Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

What should open reach have done during the install??

This is a discussion on What should open reach have done during the install?? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, just had fibre installed today and want to know what the BT Openreach should have done/been willing to do. ...

Damo82 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: HD+ Litmited Ed
      Thanks

What should open reach have done during the install??

Hi, just had fibre installed today and want to know what the BT Openreach should have done/been willing to do.

1)I request for the master socket to be moved a few feet, this would have required laying new cable from the junction box in the study to the hall way about 4 metre.

2)request for the bt modem to be installed in the hallway and then an Ethernet extension to the cupboard where there was another power socket and where I wanted the sky router and my main router to be. Or a VDSL extension so I could have the open reach modem in the cupboard as well Now I thought the were required to install up to 25 metre extension when requested ?

2. Advertisement
      Splont is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: What should open reach have done during the install??

I had mine installed yesterday. I mentioned to him that I had been having a few problems with my connection in the last few weeks and if he could do a few checks. He said words to effect of 'I'm just here to installed the modem, not line check or anything else'.

I got the impression if it was an install of a BT service he would have done extra but he just seemed to want to get in and out, he was there all of 10 minutes (didn't even need to do the socket as BT replaced it last year when I had other issues).

So perhaps it is just who you get and if they are helpful or not. Or perhaps BT have told them to stop wasting time in non BT subscribers houses!!
      Scubbie likes this.

Paul1360 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llantrisant
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Thanks

OR Eng. would have spent time at the cab getting it ready to go, then install a new Fibre face plate and then plugged in his gear and carry out checks to make sure everything from the exchange to the socket was ok, If there was a line fault present he would have picked that up and sorted it, So Splont maybe your problem was internal. Next he should ask where you wanted the equipment and make that was ok, so if the master socket needed moving he will do that, he also has a 30m cable that can be used if the Router was not near the modem. That's the standard install anything else you have to pay for. No matter who your ISP is BT Plus Net Sky Talk Talk ADSL24 it's all the same.
      iechyd da

Newport258 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LLANRUMNEY
      Thanks

OR Eng just turned up, put faceplate on, plugged in OR modem and sky router, checked green lights were on and left!

Did not use his tester at all.

Should he of done that to complete the order? I know with new PSTN they have to do a line check before leaving.

Thanks

Yes he should have carried out test's before plugging in modem et al, As this will tell him what speed your line can carry and set the IP Profile to suit.
      Did he ask you to do a speed test before he left????.
      This is sounding very odd indeed, maybe the Mod's can find out from Sky what should happen at the install and let you all know in the event that the Eng. is not doing what he should.
      iechyd da

Paul2003 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leamington Spa
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Thanks
      When engineer did mine he left some sort of equipment plugged into my master socket while he went to fibre cabinet, he also ran cable from master socket (cable comes out underneath master socket) around door frame, along skirting board round the room to where I wanted modem and router which is near TV.Modems on glass shelf next to my Sky+HD box he assured me it won't overheat he said he could wall mount it if I wanted,routers in glass shelf below next to 360. Checked speed with his gadget plugged into master socket and he was gone.

vwbottom is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Greenford
      Router: SR102
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul1360 View Post
      OR Eng. would have spent time at the cab getting it ready to go, then install a new Fibre face plate and then plugged in his gear and carry out checks to make sure everything from the exchange to the socket was ok, If there was a line fault present he would have picked that up and sorted it, So Splont maybe your problem was internal. Next he should ask where you wanted the equipment and make that was ok, so if the master socket needed moving he will do that, he also has a 30m cable that can be used if the Router was not near the modem. That's the standard install anything else you have to pay for. No matter who your ISP is BT Plus Net Sky Talk Talk ADSL24 it's all the same.
      iechyd da
      I disagree with the bt engineer doing enough or any line checks, maybe a good OR engineer will but the one I had clearly didn't as I have a engineer coming next week as my line has errors and I've had problems since install. I suppose its lucky if you get a decent bt guy, much like buying milk from the corner shop, sometimes its off.

Thanks

vwbottom,
      yes correct it does depend on the OR Eng but he should do at no extra cost like he did for Paul2003, that's the way a standard install should be. Ok I know on a lot of forums they have been people asking the same question and have been told the same about standard installs and it's not what has happened and so another OR Eng has had to be sent out, which cost BT money and they don't like that. My standard install over a year ago went as it should have apart from 1 think, I already had a longer Cat cable and we used that instead of the 1 he had with him after he checked it was ok, it just would have been a pain to pull it out and put a new 1 instead,
      iechyd da

Splont is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Seems I got a lazy OR engineer. So far so good with my connection so he may have got away with it.

When I had my issues last year I had about 4 OR engineers visit at various points, seemed a 50/50 split between being really helpful and doing the bare minimum.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I thought the were required to install up to 25 metre extension when requested ?
      Book em Damo!
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast