thing. It would be interesting to hear from BT infinity customers who had a similar problem if they had to go through all that bother to have their line reset. Would they throw customers away for what seems like a simple job.
      With sky since 1997.

Thanks

I believe that the reset can only be requested by the BTO engineer when she/he is onsite as a result of a callout to the premises. They have to be there at your premises. Apparently even then whoever they call to request it can refuse to action it. (We really need to collect and verify all this info in one place)
      Thats correct. I verified the procedure with SKY and the Openreach engineer. This can only be done by an engineer during a callout. It will only be actioned by Openreach if they deem the throughput 'unacceptable' but I could not gain an answer as to what acceptable was. I got the feeling that they deem 15mb as acceptable but this may depend on the operator who speaks to the engineer. This is definately something SKY cannot control.

Quote Originally Posted by Fryingpan77 View Post
      What I find crazy about your case was when you said the BTO engineer had to lie about your speed before they reset your line. With you only getting half the quoted speed you would have been well within your rights to cancel the whole thing. It would be interesting to hear from BT infinity customers who had a similar problem if they had to go through all that bother to have their line reset. Would they throw customers away for what seems like a simple job.
      Absolutely. I got that feeling as well. I reckon if I had been an infinity customer, I would have not had an issue with getting it reset there and then. What angered me more was the fact it is a very simple process from their side. The engineer needs to give all details about the job anyway and they literally hit reset on their screens. So I don't understand why there has to be conditions in place before they hit this button. Its not exactly time consuming. Once the operator on the other end of the phone agreed to do it, he reset it instantly and it came down my line 10 mins later.

Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)