Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

fibre confusion

This is a discussion on fibre confusion within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; bt have been installing cabs in my town for a few weeks now, mine is at the top of the ...

lee2010 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: billion 7800n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

fibre confusion

bt have been installing cabs in my town for a few weeks now, mine is at the top of the road.

i have just checked the infinity website (always said not available or coming soon cant remember) today it shows my estimated download of 32 down and 5 up with a going live day of 30th june.

great only 30 days to go before switch on and wait for sky to sort them selfs out (systems etc) and id be ready to upgrade.

i also put my mates postcode into the infinity checker, his cab is slightly closer to his house but not much ffuther then the disatnce to my cab from my house.

the checker for him said 55 down and 17 up, but the most interesting bit is that he can order it now!

why would bt only switch his area of the town on and not mine, we live less then a mile apart! and why are his speed estimates so much higher then mine? i just cant belive that bt would switch some of the town on before the fibre install was complete - im furiious lol.

now back to skys fibre.

when my cab is eventually connected, a) theres not a hope in hells chance im going with 40 down and 2 up from sky, im getting 1.1 up now (with sky unlimited) the 40 down is fine but 2 up? are they having a laugh?

now for there 80 down 20 up, for me 30 quid is too much so i wont be going to this service (i can afford it but i dont think its good value so will not give them my money) and if i can only get a little over 30 down and 5 up there is no point anyway.

for me i need sky to do 40 down 10 up, i will upgrade in a flash, but the current 2 fibre packages they have - well they can keep them because they are of no interest to me.

i also hope the infinity website is really underestimating the fibre speeds my postcode will be getting.

2. Advertisement
      nijohc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Re: fibre confusion

There's a rumour that Sky will be offering 40/10 sometime this week and the BT speed estimates tend to be on the conservative side, many people have received more than expected although this is not always the case.

Shonk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus RT-AC88U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Im curious if they under estimate it by much
      a family member can get VDSL2 and bt estimate 22mbit

the cab isnt that far away

Ipster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

I know 3 people who have had BT Infinity installed and they get between 10-20m more than they were estimated.

Exchange:
      Thanks

well lets hope that they are underestimating for a reason, anyone heard of bt switching on half a town before? before the full town is fibre ready? like i say i find this very strange that some of the town would be live where the rest is not.

Mystic Eddy is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Apple AirPort ac Time Capsule
      Thanks

There's instances on this forum where people have reported cabs going live before others, so it's not unheard of. All the work will be done at the exchange to accept the fibre feeds, it normally is down to power connections at the cabs or engineer avaliability for hooking the PCP and FTTC together.
      I Used To Have An Open Mind, But My Brain Kept Falling Out

simon194 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDHAS
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub with Billion 8800NL in bridge mode
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lee2010 View Post
      well lets hope that they are underestimating for a reason, anyone heard of bt switching on half a town before? before the full town is fibre ready? like i say i find this very strange that some of the town would be live where the rest is not.
      They are underestimating to account for crosstalk which will become an issue as more people get connected to fibre.

My area has just gone to "Accepting Orders" and there only a handful of areas that you can actually order fibre and the cabinet connected to the PCP my line is connected to only had the DSLAM etc installed a week ago and is still not been powered up. The other exchange that covers about 10% of the town went live 4 weeks ago with only 7 of the 14 cabinets actually live, 3 of the remaining 7 cabinets are still waiting to have the electricity connected.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

well lets hope that they are underestimating for a reason,
      Because of the new Ofcom rules, they have to give you the speed that you are likely to get, whilst signing up, so you can leave if you don't within a certain time period after connection.

This way, if you get higher you are more likely to be happier, then getting 10 meg below for example. Shrewd, but people fall for it.

iirc they can only advertise the highest speed that over 10% of their customers can actually get.

Hence why most speeds have either been revised lower or removed from ISP websites.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Ipster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Also BTO are offering free cancellation and regrade to adsl if a customer does not reach the speeds quoted at the time of ordering.

Exchange:
      Thanks

i suppose as my postcode has not went live /been connected, that they have not been able to test my postcode yet, so they themselfs dont know what the final speeds will be, so at the minute like you say they are hopefuly underestimating by a lot

lets hope i can get simililar to my mate, who is at other end of town and can get 55+meg.

i have also noticed lots of fibre cabs not been insatlled exactly in the same location as the existing cabs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast