Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Like Tree12Likes

Truly, Truly, Gutted! A no Show for me!

This is a discussion on Truly, Truly, Gutted! A no Show for me! within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Did anyone else have a call from Sky after their appointment to check that everything was ok and you are ...

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Super Fibre
      Router: Ubiquiti Unifi
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Re: Truly, Truly, Gutted! A no Show for me!

Did anyone else have a call from Sky after their appointment to check that everything was ok and you are happy or did this only happen during the trial?
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > RT-86U Merlin | 58301/12298

2. Advertisement
      jayhab is offline Site Content Team
      Exchange: Connah's Quay
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: not any more!
      Thanks

I was at the back end of the trial, no follow up call for me!

Its_Me is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLIN - Sheffield, Intake
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I have had a no show by BTO today and to say I'm unhappy is a bit of an understatement!!!

I ordered Sky Fibre on 24th April and was given an install date of 4th May 8:00-13:00 - Great so far.

My new router arrived a couple of days later - still good.

4th May came & went - no engineer. Turns out my appointment had been rescheduled to 10th May, 8:00 - 13:00 and nn-one seemed to think it was important to inform the customer!!!!! - OK so these things happen. I've been a Sky customer since the late eighties & this is the first problem so I can forgive them for that.

I was up bright and early today, eagerly expecting the engineer but guess what, a no show again. I waited 'till half 3 then called Sky (trying my bestest to remain polite and freindly). They kept me on hold for almost 20 minutes before telling me they would have to call me back - apparently they couldnt get through to BTO (well they are only a telco after all!). To be fair Sky kept trying and called me back about 45 mins later. What they told me next made me "incasdescent with rage". Apparently BTO have told them that they arrived at my house at 8:57 this morning and there was no-one in. Strange that - because at that time, my youngest son was eating his breakfast, my partner was getting ready for work and I was doing a repair in the hallway - 2 1/2 feet away from the front door!!!!!!!!!!

I have now been advised by that they are satisfied that BTO are telling the truth and I will have to pay 150 for the missed appointment and if I still want the service there will be a 2 to 3 week lead time. In addition to this they cant make me a new aapointment at the moment because they cant even create new bookings within 2 working days of a missed install so I have got to call them on Monday.

Trouble is from Monday i'm working away for six weeks so there wont be anyone able to wait for them to turn up "at their convenience" until the end of June - I've already lost around 300 in earnings due to having to turn work down on 2 separate days.

Another thing I find strange though is that, as I understand, before coming to the house the engineer should have gone to the cabinet and connected my line - in the process disconnecting my ADSL as I beleive ADSL and VDSL cant exist on the same line. But my broadband still works & has done all day!

Would I be eligible for a nomination for the weeks worst c*ckup / poorest customer service award???

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Contact Ofcom and see what help they can provide.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

AdamBrunt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Godalming (THGG)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Well - the time seems to have flown by since the BTO no show 17 days ago ... I am now down to "2 more sleeps"

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quick! Pop out to your local corner-shop and buy 50 cans of Red Bull!

If you drink them all between now and tomorrow you can reduce that by one sleep.
      Scottjames1uk likes this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

jkhl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Netgear Nighthawk R7000
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
      Well - the time seems to have flown by since the BTO no show 17 days ago ... I am now down to "2 more sleeps"
      Lucky devil! My no-show was on 14th of May, having placed the order 27th of April....still waiting for sky to do something about it. Phoned them twice, they can't tell me why it didn't happen, and they can't do anything to find out why or arrange a new appointment until openreach send them a message. I was basically told to stop phoning them and they'd phone me when they had an update. Really poor.

AdamBrunt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Godalming (THGG)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

BT engineer been and gone - it was so early I must have been the first on the list

His 'kit' says I can get the full 40/2, and the Sky router agrees with sync speeds of 39999 down and 1997 up, however none of the speedtests done so far (@ Speedtest.net) have gone above 25Mbp/s.

The first, dumb, question I have is ... does the sync speed on the router take my distance from the cabinet into account ? Or would the sync speed be the same regardless of how far the cabinet was ?

The BT engineer said he couldn't convert the externsion (by the PC) into the master socket as there were 2 extensions in the house wired in such a way as to make it impossible. So, my current setup is:

master socket -> BT modem -> cat 6e cable -> 200mb homeplugs -> cat 6e cable -> sky router (port 1) > cat 6e cable -> 1gb switch > cat 6e cable -> PC

So ... is my internal setup (above) causing the 'slow' speed test or is 25Mbps consistent with a modem which is at least 800m away from the cabinet ?
      Last edited by AdamBrunt; 23-05-12 at 03:22 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

The first, dumb, question I have is ... does the sync speed on the router take my distance from the cabinet into account ? Or would the sync speed be the same regardless of how far the cabinet was ?
      The sync speed depends on the length of the copper wire and its condition.

Your set up looks fine, but just to be sure the homeplugs are not causing a problem, is it possible to plug your router directly into the modem and run a speed check from there. It is possible, like many others, that you are suffering from having a capped profile, but connecting the router directly would be the only way to rule this out/in.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

I'd reckon the homeplugs would be the problem

Can you get a laptop + router hooked directly up to the BT modem to rule them out?

I had 200Mbit homeplugs and in reality got 30mbit out of them.

I ditched them in the end when I worked out I could very easily run CAT5 for everything (hello Gbit backbone!)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast