Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 10 of 42 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Like Tree28Likes

Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed

This is a discussion on Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by web_wizard Max I can get is 2.2mb/sec Sorry to hear that. Is it 3 months before you ...

Fryingpan77 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shipley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

re: Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed

Quote Originally Posted by web_wizard View Post
      Max I can get is 2.2mb/sec
      Sorry to hear that. Is it 3 months before you have to decide if you want to keep it or not?
      With sky since 1997.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

re: Sky Admits fault with Sky and BT network resulting in slow connects @ 1/2 speed

Quote Originally Posted by Fryingpan77 View Post
      Sorry to hear that. Is it 3 months before you have to decide if you want to keep it or not?
      Under Ofcom rules, if you do not get the minimum connection speed estimated at the time of your order, then you are free to cancel your connection with no penalties within the first 3 months. However you should notify Sky of any issues and provide them suitable opportunities to rectify the potential fault.

There may be other reasons for a cancellation, but this is the one which is important for this thread.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

web_wizard is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Undercliffe (MYUND)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Thanks

I will give them every opportunity to solve the problem. Like I say, I have now managed to achieve speed test results on speedtest.net but cannot download anything higher than 2.3mb/s suggesting there is still something wrong.

I will await the new router and no doubt be ringing them when it doesn't work. To me, this is a problem with SKY not my equipment so I will see what they say.

I have been using the following site to test my throughput speed: thinkbroadband :: Download Test Files

I have chosen the 1gb file and it maxes out at 2.3-2.4mb/s never above this. What does everyone else get?
      Last edited by web_wizard; 13-05-12 at 08:28 PM.

Mystic Eddy is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Router: Apple AirPort ac Time Capsule
      Thanks

I will give them every opportunity to solve the problem. Like I say, I have now managed to achieve speed test results on speedtest.net but cannot download anything higher than 2.3mb/s suggesting there is still something wrong.

I will await the new router and no doubt be ringing them when it doesn't work. To me, this is a problem with SKY not my equipment so I will see what they say.

I have been using the following site to test my throughput speed: thinkbroadband :: Download Test Files

I have chosen the 1gb file and it maxes out at 2.3-2.4mb/s never above this. What does everyone else get?
      It gets to 4.5MB for me then fluctuates between 2-2.7MB. Seems like the server at their end is rather unstable! BBC iPlayer WMV downloads max out at a consistent 4.5MB for me.
      I Used To Have An Open Mind, But My Brain Kept Falling Out

Poppet25 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCFOM
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

You need to connect to a server with a 100 mbit connection to test it. BBC iPlayer sounds about the best as said above. A 10 mbit connection to a server would give you those low d/l speeds... Plus it has to worry about the other traffic.

Oh dear this is going to cost me money

Paul1360 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llantrisant
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

FYI,
      I think there maybe a problem with a lot of the test's from TBB, Just done a speed test and got 25/16Mbps, tried the 1GB test file D/L and was not able to to get above 2.3Mb and telling me around 9mins for download to complete.. After reading this thread it seems either BT/Sky has capped your speed or the router set up is wrong. With the OR modem chack to make sure you all have the type 3B as Type's 1B & 2B have all sorts of problems.
      iechyd da

David76 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

i have the same issues as you. 1gb file @ 2.3-2.4mb/s, slow speedtest at thinkbroadband, slow speedtest using skyuser but fullspeed at speedtest... BUT their is nothing wrong with my connection as i max out at 4.5MB/s if the speed is is their at the source!!!! if its not i dont get full speed, but it does not mean my connection is broke.

BattFink is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SDBRGSS
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 80/20
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I've never got a very good result from the thinkbroadband speed test files. I use mirror.nl.leaseweb.net | powered by LeaseWeb now for speed testing.

I almost always get 9.0MB/s throughput (aprox 75Mb/s) on that, never get more than 60 odd Mb/s on thinkbroadband
      Fryingpan77 and David76 like this.

web_wizard is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Undercliffe (MYUND)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Thanks

I wasn't just using the think broadband site. I am unable to get above that speed anywhere. Even Microsoft and I am assuming that they have the bandwidth....

David76 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

I wasn't just using the think broadband site. I am unable to get above that speed anywhere. Even Microsoft and I am assuming that they have the bandwidth....
      what speed do you get on the link that BattFink posted?

Quote Originally Posted by BAttfink

Page 10 of 42 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)