Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree1Likes

What should open reach have done during the install??

This is a discussion on What should open reach have done during the install?? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; As a part of the installation, all BTO Engineers are required to check that the BTO Modem and the line ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Re: What should open reach have done during the install??

As a part of the installation, all BTO Engineers are required to check that the BTO Modem and the line it connects to will be adequate to support an FTTC connection.

As a part of this process he should also be prepared to move the Master Socket in some cases or provide a long VDSL cable to connect the BTO Modem to the Master Socket. The length of cable will not exceed 30m.

As each home in different, there will be lots of different parameters, such a walls (internal & external), underground cables, existing internal extensions, power points and time constraints.

Unless you pay the extra fee to have someone connect your router to the BTO Modem, then the only work that you should expect is the connection of the BTO Modem. Having said this, it may be possible for the BTO Engineer to supply a length of Cat 5e Ethernet cable for you to use to connect the Modem to the router.

Much of this information has been gained for the Fibre FAQ and those who have had FTTC installations.

Despite asking for some information from Sky, they have been reluctant to respond. I have sent further emails but have so far not heard back from them. The ball is in their court to answer now.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

2. Advertisement
      follybridgeinn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blackwood
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: What should open reach have done during the install??

Yippee.......Just had mine installed...

The engineer rang whilst at the cab and said he would be here in 10 mins...... he arrived bought all his equipment in, first question was where was the master socket...he looked at it an changed the faceplate, then asked if i would like an extension anywhere, i said yes on the other side of the room. No questions asked he just did it, 1 hour later all done and as he was leaving he asked who my provider was, so it seems he did not know or even care which supplier he was installing it for.. LoL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12