Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Like Tree3Likes

Sky Fibre Speeds and TCP Optimisation

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre Speeds and TCP Optimisation within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by speedyrite Re the folks who appear to have a capped speed on SFU , did the BTO ...

Newport258 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LLANRUMNEY
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Fibre Speeds and TCP Optimisation

Quote Originally Posted by speedyrite View Post
      Re the folks who appear to have a capped speed on SFU, did the BTO engineer complete all the tests using the electronic gizmo connected to the line?

I'm wondering if there is some connection between BTO engineer doing/not doing these tests before leaving the premises and the customer ending up with a satisfactory/unsatisfactory connection speed?

The BTO Engineer that did my install, arrived, changed faceplate, plugged in BTO modem and Sky router, checked for green LED's then off he went!!

The line syncs at 39996 and 2000 but i am getting max wired downloads from usenet of 25Mbit

I am wondering if once they run their test meter does it automatically remove the cap?

10 day period is up on Wednesday so will be calling fibre team if it does not improve

2. Advertisement
      speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Newport258 View Post
      I am wondering if once they run their test meter does it automatically remove the cap?
      Yes I have a feeling that it's not just a meter to test the line speed and that completion of certain tests is an important part of the installation process. No way of knowing without quizzing a friendly BTO engineer!
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

stoke2010 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I am having the same problem modem sync's at DownStream Connection Speed 39992 kbps and up at UpStream Connection Speed 2000 kbps. I only seem to get around 25Mbit down on speed tests to massey. This has been like this since the 27th April. The engineer did ring before hand and told me there would be a drop in service on my broadband which there was and he would be with me in 10 mins. On arrival he did the faceplate exchange and proceeded to do the line check with his gizmo which came back as 40000 down and 2000 up with a maximum of 75000 down, cannot remember the up speed but was really good. He then did a line test from his mobile phone and the land line and asked if all extensions where ok which they where. We then did a speed test from the Ethernet on the laptop which cam back at the speeds 0f 25000 down. He then said give it around 10 days for it settle.

1: sync at 39998 down 2000 up
      2: 25000 Kbps down 1800 Kbps up
      3: PC Windows 7 X64 Upto date drivers safe mode test done also
      4: wired connection to sky router Sagem
      5: Amd 6 core 16gb ram 1Gbps Network card. Cat5e cable.
      6: no optimisation
      7: STAFFORD exchange
      8: Estimated 40 from sky upto 75 on bt tester when available
      9: Modem is the ECI
      10: All usual tests done from this forum safe mode direct connection to router etc

Not contacted sky as yet.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Ah well my theory is probably wrong then! It was based on one or two people saying that the BTO engineer had literally changed the faceplate, plugged everything in and booted it up but had not done any tests using the gizmo. Must be some other reason for this problem then...

Paul1360 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llantrisant
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

No matter who your ISP is all Fibre should be setup,installed and tested the same way. OR eng. will ring you from the Dslam cab to tell you you are going to lose your connection and when he has finished at the cab will be with you soon. When he arrives show him where things are and talk about any changes he can carry out if needed. He will change your faceplate and then plug in his test gear and carry out a number of test's, at this time you are able to see your Line Atten, Noise and the max speed your line can carry. Once these test's are done he will then plug in OR modem and then make a phone call to set your IP Profiles, (have tried always to obtain this number without joy) then connect your router and then wait for you to get your PC up and running, Then he will have carry out a speed test and if that test is ok and you are both happy with the result's that's him finished. If by any chance there is a problem then he should stay to sort this out and make sure it's not in the cab, line or the gear he just installed, If it's a PC problem then he will not do anything. Now that is what a Standard Install is, any change or whatever from that is a no no.
      iechyd da

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Agreed and that is what I experienced with my SFU installation, but (from reading other peoples' installation experiences) some do not seem to have had the same service.

Paul1360 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llantrisant
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

speedyrite,
      I know and that is worrying, and not fair on the end user and needs to sorted out ASAP, Why OR Eng have started to do this I've no idea as I bet they are getting paid to carry out the installation by the other ISPs. Sky should look into to this.
      iechyd da

Thanks
      Blog Entries

True. I expect it's the same as in all walks of life - some people are good at the job, some people are less good at it, some people are conscientious and want to do a good job, some people are not that bothered. It's the luck of the draw as to who you get and how good they are etc.

As to which ISP the job is being done on behalf of by BTO, that shouldn't influence what sort of job they do and I'm sure in the majority of cases it doesn't. But I'm guessing there are some jobs getting done "too quickly". Probably something to do with the surge in demand for installations now that the cost of FTTC is falling to more affordable levels.

vwbottom is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Greenford
      Router: SR102
      Thanks

My OR install was as follows. Engineer rang me and told me line would be cutoff, he arrived at my flat, he asked where the master socket was, he changed the master socket, there was no additional wiring to be changed, he plugged in the modem and then told me il get a solid 40 connection as the light on the OR MODEM was solid. He then left. I didn't see him use his gizzmo in the socket or ring about ip profile suffice to say my connection isn't working properly and keeps dropping bandwidth on the downstream. Hopefully the OR engineer I get tuesday will finish the job the first one started. Sky have been very helpful however.

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Super Fibre
      Router: Ubiquiti Unifi
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

my install was slightly different.

1. engineer knocked on door and said I am going to lose my phone line for 20 mins while he goes to the cab.
      2. after the cab work he installed new faceplate and reconnected my extensions that I disconnected.
      3. connected the BTO modem and waited for it to connect.
      4. waited for me to connect upto the Sky router (he didn't know it was a Sky install) and perform a speed test via speedtest.net
      5. said that was a good result (37.37Mb/s) then left

I didn't see him connect anything to the faceplate but I was in the kitchen making him a cup of tea and he never made a phone call
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > RT-86U Merlin | 58301/12298

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast