Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Sky Fibre broadband no broadband connection detected

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre broadband no broadband connection detected within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I had the Fibre service installed last Friday and so far I've had no Internet access at all since. Sky ...

Necula is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hemel Hempstead
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sky Fibre broadband no broadband connection detected

I had the Fibre service installed last Friday and so far I've had no Internet access at all since. Sky have not been the most helpful so I'm wondering if anybody on here has any ideas.The BT Openreach engineer phoned me and told that he was working in the cabinet and would come to my property and change the faceplate over. I now have the "new" faceplate with a standard telephone socket and one square socket above which is what he plugged the OR modem into. My modem, which is the Huwaei version, has solid green lights on Powe and DSL. I then connected the Sky supplied new router with the white cable into LAN1 and into the first yellow socket on the router and powered the router on. The modem now has a solid green light on LAN1 and the router recognises the connection by illuminating the 1. However I have no @ light on at all. When we connected the PC (wired) and went to the Internet the sky router page came up and said "No broadband connection detected". Launching the connection status window reports "ADSL down". Having phoned Sky I was told they were waiting for OR to close the call as completed before they would activate the service. So the engineer closed the call and left, after putting his test meter on the line and confirming that it was working at 20Meg. He also tried swapping the OR modem over but the same result.After having a play with the settings if I change the WAN settings from Auto to WANoE I now get an amber @ light on the modem. When I launch the connection status window it now says "Connecting" but never seems to make the connection. On the main status page it shows the modem as connected but does not have any downstream or upstream speeds or any external IP addresses. I phoned Sky again and was told the service had been enabled and there were no line problems. The agent said it was a faulty router and they would send me another one out. Yesterday I had the replacement router arrive and I have exactly the same scenario. No @ light with it set to auto, and an amber @ light when set to WANoE. I phoned last night but the fibre team were closed by then.I was never convinced it was the router first time and the fact a second router does exactly the same still makes me suspicous. Has anybody else had this issue or give me any ideas on where to direct Sky when I make another phone call when I get home from work tonight?Many thanks.

2. Advertisement
      Paul1360 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llantrisant
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: Sky Fibre broadband no broadband connection detected

Are you saying the OR Eng. left and didn't have you do a speed test while he was present???
      iechyd da

Necula is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hemel Hempstead
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

He put his test meter on the line and confirmed that the line was connected and reporting a 20Meg speed, but we never actually did a speedtest with a PC as the router would not recognise the modem connection.

Paul1360 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llantrisant
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Then I'm sorry he was wrong, He should only have gone when he knew that your system was up and running, and that was easy to do as they do carry HH3 in the vans and so he could have used that to make sure it was sky's router problem or not, At the moment you have no idea why you have not got any BB, Alas where you go from here I don't know as BT will tryto say that you have a connection to your master socket and so the problem is internal and you will say it's not, pass on what Sky will say. Make sure that your OR modem is Type 3B and if it is you can rule that out as being faulty, but if it's 1B or 2B then all bets would be that as your problem.
      iechyd da

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Disconnect your router from the Modem, leave it powered on and push a biro point into the reset hole on the rear, hold it there for at least 10 secs. Plug the modem cable into port #1 on the router, leave for a minute then try to connect.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

web_wizard is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Undercliffe (MYUND)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Thanks

Mine did this to begin with. Suggestion from isitme is what I did at the time and it was fine

Moxey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Redditch
      Router: SkyQ Hub ER110
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2TB + Mini
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul1360 View Post
      Then I'm sorry he was wrong, He should only have gone when he knew that your system was up and running, and that was easy to do as they do carry HH3 in the vans and so he could have used that to make sure it was sky's router problem or not, At the moment you have no idea why you have not got any BB, Alas where you go from here I don't know as BT will tryto say that you have a connection to your master socket and so the problem is internal and you will say it's not, pass on what Sky will say. Make sure that your OR modem is Type 3B and if it is you can rule that out as being faulty, but if it's 1B or 2B then all bets would be that as your problem.
      iechyd da
      BTO will only connect the router and make sure your PC can use the internet properly if its a managed install, bt retail may use managed install as standard for infinity but with Sky its an optional extra you can pay for, standard install stops at BTO installing the modem and checking that its connecting to the line ok, any problems past that you have to see Sky about.

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

The BTO guy who did my installation was very good. He phoned me from the cabinet to tell me he was doing the business and would be with me in 10 minutes. ADSL connection went off shortly after. He turned up at the house. (So he knew my phone number - how else would he know which cabinet to go to? - and he knew the address without asking me).

There's no power near the master socket, anyway I wanted the modem and router in the adjacent "data centre". He had a look and said "No problem, you need the data extension kit" - he changed the faceplate on the master socket and ran some cable (Cat5 twisted pair) from the master socket to the modem (which he wall mounted). "Two sugars?" said I.

He knew it was an install for Sky - seemed happy enough to be doing a non-BT Infinity job, had just come from a PlusNet installation - and had previously done a Sky installation in a nearby town (which I deduce may have been during the trial).

Tested the line with his meter, checked it was connected and told me the readings. Although this was not a managed installation as far as I was concerned, he stayed while I connected the router and got online and we did a quick speedtest from my laptop (I got the impression this was his standard practice). And then he was gone...
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Moxey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Redditch
      Router: SkyQ Hub ER110
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2TB + Mini
      Thanks

I guess there are friendly ones who go above and beyond and stick to a set routine for all installs but others will do the bare minimum which if its not booked as a managed install is just fit and connect the modem then leave, its luck of the draw which type of engineer you get i supose.

With your data extension cable, did it need to route through a hole in the wall to get into your "data centre" and if so had you pre-prepared a hole or was the engineer happy to sort this, tho again i guess this would be down to which type of engineer you get at the time aye.

any pics you could provide of the fitted data cable would be greatly received too

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Moxey View Post
      I guess there are friendly ones who go above and beyond and stick to a set routine for all installs but others will do the bare minimum which if its not booked as a managed install is just fit and connect the modem then leave, its luck of the draw which type of engineer you get i supose.

With your data extension cable, did it need to route through a hole in the wall to get into your "data centre" and if so had you pre-prepared a hole or was the engineer happy to sort this, tho again i guess this would be down to which type of engineer you get at the time aye.

any pics you could provide of the fitted data cable would be greatly received too
      Agreed, complete luck of the draw as to how helpful the engineer will be. Lucky for me this guy was quite chatty and friendly and accommodating.

The "DEK" is stapled neatly to the skirting board in both rooms and runs beneath a removable threshold strip and through some pre-existing grooves under the door frame to get between the rooms. It partly replaced a phone extension cable from the master socket to an extension socket in the room where all the kit is, and he removed it as part of the job (I was going to do it after he'd gone). I'll try and put a couple of pics up at the weekend.
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to speedyrite For This Useful Post:

Moxey (04-05-12)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast