Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree3Likes
    • 1 Post By reddwarfcrew
    • 1 Post By nijohc
    • 1 Post By Moxey

Find your cabinet here

This is a discussion on Find your cabinet here within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello all. I was trying to find out why I was unable to get Sky's fibre optic broadband package, or ...

Mark O is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aberkenfig
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Find your cabinet here

Hello all.

I was trying to find out why I was unable to get Sky's fibre optic broadband package, or any fibre optic broadband package for that matter, even when I knew my exchange was accepting orders and a number of cabinets in my local area were now enabled.

There aren't any cabinets close to my house for me to think "that's my cabinet" and I couldn't follow my telephone lines to my to a cabinet as they go underground from my house.
      After speaking to a couple of members here, it was suggested that there was a possibility of me being connected directly to the exchange.
      So I ran my postcode through this site, FTTC Check (found via another post on skyuser ) but it says "no results found" which wasn't a good start but didn't really answer my original question.
      So after some more digging, I came across this site. Fibre to the Cabinet/Premises Postcode Checker which gives a little more detail and tells me that my properties in my postcode have some "exchange only" lines.... much to my disappointment. At the moment it says "Based on December 2011 data" but new data was due to be released this month for this site, apparently.

Although my internet could be a hell of a lot worse to be fair but I wanted fibre and knowing that I probably can't get it makes me want it more lol

The fact that it says "some exchange only lines" gives me a glimmer of hope but still, if I'm not directly connected to the exchange, out of the 2 cabinets I could be connected to, one says the probability of it being enabled is 84% and the other is 15%....

Hope this helps anyone looking for their cabinet and you have better news than me lol

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Find your cabinet here

I guess this is the same data that is provided via the other link that has been provided. Whilst it claims to be from Dec 2011, I dont pay too much attention to the results. Mine suggests that when fibre is installed I will see a drop of 58% vs my adsl2+ speed so make of that what you will.
      Ipster likes this.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to reddwarfcrew For This Useful Post:

Mark O (20-05-12)

dtr44 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: halfway wshal
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

hi
      my checker says fttc is in phase 2 of bt open reach ,any idea's the time scale [2014 maybe?

nijohc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dtr44 View Post
      hi
      my checker says fttc is in phase 2 of bt open reach ,any idea's the time scale [2014 maybe?
      My cabinet is phase 2 and it was done 2 years ago, they're on phase 9 now afaik.

Laprion is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SMBT
      Broadband ISP: SBUF From 1st May
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

say my cab is P75 but i have 2 cabs on my road would they putme on the closet cab which i think is less that 210 meters compared to 300m

01 May, 2012 09:49:39 37888 Kbps 1644 Kbps

old
      [URL=http://www.speedtest.net/result/1923444745.png[/URL]
      Sky User Speed Tester - 30 April, 2012 08:54:22 - 2176 Kbps - 637 Kbps

nijohc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Laprion View Post
      say my cab is P75 but i have 2 cabs on my road would they putme on the closet cab which i think is less that 210 meters compared to 300m
      You could be on either tbh but at least the distance is not that great between them.
      Laprion likes this.

Laprion is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SMBT
      Broadband ISP: SBUF From 1st May
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nijohc View Post
      You could be on either tbh but at least the distance is not that great between them.
      I'll ask BTO when they are here since i got an estimated increase from 40 to 69.5 only after that was installed (if i was on a 80/20 connection)

01 May, 2012 09:49:39 37888 Kbps 1644 Kbps

old
      [URL=http://www.speedtest.net/result/1923444745.png[/URL]
      Sky User Speed Tester - 30 April, 2012 08:54:22 - 2176 Kbps - 637 Kbps

Ipster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

It is just the same data as the pcp document from Dec 2011, and of course due to the change to 17a profile the speed increase is wrong but it does give some their cabinet number and phase details.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ipster For This Useful Post:

reddwarfcrew (29-04-12)

Moxey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: SkyQ Hub ER110
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2TB + Mini
      Thanks

All these sites are just peoples home made web interfaces, just like the 1 stickied on this forum, that give the details listed in the PCP document that we have been using for months to help people try to locate the PCP cab that their telephone line connects to but some of the wording used sometiems for the results can be confusing and misleading.
      This info is from an old leaked BTO document which was copied from the BTO site when it accidentally became publicly visible late last year and so some info like the uplift is now out of date and it wont include cab info for the more recently added exchanges to the roll out plans however for those in exchange areas that were included at the time of this document leak it can show you which PCP number your line comes from but you then have to physically find out where this PCP cab actually is yourself.
      There is talk of a new document being due or there could already have been 1 or even more new documents since the 1 being used but unless it gets leaked from the private area of the BTO website then we wont get access to the newer data.

@Mark O
      The percentage figures given for the 2 possible cabs are the proportion of lines for the post code area that come from each of the cabs, so 84% of the lines come from the 1 PCP and 15% of the lines come from the other PCP so your line could come from either cab. The figure does not mean a probability of a PCP being enabled, the PCP's that are listed as deployed were all planned to be done at the time of the document leak.
      NewsreadeR likes this.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Moxey For This Useful Post:

Mark O (01-05-12)

Mark O is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aberkenfig
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moxey View Post

@Mark O
      The percentage figures given for the 2 possible cabs are the proportion of lines for the post code area that come from each of the cabs, so 84% of the lines come from the 1 PCP and 15% of the lines come from the other PCP so your line could come from either cab. The figure does not mean a probability of a PCP being enabled, the PCP's that are listed as deployed were all planned to be done at the time of the document leak.

Ahh, thanks for clearing that up for me