Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

fibre confusion

This is a discussion on fibre confusion within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by lee2010 well lets hope that they are underestimating for a reason, anyone heard of bt switching on ...

Moxey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: SkyQ Hub ER110
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2TB + Mini
      Thanks

Re: fibre confusion

Quote Originally Posted by lee2010 View Post
      well lets hope that they are underestimating for a reason, anyone heard of bt switching on half a town before? before the full town is fibre ready? like i say i find this very strange that some of the town would be live where the rest is not.
      This is the normal procedure for the FTTC rollout with availability enabled on a cab by cab basis as they get connected and powered up, the exchanges official status of 'now accepting orders' happens after the first handfull of cabs are live so you can find it possible to place an order in a certain area even before the exchange gets announced as taking orders but other areas may still not be able to place orders untill weeks after.

2. Advertisement
      deafxlistener is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCROSS
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ipster View Post
      I know 3 people who have had BT Infinity installed and they get between 10-20m more than they were estimated.
      I hope that happens to me on friday. only getting quoted 27Mb/s down so the extra would be very nice. Even though 27Mb/s is 18 x's the 1.5 i currently get on SBU.

deafxlistener is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCROSS
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lee2010 View Post
      well lets hope that they are underestimating for a reason, anyone heard of bt switching on half a town before? before the full town is fibre ready? like i say i find this very strange that some of the town would be live where the rest is not.
      I think there also trying to get the people with the worst affescted BB speeds sorted first. That could mean that with only 2/3rds of the UK sorted with fibre by 2014 half of some towns won't be completed until after this date. Luckily i live in Lancashire where the county council has put in 62.5Million so that 97% of the county is fibre ready for 2014.

Will OR use lancashire in there total 2/3rds calculation for 2014? this could knock off a few places to be ready by then. Lancashire isn't the biggest county, but it isn't the smallest either so would make an impact on overall figures.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Parts of Wales, Lancashire and Cornwall are all being pushed forward. Northern Ireland has almost 100% coverage already.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Moxey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: SkyQ Hub ER110
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2TB + Mini
      Thanks

Ofcause the other thing i forgot to point out is that if the other person is on the other side of town to you then they may not even be on the same exchange as you, my town is only a smallish town but still has 3 exchanges, (WMHX) was finished in March, (WMIPS) is currently being done with some limited availability so far but no official status yet of being live and my exchange (WMRJ) typically being the last of the 3 to be done and still waiting for the fiber cabs to start being installed although the notices for some of the cab work is now showing on the roadworks website so hopefully not too much longer to wait for me

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12